O/C Voltage on Opteron 146

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by gl, May 10, 2006.

  1. gl

    gl Guest

    Hi,

    Hope someone can help with my o/c.

    Setup is an Asrock Dual Sata mb, Opteron 146, 2 sticks of PC4000 in dual
    mode and Hiper 580w psu.
    I have an Opteron 146 which is 15hr Prime stable at 2.92Ghz at 1.4v.

    Getting past this speed is proving impossible though.
    I've bumped the voltage to 1.425v and 1.45v and the only thing going up is
    the temperature from 46 to 52 under priming load, max o/c stays the same
    Also tried changing fsb and mulitplier 292x10 to 325x9 and above, no help
    though, as well as relaxing memory timings and memory dividers.

    Do i need more than a 1.4 to a 1.45v increase to continue o/cing (mb needs a
    volt mod to go past 1.45v) or is something else holding me back?

    thanks for any help,
    Glenn

    gl, May 10, 2006

  2. gl

    Pete Guest

    Hi:

    You can try upping the chipset and ldt voltages. I also found that
    loosening the RAM timings can add to the instability.

    I don't know why, but tightening the timings actually helped me gain
    stability at faster RAM speeds.

    Best wishes,

    Pete

    Pete, May 10, 2006

  3. gl

    Paul Guest

    In article <>, "gl"
    <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Hope someone can help with my o/c.
    >
    > Setup is an Asrock Dual Sata mb, Opteron 146, 2 sticks of PC4000 in dual
    > mode and Hiper 580w psu.
    > I have an Opteron 146 which is 15hr Prime stable at 2.92Ghz at 1.4v.
    >
    > Getting past this speed is proving impossible though.
    > I've bumped the voltage to 1.425v and 1.45v and the only thing going up is
    > the temperature from 46 to 52 under priming load, max o/c stays the same
    > Also tried changing fsb and mulitplier 292x10 to 325x9 and above, no help
    > though, as well as relaxing memory timings and memory dividers.
    >
    > Do i need more than a 1.4 to a 1.45v increase to continue o/cing (mb needs a
    > volt mod to go past 1.45v) or is something else holding me back?
    >
    > thanks for any help,
    > Glenn

    Turn down your memory clock, so you can get a more heroic
    core overclock.

    Opteron 146 @ 3520MHz (Air) :)
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85752

    Paul

    Paul, May 10, 2006
  4. gl

    gl Guest

    Unfortunately this mb doesn't support chipset and ldt voltage changes, just
    memory and cpu:(

    Which memory timings did you tighten to improve your o/c?

    thanks for the help,
    Glenn

    gl, May 10, 2006
  5. gl

    Pete Guest

    Try cranking up DRAM Drive strength and DRAM data drive strength.

    Best wishes,

    Pete

    Pete, May 11, 2006
  6. gl

    gl Guest

    These options aren't on my mb. It's a budget Asrock not a DFI which it
    sounds like you have.

    Thanks for all your help Pete, appreciated,

    regards,
    Glenn

    gl, May 11, 2006
  7. gl

    dawg Guest

    If the BIOS has HTT setting.lower it to 3 from 4 or from 5 to 4.

    dawg, May 11, 2006
  8. gl

    gl Guest

    Its set at 600(=x3) in the cpu settings.
    I think what's needed is a chipset voltage increase for this mb like on my
    old DFI nf2.

    thanks,
    Glenn

    gl, May 12, 2006