Odd hard-drive behaviour

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by goonalicious, May 6, 2004.

  1. goonalicious

    goonalicious Guest

    Hey,

    I recently installed an old 256 MB hard-drive from an old 386 I had
    lying about into a late '99 model 500 MHz Celeron box. It works almost
    perfectly, except for the following little problem...

    Every so often, when the machine is booted, Linux (my OS of choice -
    no flames please; you use what you like) takes an extrememly long time
    to carry out a partition check on the drive (it does this every time
    you boot.) Before I started mutting around with the OS, I checked out
    the BIOS... it hung whilst trying to auto-detect settings for the
    drive. I figured there must be a hardware fault with the drive -
    seeing as it was so old I couldn't expect much more.

    Other times when I boot the machine, Linux checks the drive and goes
    on as per normal, only pausing momentarily - as if there was nothing
    wrong with it.

    I then began to think "what the hell" - just try and use the drive and
    see what happens. So I conducted a high level format (ext2 filesystem)
    and then block checked it - to my surprise the tests returned no
    failures... the drive was apparently perfect. After the format and
    block check, I mounted the drive into the filesystem and copied over
    some files.

    Oh yes... mounting. On some occasions the drive mounts perfectly - no
    pause whatsoever. On others, the shell freezes momentarily for
    approximately 1 minute. (I have no idea what it is doing during this
    time.)

    Now, the files are still there - and are still intact. What I don't
    like about this is that I have to keep rebooting the machine until the
    hard-drive is properly picked up and is able to be mounted without a
    pause... Otherwise when there is a pause in mounting, files take a
    painfully long time to transfer.(It can take far over 5 minutes to
    transfer over a small JPEG.)

    By the way, I am running 2.4.20 and as you can most likely tell, am a
    recent Linux-convert - my 'nix skills are very limited, although I
    have been using computers for longer than I care to remember. (Guess I
    should've started with the tux a little earlier, eh)

    Any help would be greatly appreciated, I also understand I haven't
    included much of my system's specifications. I'll post specs up as
    required.

    Thankyou

    goonalicious, May 6, 2004

  2. goonalicious

    Tom Guest

    I'd say intermittant faults like this tend to happen with old hard
    drives. I wouldn't trust it much if I were you - it could fail any
    time!!

    - Tom

    Tom, May 6, 2004

  3. goonalicious

    goonalicious Guest

    (Tom) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I'd say intermittant faults like this tend to happen with old hard
    > drives. I wouldn't trust it much if I were you - it could fail any
    > time!!
    >
    > - Tom

    Yes, age would definitely have something to do with it - I just
    thought it was strange for it to begin working every second boot.
    (Kinda like a car starting on a cold morning.) The hard-drive actually
    doesn't need to be in there... it was more a learning experience
    (Linux, multiple hard disks and such.)

    Anyway, thankyou for your reply.

    goonalicious, May 9, 2004