OC experience...

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Jack R, Jun 18, 2007.

  1. Jack R

    Jack R Guest

    I've been reading this group for a while now, and have learned a lot about
    OC'ing, temperature management, and much more.
    I now have my system at a very stable point with noticeable performance
    improvements, and acceptable cooling performance.
    I thought my setup description might prove useful to others playing with
    OC'ing.

    System:
    MB: ASUS P5N-E SLI BIOS 0505 3/5/07
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz
    Stock heat sink and fan
    RAM: 2x 1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 PC2 6400, 800MHz, 4,4,4,12,2T
    Video: eVga 8800GTS, 320MB 500MHz GPU, 400MHz RAMDAC
    Default: Core 513MHz, Mem 792 MHz
    Driver: nVidia 7.15.11.5845 5/27/07 (158.45)
    PSU: Coolmax CXI 500W 120mm fan set to High
    Tower case with side port for CPU cooling. The 'snorkel' has been extended
    with tape to better meet with the CPU fan...big improvement!
    90mm front and rear case fans
    OS: Vista Ultimate 32 bit

    Stable OC settings:
    CPU: 350 x 9 = 3150GHz (31+% OC)
    Core V set to +.100v
    Memory V set to 2.085v
    Memory: 4,4,4,12,2T Trc 22; fsb:DRAM 5:6, 420MHz (840MHz x2)
    Video: Core 564 MHz, Mem 871 MHz (10% OC)

    Max temps w/Orthos "Stress CPU with Gromacs core":
    Note: this gives higher temps than "Blend - stress CPU and RAM" on this
    system.
    Case 50C, Core (1&2) 62C, Video card 39C (ambient 21C)
    Video temp measured with external thermometer with sensor on the hottest
    point of the back (top) of the video card.

    The one thing that still eludes me is where to find an accurate utility for
    reporting the Vcore value.
    Every util I've tried, either gives a different reading or exactly the same
    reading (majority does not rule here..erroneous measurements reported
    multiple times do not improve accuracy).

    Which measurement utility do you folks regard as the most accurate: BIOS
    hardware, CPU-Z, Speedfan, Fresh Diag, or ...???

    Thanks,
    --
    Jack R

    Jack R, Jun 18, 2007