1. This forum section is a read-only archive which contains old newsgroup posts. If you wish to post a query, please do so in one of our main forum sections (here). This way you will get a faster, better response from the members on Motherboard Point.

OC Athlon 64 X@ 4200+ on Gigabyte board

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by cjohnson1379@earthlink.net, Mar 7, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I just set up my new system and it runs fine at default but I can't
    seem to overclock it without problems. Here's a brief description of
    the system.

    GA-M55Plus-S3g (rev1)
    Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (90nm)
    Corsair VS1GBKIT667D2 memory
    Aspire case w/500W power supply
    Added Northbridge fan
    Seagate 160GB SATA 300 HDD
    WinTV PVR-150
    NEC DVD-R DL drive
    5 case fans


    I can get the clock to 210, leaving everything else alone. I tried
    lowering the HTT multiplier to 4X and setting the Memory to DDR533 so
    I don't OC anything but the processor. At 250 x 10 (2.5GHz) it will
    run without errors if it POSTs. Problem is, it hangs or POSTs in safe
    mode half the time. I'm using the stock AMD Heatsink but heat
    doesn't
    seem to be an issue. I have tried raising VCore to no avail. I even
    tried lowering the HT multiplier to 3X and CPU to 9X so the CPU is
    barely overclocked. It just doesn't like the clock over 210. Any
    ideas?


    Chris
    , Mar 7, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Ed Light Guest

    I'm not familiar with that board, but if it has a north and south bridge
    then you may have to lower the multiplier for the ht connection between
    them. Had to do that for a geforce 6100 board. It clocked to 300 fine then.


    --
    Ed Light

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.
    Ed Light, Mar 8, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Wes Newell Guest

    On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 13:08:14 -0800, cjohnson1379 wrote:

    > I just set up my new system and it runs fine at default but I can't
    > seem to overclock it without problems. Here's a brief description of
    > the system.
    >
    > GA-M55Plus-S3g (rev1)
    > Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (90nm)
    > Corsair VS1GBKIT667D2 memory
    > Aspire case w/500W power supply
    > Added Northbridge fan
    > Seagate 160GB SATA 300 HDD
    > WinTV PVR-150
    > NEC DVD-R DL drive
    > 5 case fans
    >
    >
    > I can get the clock to 210, leaving everything else alone. I tried
    > lowering the HTT multiplier to 4X and setting the Memory to DDR533 so
    > I don't OC anything but the processor. At 250 x 10 (2.5GHz) it will
    > run without errors if it POSTs. Problem is, it hangs or POSTs in safe
    > mode half the time. I'm using the stock AMD Heatsink but heat
    > doesn't
    > seem to be an issue. I have tried raising VCore to no avail. I even
    > tried lowering the HT multiplier to 3X and CPU to 9X so the CPU is
    > barely overclocked. It just doesn't like the clock over 210. Any
    > ideas?
    >

    I've got the same board with an X2 3800+. I had no problem setting the CPU
    frequency to 233Mhz and rebooting at default vcore. I may have lowered HT
    to 4x but don't recall. Set ram not to exceed 167Mhz. Don't recall what
    ram brand I have but it's ddr667 and cheap. I didn't try any other
    settings, and then set it back to default for 24/7 operation.


    --
    Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
    http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
    My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
    HD Tivo S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm
    Wes Newell, Mar 8, 2007
    #3
  4. Guest


    > I've got the same board with an X2 3800+. I had no problem setting the CPU
    > frequency to 233Mhz and rebooting at default vcore. I may have lowered HT
    > to 4x but don't recall. Set ram not to exceed 167Mhz. Don't recall what
    > ram brand I have but it's ddr667 and cheap. I didn't try any other
    > settings, and then set it back to default for 24/7 operation.
    >
    > --
    > Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder?http://mythtv.orghttp://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.htmlUsenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
    > My serverhttp://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
    > HD Tivo S3 comparedhttp://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    Wes,
    Thanks for the mobo recomendation. It does everything I need but I
    wish it would OC a little more. How do I set the memory like you say
    to not exceed 167MHz. I only see settings for 400, 533, 667, and 800.
    I set it to 533 when I overclocked it. Like I said, it's stable in
    Windows if it POSTs. Easytune seems to work but I don't feel
    comfortable with it.

