    primary?

    Thks,
    Rick
    Rick, Nov 29, 2005

  2. Rick

    DaveL Guest

    If you can still boot the primary then you are extremely lucky. Break the
    array and replace the secondary and then do a duplication rebuild. Only try
    to rebuild a failed drive after you have run the manufacturer's utility and
    verified it's tracks. Even then it might fail again.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Nov 30, 2005

  3. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Thanks for your help.
    I bought a replacement drive and installed it. Unfortunately I put it
    in the sata 3 slot which is another master, primary slot. When I broke
    the array and went to rebuilt it with the new drive there is no way to
    know which is the existing primary and which is the new replacement
    drive as it is listed as primary as well. No way to tell which drive is
    which. I did not take the chance of overwriting my good drive so I shut
    down and switched the sata from 3 to 4 (secondary). Now the only way I
    can boot is to turn raid off which means I can not rebuild.
    It looks like I have 2 choices:
    1- Start from scratch. Setup the array. Clear the disks, reinstall
    windows, re-register apps, pain, pain ,pain.
    -or-
    2- Keep my primary as my bootable single drive and setup a non bootable
    array for data only.

    All my data is backed up to a removable drive but it takes a couple of
    days to reinstall every thing I have and get it all working again so...
    Is there a way to create a bootable raid 1 array now or should I just
    use option #2??

    Rick
    Rick, Dec 2, 2005