    remains cool (gets warm when plugged into the laptop).

    Thanks
    , Nov 6, 2005

  2. Jerry Park Guest

    wrote:
    > I use a powered USB hub in place of a docking station for my laptop -
    > have a full size keyboard, a printer, and a wireless mouse on the hub.
    > I just plug the hub USB cord into the laptop USB port when I use the
    > laptop at home.
    >
    > I also have a second AC adapter cord that I use at home. Is there any
    > harm in leaving the AC adapter powered (plugged into AC power) all the
    > time? The 'green' power indicator stays on all the time but the adapter
    > remains cool (gets warm when plugged into the laptop).
    >
    > Thanks

    I leave mine plugged in almost always. The system is three years old
    with no problems.
    Jerry Park, Nov 6, 2005

  3. On 6 Nov 2005 06:06:44 -0800, wrote:

    >I use a powered USB hub in place of a docking station for my laptop -
    >have a full size keyboard, a printer, and a wireless mouse on the hub.
    >I just plug the hub USB cord into the laptop USB port when I use the
    >laptop at home.
    >
    >I also have a second AC adapter cord that I use at home. Is there any
    >harm in leaving the AC adapter powered (plugged into AC power) all the
    >time? The 'green' power indicator stays on all the time but the adapter
    >remains cool (gets warm when plugged into the laptop).
    >
    >Thanks

    Opinions (and user experience) seems to differ, but I would guess
    "most" experience battery life shortening if the battery remains on
    the charger all the time. If you remove the battery, then I see no
    reason to not leave the power on continuously.
    Charlie Hoffpauir
    Charlie Hoffpauir, Nov 6, 2005
  4. Guest

    Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
    > On 6 Nov 2005 06:06:44 -0800, wrote:
    >
    ><<cut>>
    > >
    > >I also have a second AC adapter cord that I use at home. Is there any
    > >harm in leaving the AC adapter powered (plugged into AC power) all the
    > >time? The 'green' power indicator stays on all the time but the adapter
    > >remains cool (gets warm when plugged into the laptop).
    > >
    > >Thanks

    > Opinions (and user experience) seems to differ, but I would guess
    > "most" experience battery life shortening if the battery remains on
    > the charger all the time. If you remove the battery, then I see no
    > reason to not leave the power on continuously.
    > Charlie Hoffpauir
    > http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

    Maybe I should have been more clear - it's only the AC adapter that I
    would leave plugged in to the AC wall socket all the time - the laptop
    is only connected when I want to use the laptop. So my question was -
    does it harm the adapter module to have AC current all the time - i.e.,
    can the adapter wear out by being powered 24/7 for months at a time?

    Thanks
    , Nov 6, 2005
  5. John Doue Guest

    wrote:

    > Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
    >
    >>On 6 Nov 2005 06:06:44 -0800, wrote:
    >>
    >><<cut>>
    >>
    >>>I also have a second AC adapter cord that I use at home. Is there any
    >>>harm in leaving the AC adapter powered (plugged into AC power) all the
    >>>time? The 'green' power indicator stays on all the time but the adapter
    >>>remains cool (gets warm when plugged into the laptop).
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

    >>Opinions (and user experience) seems to differ, but I would guess
    >>"most" experience battery life shortening if the battery remains on
    >>the charger all the time. If you remove the battery, then I see no
    >>reason to not leave the power on continuously.
    >>Charlie Hoffpauir
    >>http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

    > Maybe I should have been more clear - it's only the AC adapter that I
    > would leave plugged in to the AC wall socket all the time - the laptop
    > is only connected when I want to use the laptop. So my question was -
    > does it harm the adapter module to have AC current all the time - i.e.,
    > can the adapter wear out by being powered 24/7 for months at a time?
    >
    > Thanks

    If I understand what you are saying, you intend to leave the AC adapter
    plugged in all the time and to connect the laptop only when needed.
    Well, this practice is certainly not going to harm the adapter ... but I
    doubt it is wise to proceed this way. I personally believe the adapter
    should be first plugged in the laptop, and only then, to the power. This
    is the best way to avoid any spike to the laptop. But probably someone
    knowing more technically about this issue can confirm or infirm my views.