    Chris
    , Mar 9, 2007
    #4
  5. Wes Newell Guest

    On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 14:07:44 -0800, cjohnson1379 wrote:

    > Thanks for the mobo recomendation. It does everything I need but I
    > wish it would OC a little more. How do I set the memory like you say
    > to not exceed 167MHz. I only see settings for 400, 533, 667, and 800.
    > I set it to 533 when I overclocked it. Like I said, it's stable in
    > Windows if it POSTs. Easytune seems to work but I don't feel
    > comfortable with it.
    >

    I couldn't remember so I had to shut down to get into the bios. I left
    everything at default, auto, or normal in the MIT section then just raised
    the cpu frequency. No problem at 234MHz. Failed at 266MHz and had to clear
    cmos. Worked ok at 240MHz. At 250MHz the smartbios told me to fix it.:) I
    didn't do any increments other than 10, so 244 or something may have
    worked. i don't really care. At 266MHz when it wouldn't post, I was
    getting ram failure beeps though. It also didn't like it when I set the
    ram to DDR400. that's kind of strange. As this is my web/ftp/mythtv server
    I didn't do any more testing than that. I also couldn't find a setting to
    lower HT anywhere in the bios. Maybe I'll see if there's a new bios
    available although I really don't plan on overclocking it for server use.

    --
    Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
    http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
    My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
    HD Tivo S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm
    Wes Newell, Mar 10, 2007
    #5
  6. Chris Guest

    Hmm, I was just thinking that on my Gigabyte board I don't usually get to
    see the cool options in the bios until I use CTRL + F1 in the bios main
    screen. Maybe that would reveal the hidden options for you wes?


    "Wes Newell" <> wrote in message
    news:HBsIh.510$8u4.352@trnddc08...
    > On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 14:07:44 -0800, cjohnson1379 wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the mobo recomendation. It does everything I need but I
    >> wish it would OC a little more. How do I set the memory like you say
    >> to not exceed 167MHz. I only see settings for 400, 533, 667, and 800.
    >> I set it to 533 when I overclocked it. Like I said, it's stable in
    >> Windows if it POSTs. Easytune seems to work but I don't feel
    >> comfortable with it.
    >>

    > I couldn't remember so I had to shut down to get into the bios. I left
    > everything at default, auto, or normal in the MIT section then just raised
    > the cpu frequency. No problem at 234MHz. Failed at 266MHz and had to clear
    > cmos. Worked ok at 240MHz. At 250MHz the smartbios told me to fix it.:) I
    > didn't do any increments other than 10, so 244 or something may have
    > worked. i don't really care. At 266MHz when it wouldn't post, I was
    > getting ram failure beeps though. It also didn't like it when I set the
    > ram to DDR400. that's kind of strange. As this is my web/ftp/mythtv server
    > I didn't do any more testing than that. I also couldn't find a setting to
    > lower HT anywhere in the bios. Maybe I'll see if there's a new bios
    > available although I really don't plan on overclocking it for server use.
    >
    > --
    > Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
    > http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
    > My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
    > HD Tivo S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm
    >
    Chris, Mar 10, 2007
    #6
  7. Wes Newell Guest

    On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 04:04:42 -0700, Chris wrote:

    > Hmm, I was just thinking that on my Gigabyte board I don't usually get to
    > see the cool options in the bios until I use CTRL + F1 in the bios main
    > screen. Maybe that would reveal the hidden options for you wes?


    Sure did. Forgot about that. Setting Ht to 3x and ram to 533 (usiing 667),
    cpu freq to 260MHz, and vcore to 1.55v worked for 2.6GHz. Failed at
    267MHz. Didn't try any others.

    --
    Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
    http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
    My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
    HD Tivo S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm
    Wes Newell, Mar 10, 2007
    #7
  8. Guest

    On Mar 10, 12:29 pm, Wes Newell <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 04:04:42 -0700, Chris wrote:
    > > Hmm, I was just thinking that on my Gigabyte board I don't usually get to
    > > see the cool options in the bios until I use CTRL + F1 in the bios main
    > > screen. Maybe that would reveal the hidden options for you wes?

    >
    > Sure did. Forgot about that. Setting Ht to 3x and ram to 533 (usiing 667),
    > cpu freq to 260MHz, and vcore to 1.55v worked for 2.6GHz. Failed at
    > 267MHz. Didn't try any others.
    >
    > --
    > Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder?http://mythtv.orghttp://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.htmlUsenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
    > My serverhttp://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
    > HD Tivo S3 comparedhttp://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm


    Looks like I may have success. Instead of using the CPU multiplier of
    10, I went for it at 11. The HT is set at 4X, mem at DDR533, Vcore at
    1.5. It seems to be stable at 250 MHz clock but I doubt I'll leave it
    there. OTOH, the memory doesn't run at it's full potential until you
    reach 2.3 GHz and it's an easy overclock. I'll do some further testing
    to find the point at which the memory doesn't take a hit.

