NVIDIA RAID Config Question?

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by R Guzman, Apr 4, 2006.

  1. R Guzman

    R Guzman Guest

    Here my question? How do I know my RAID configuration is running the way it
    should on my Shuttle AN51R Motherboard for Athlon 64?

    Here's why I ask; after downloading the drivers and installing them on MS XP
    Home Addition, I thought all was fine. I'm using two 35 GB Raptor drives in
    a striped RAID configuration.

    After installing XP Home, I was could see the RAID NVIDIA Stripe 68.95G
    listing in my Device Manager under Disk Drives. Here, it reports that "This
    device is working properly".

    Well, fine so far, but here is why I ask my question? When I go to the
    computer Management Panel and select "Disk Management", I find the
    following.

    Disk0 - C: 34.46 GB NTFS Healthy (System).

    Then I see the 2nd drive as unallocated, 34.49 GB Unallocated?

    Does this make sense?

    Secondly, I noticed something gets loaded or during Windows startup, but in
    DOS mode. Could this be the NVIDIA RAID/SCSI Drivers I installed?

    But why would this be necessary? The reason I ask, is before XP loads, I see
    in DOS mode a progress bar, then windows loads. This seams odd to me, since
    the RAID are installed with XP during the installation procedure when I
    provide the manufactured Disk? Just find this old.

    Thanks for any information.

    R Guzman, Apr 4, 2006

  2. R Guzman

    NewMan Guest

    I have a RAID5 controller in our server. When the server boots, you
    see a DOS screen which gives you some keystroke option to enter the
    configuration mode ctrl-h or ctrl-a or something like that.

    This is normal.

    Here is what I beleive you need to do:

    Your motherboard has an on-board RAID controller. You need to go into
    the BIOS as the machine is POSTing and enable your RAID controller.

    The manual for your motherboard says it is located under the
    "Integrated Peripherals", "Onboard IDE Device", "RAID Function
    Setup". My guess is that you want what appears to be the SATA Master
    RAID option, but you will have to see for yourself in the BIOS when
    you get there. Choose your desired option, save settings and reboot.

    As the system reboots, you should see a DOS screen for the RAID
    controller. There should be a key sequence to allow you to enter the
    Configuration Mode. You need to enter the configuration mode and
    configure the RAID array BEFORE you install windows.

    A properly configured hardware RAID array is transparent to Windows.
    Windows Disk Management cannot tell how many drives are actually in a
    hardware RAID array, all it sees is one "volume".

    From what you have described, it tells me that you are not currently
    running a hardware RAID array at all (since windows can see the other
    drive).

    Now, you need to be careful here. If you activate and configure the
    RAID controller, you could lose everything you have on the disks which
    will be included in the RAID array! So if Windows is on that disk....

    If you have critical stuff on the disk, then I would Ghost your
    windows install onto another hard drive using the DOS booatble Norton
    Ghost disk, then wipe your SATA drives clean. THEN get into the
    configuration utility and create the RAID array.

    You could then use something like Partition Magic 8 to re-create the
    partition for Windows, and then Ghost your windows install back onto
    the properly configured RAID array.

    But if you do not have anything critical on the drives, just wipe
    them, configure the RAID array in hardware, and reinstall windows.

    Be aware, when WindowsXP is intalling there is a point where it says
    something like "Press key now to load 3rd party RAID or Disk drivers".
    Have your nVidia disk ready, and press that key, as WinXP wont
    recognize the RAID array if you don't load the driver at this point.
    Come to think of it, you might wind up reinstalling windows anyways
    because of this.

    Looks like you have a bit of work ahead of you, but one done it will
    be well worth it.

    hth

    NewMan, Apr 4, 2006

  3. R Guzman

    R Guzman Guest

    Thanks a bunch for your response. I'll need to reinstall following your
    instructions.

    Just one last question? Since I have two 35GB drives in a Stripped RAID
    configuration, would XP see them as one 70GB Disk?

    Regards, R.

    R Guzman, Apr 6, 2006
  4. R Guzman

    NewMan Guest

    Windows will definitely see them as ONE "volume". As to the size of
    that volume it will depend upong the configuration you choose.

    When I set up our server, I put 3 x 72GB LVD SCSI drives into a RAID5
    array. The resulting volume was about 150 GB.

    The final size of your volume will depend upon how much redundancy is
    built in to the configuration you choose. For a quick explanation of
    RAID try here:

    http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid5_gci214332,00.html

    Only one way to find out for sure! ;)

    Let us know how it goes.

    NewMan, Apr 6, 2006
  5. R Guzman

    R Guzman Guest

    Thanks again. I will follow your instructions and give it a go.

    Regards, R

    R Guzman, Apr 10, 2006