    cpu should b ok

    unfortunately this old hardware has been all but forgotten
    does OK for most things
    bill bixby, Dec 10, 2004

  2. bill bixby

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 07:34:52 +0000, bill bixby wrote:

    > here is a foot drager i am running a a7v133(rev?.?) and a 1.4 athlon
    > thunderbird core how much can i really get out of it

    You'll get as much out of it in the board you have as you will in any
    other, but that's not going to be much more than the base 1400MHz.
    If it's a C model (10.5x133), You can unlock the mutiplier by closing the
    L1 bridges. That would give you access to multipliers up to 12.5x133MHz
    for a speed of 1666MHz. But don't count on even getting close to that
    speed. The cpu just doesn't have that much headroom.
    If it's the B model, then you can just raise the default FSB of 100MHz
    up to a max of 133MHz, but again, don't expect the cpu to operate anywhere
    close to that.

    > this will be mostly a server..since there are ppl using P90s as a server
    > this cpu should b ok

    More than sufficient with the right software.

    > unfortunately this old hardware has been all but forgotten
    > does OK for most things

    It's probably close to as fast as the A64 I use clocked down to 800MHz
    most of the time.:)

    Wes Newell, Dec 10, 2004

  3. bill bixby

    bill bixby Guest

    Wes Newell <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 07:34:52 +0000, bill bixby wrote:
    >
    >> here is a foot drager i am running a a7v133(rev?.?) and a 1.4 athlon
    >> thunderbird core how much can i really get out of it

    > You'll get as much out of it in the board you have as you will in any
    > other, but that's not going to be much more than the base 1400MHz.
    > If it's a C model (10.5x133), You can unlock the mutiplier by closing the
    > L1 bridges. That would give you access to multipliers up to 12.5x133MHz
    > for a speed of 1666MHz. But don't count on even getting close to that
    > speed. The cpu just doesn't have that much headroom.
    > If it's the B model, then you can just raise the default FSB of 100MHz
    > up to a max of 133MHz, but again, don't expect the cpu to operate

    anywhere
    > close to that.
    >
    >> this will be mostly a server..since there are ppl using P90s as a server
    >> this cpu should b ok
    >>

    > More than sufficient with the right software.
    >
    >> unfortunately this old hardware has been all but forgotten
    >> does OK for most things

    > It's probably close to as fast as the A64 I use clocked down to 800MHz
    > most of the time.:)

    argh thats what i have done allready 12x133~143 pc133 memory

    but the thing does fine for browsing D/Ling U/Ling
    but video processing times really are horrid at this speed
    so guess no 20x on these too bad

    still probally use it in the soyo kt880 board if possible 12 drives off
    mobo DROOLS and a decient nic(or 2) etc etc beats my old board now the
    price is still abit high for the ol miser but 90 is about as low as its
    going...
    bill bixby, Dec 10, 2004
  4. bill bixby

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:43:13 +0000, bill bixby wrote:

    > argh thats what i have done allready 12x133~143 pc133 memory

    1700MHz is a pretty good overclock for a TB 1400C. You must have some good
    cooling.

    > but the thing does fine for browsing D/Ling U/Ling
    > but video processing times really are horrid at this speed
    > so guess no 20x on these too bad

    The lack of SSE instructions in the Tbird probably hurts this performance
    quite a bit in video processing, although I have no experience in this
    field. If you find that to be the case, then upgrading to an XP or XP-M
    with SSE should help considerably. If it's IO intensive then a faster FSB
    would of course be the answer.

    Wes Newell, Dec 10, 2004