    BTW, I recommend that anyone who owns this board put a fan on the
    Northbridge. Mine was hitting 160 degF at stock config. I bought a
    cooler from CompUSA and just used the fan only.

    Chris
    , Mar 12, 2007
    #8
  9. Lenny_Nero Guest

    cjohnson1379 said

    > Aspire case w/500W power supply


    What is that ?

    I bet it a some 300w 15 amp PSU that will hold everything back, I have a
    Corsair HX 620 and last night I changed the Vcore for the first time to
    (to 1.375 +104.2%) help me get my 4200x2 939 stable at over 2.7 GHz, runs
    fine at stock volts all the way up to 2650 ish MHz.

    The power supply is the most underrated, but often most important single
    thing in a 'clocked system.

    Check out JonnyGuru.com

    L.

    --
    Want to help to keep the best free usenet servers running ?
    http://www.readfreenews.com
    Lenny_Nero, Mar 14, 2007
    #9
  10. Guest

    On Mar 14, 4:46 pm, Lenny_Nero <>
    wrote:
    > cjohnson1379 said
    >
    > > Aspire case w/500W power supply

    >
    > What is that ?
    > snip<


    Oops, it's Apevia but it's the same company. It's a full tower case
    with a 500W power supply.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811144137

    I could test it with a Fuke meter and o'scope but I don't think that's
    it. The problems occur even with the CPU, HTT, and memory
    underclocked. Is the clock generator built into the Southbridge on the
    NForce 430? I can't find a clock gen chip and the Southbridge has 3
    crystals close to it.

    Anyway, it started having boot problems again at 250, but it's perfect
    at 212. I've been playing with NTune and it seems like the longer it
    runs overclocked, the better it gets. NTune puts it at 242 MHz.

    Chris
    , Mar 16, 2007
    #10
  11. Lenny_Nero Guest

    cjohnson1379 said

    > On Mar 14, 4:46 pm, Lenny_Nero <> wrote:
    >> cjohnson1379 said
    >>
    >> > Aspire case w/500W power supply

    >>
    >> What is that ?
    >> snip<

    >
    > Oops, it's Apevia but it's the same company. It's a full tower case with a
    > 500W power supply.
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811144137
    >
    > I could test it with a Fuke meter and o'scope but I don't think that's it.
    > The problems occur even with the CPU, HTT, and memory underclocked. Is the
    > clock generator built into the Southbridge on the NForce 430? I can't find
    > a clock gen chip and the Southbridge has 3 crystals close to it.
    >
    > Anyway, it started having boot problems again at 250, but it's perfect at
    > 212. I've been playing with NTune and it seems like the longer it runs
    > overclocked, the better it gets. NTune puts it at 242 MHz.
    >
    > Chris


    I will say it again, the PSU is one of the most (if not the most)
    important things in an overclocked computer, something that came in a
    cheap case will be unable to give the power needed when you turn the power
    up on a chip, I read a review the otherday (I will try to find the link)
    where the CPU went from drawing ~70 amp to >150amp with a 50 MHz FSB clock.

    I have read so many threads in support forums where the OP said the same
    things as you have and then came back and said, Ok should have just got a
    good PSU... it sorted everything.

    But dont take my word for it, my 4200 is only running at 2750 @ 1.4v.

    L.

    --
    Want to help to keep the best free usenet servers running ?
    http://www.readfreenews.com
    Lenny_Nero, Mar 18, 2007
    #11
  12. Wes Newell Guest

    On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 23:00:23 +0000, Lenny_Nero wrote:

    > I will say it again, the PSU is one of the most (if not the most)
    > important things in an overclocked computer, something that came in a
    > cheap case will be unable to give the power needed when you turn the power
    > up on a chip, I read a review the otherday (I will try to find the link)
    > where the CPU went from drawing ~70 amp to >150amp with a 50 MHz FSB clock.
    >
    > I have read so many threads in support forums where the OP said the same
    > things as you have and then came back and said, Ok should have just got a
    > good PSU... it sorted everything.
    >
    > But dont take my word for it, my 4200 is only running at 2750 @ 1.4v.


    You can say this til the cows come home and it will still be the stuff
    the bull left in the field. I'm running the cheapest PSU I could find.
    Think I paid about $25 for it. Yes, you need a PSU capable of enough watts
    to support your hardware. Not it doesn't have to cost more than $25. In
    the 20+ years I've been building PC's I've never used anything but cheap
    PSU's. Never had a problem except one time when I bought a batch for $2
    each. Had 20% failure rate on them. But even the ones that didn't fail
    within the first month continued running to the point I didn't notice
    any unusual failures. I'm using a Chiefmax in my PC now, I'd wager it
    draws a lot more current than yours. Just the 4 HDTV PCI tuner cards in
    probably draws more than an average PC. I've also got 5 drives in it. And
    while i haven't had mine to 2750MHz, I have had both cores (it's an X2) to
    2600MHz.

    Yes you need good power. No it doesn't have to cost more than $25.

    I bet you buy monster cables too.

    --
    Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
    http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
    My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
    HD Tivo S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm
    Wes Newell, Mar 19, 2007
    #12
  13. Amir Facade Guest

    Wes,
    About 5 years ago I bought a $20 600watt PSU that you recommended, and its
    still running. Haven't bought an expensive one since.
    In my experience, if you've got a big number on the +12v line, you're going
    to be fine. (don't just look at total watts)
    Amir



    "Wes Newell" <> wrote in message
    news:sHpLh.12455$1a6.4717@trnddc08...
    > On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 23:00:23 +0000, Lenny_Nero wrote:
    >
    >> I will say it again, the PSU is one of the most (if not the most)
    >> important things in an overclocked computer, something that came in a
    >> cheap case will be unable to give the power needed when you turn the
    >> power
    >> up on a chip, I read a review the otherday (I will try to find the link)
    >> where the CPU went from drawing ~70 amp to >150amp with a 50 MHz FSB
    >> clock.
    >>
    >> I have read so many threads in support forums where the OP said the same
    >> things as you have and then came back and said, Ok should have just got a
    >> good PSU... it sorted everything.
    >>
    >> But dont take my word for it, my 4200 is only running at 2750 @ 1.4v.

    >
    > You can say this til the cows come home and it will still be the stuff
    > the bull left in the field. I'm running the cheapest PSU I could find.
    > Think I paid about $25 for it. Yes, you need a PSU capable of enough watts
    > to support your hardware. Not it doesn't have to cost more than $25. In
    > the 20+ years I've been building PC's I've never used anything but cheap
    > PSU's. Never had a problem except one time when I bought a batch for $2
    > each. Had 20% failure rate on them. But even the ones that didn't fail
    > within the first month continued running to the point I didn't notice
    > any unusual failures. I'm using a Chiefmax in my PC now, I'd wager it
    > draws a lot more current than yours. Just the 4 HDTV PCI tuner cards in
    > probably draws more than an average PC. I've also got 5 drives in it. And
    > while i haven't had mine to 2750MHz, I have had both cores (it's an X2) to
    > 2600MHz.
    >
    > Yes you need good power. No it doesn't have to cost more than $25.
    >
    > I bet you buy monster cables too.
    >
    > --
    > Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
    > http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
    > My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
    > HD Tivo S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm
    >
    Amir Facade, Mar 19, 2007
    #13
  14. Wes Newell Guest

    On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 09:08:54 -0400, Amir Facade wrote:

    > Wes,
    > About 5 years ago I bought a $20 600watt PSU that you recommended, and its
    > still running. Haven't bought an expensive one since.
    > In my experience, if you've got a big number on the +12v line, you're going
    > to be fine. (don't just look at total watts)
    > Amir
    >

    The major cost difference between PSU's is the manufacture and support
    group salaries. The parts all cost about the same. There's at least 1 hour
    of labor that goes into every PSU. In the US, that labor would cost $20.
    In the far east, that labor will cost about 10 cents., Ditto for marketing
    and support staff. Why this on beyond peoples understanding is beyond me.
    Labor includes all parts and even the box it's shipped in. generally, all
    the units are made overseas. When paying the extra for a more expensive
    one, it's usually just for local country support people.

    --
    Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
    http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
    My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
    HD Tivo S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm
    Wes Newell, Mar 19, 2007
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. gogi
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    346
  2. John Perry
    Replies:
    24
    Views:
    1,392
    John Perry
    Sep 2, 2006
  3. John Perry
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    472
    djrinsa
    Sep 26, 2006
  4. Home Theatre Guy
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    473
    Home Theatre Guy
    Oct 21, 2006
  5. Home Theatre Guy
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    513
    Home Theatre Guy
    Oct 21, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page