    Regards

    --
    John Doue
    John Doue, Nov 6, 2005
  6. On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 18:46:54 GMT, John Doue <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
    >>
    >>>On 6 Nov 2005 06:06:44 -0800, wrote:
    >>>
    >>><<cut>>

    >>>Opinions (and user experience) seems to differ, but I would guess
    >>>"most" experience battery life shortening if the battery remains on
    >>>the charger all the time. If you remove the battery, then I see no
    >>>reason to not leave the power on continuously.
    >>>Charlie Hoffpauir
    >>>http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

    >> Maybe I should have been more clear - it's only the AC adapter that I
    >> would leave plugged in to the AC wall socket all the time - the laptop
    >> is only connected when I want to use the laptop. So my question was -
    >> does it harm the adapter module to have AC current all the time - i.e.,
    >> can the adapter wear out by being powered 24/7 for months at a time?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >If I understand what you are saying, you intend to leave the AC adapter
    >plugged in all the time and to connect the laptop only when needed.
    >Well, this practice is certainly not going to harm the adapter ... but I
    >doubt it is wise to proceed this way. I personally believe the adapter
    >should be first plugged in the laptop, and only then, to the power. This
    >is the best way to avoid any spike to the laptop. But probably someone
    >knowing more technically about this issue can confirm or infirm my views.
    >
    >Regards

    I think John is correct, that it won't harm the adapter. I also think
    (but don't know for certain) that it won't harm the laptop.... in
    fact, had I such an adapter, I think I'd want to leave it on all the
    time also. It seems the logical way to use one to me.
    Charlie Hoffpauir
    Charlie Hoffpauir, Nov 6, 2005
  7. Guest

    Interesting issue John Doue brings up. I believe typically most people
    probably set the laptop on the table, plug the AC adapter into the
    wall socket and then plug the adapter into the laptop. Yet I believe
    somewhere I read something about the proper sequence of connecting a
    laptop to AC power - have no idea if I really read this or simply think
    I did.

    How about others - is there a correct sequence (and why)?

    Thanks
    , Nov 6, 2005
  8. Guest

    I too have two adapters, one at work and one at home.
    I leave both adapters plugged in all the time, since
    several years now, and I have seen no ill effects.
    Thinkpad.

    On 6 Nov 2005 06:06:44 -0800, wrote:

    >I use a powered USB hub in place of a docking station for my laptop -
    >have a full size keyboard, a printer, and a wireless mouse on the hub.
    >I just plug the hub USB cord into the laptop USB port when I use the
    >laptop at home.
    >
    >I also have a second AC adapter cord that I use at home. Is there any
    >harm in leaving the AC adapter powered (plugged into AC power) all the
    >time? The 'green' power indicator stays on all the time but the adapter
    >remains cool (gets warm when plugged into the laptop).

    Lars
    Stockholm
    , Nov 6, 2005
  9. On 6 Nov 2005 13:08:24 -0800, wrote:

    >Interesting issue John Doue brings up. I believe typically most people
    >probably set the laptop on the table, plug the AC adapter into the
    >wall socket and then plug the adapter into the laptop. Yet I believe
    >somewhere I read something about the proper sequence of connecting a
    >laptop to AC power - have no idea if I really read this or simply think
    >I did.
    >
    >How about others - is there a correct sequence (and why)?
    >
    >Thanks

    The recommended sequence is: power every device off; connect all,
    and any other connections e.g., network cables; plug into ac
    lines; then power on, one by one. This reduces the chance of
    electrical shock between devices and cables. This will also
    reduce static discharges although some cables may be grounded so
    there could be discharges.

    If the last thing being connected is the power supply then
    plugging it into the ac line first then into the laptop won't make
    a practical difference for those considerations. Its ac line and
    dc output are isolated and the ps-laptop dc plugs and jacks are
    designed so grounds are made first; any static electricity between
    the two will go through device grounds just as if the psand
    l;aptop were connected first.

    In fact, it's better for the ps to be powered up first then
    connected to the laptop just in case the pack starts charging at
    once although good design will delay the charge start until
    voltages settle.. It is also of no consequence to keep the ps
    plugged in all the time if it stays at room temperature -- in fact
    that may extend its life. Most electronics fails when powered
    up.. This assumes no ac outages of course.

    ..
    H. Dziardziel, Nov 7, 2005
  10. Roy Guest

    >Opinions (and user experience) seems to differ, but I would guess
    ">most" experience battery life shortening if the battery remains on
    >the charger all the time. If you remove the battery, then I see no
    >reason to not leave the power on continuously.
    >Charlie Hoffpauir

    I agree with this....
    When my laptop was new the battery life was 3.5 hours but when I
    continuously used the AC adapter the effectve battery life had become
    2.5 hours!
    Is there anybody here who had similar experience?
    Roy, Nov 7, 2005
  11. wrote:

    > Interesting issue John Doue brings up. I believe typically most people
    > probably set the laptop on the table, plug the AC adapter into the
    > wall socket and then plug the adapter into the laptop. Yet I believe
    > somewhere I read something about the proper sequence of connecting a
    > laptop to AC power - have no idea if I really read this or simply think
    > I did.
    >
    > How about others - is there a correct sequence (and why)?

    I don't see any reason for a "correct" sequence. If there would be spikes
    generated in the notebook from plugging the power supply in, they could be
    generated whether the PS is powered up or not. So that's not a good
    argument for either way. There's also the thought that a power supply is
    not fully stabilized in the start-up phase, so this is always a moment
    where it is in intermediate states that are not the normal operating
    condition, and therefore the probability that odd things happen is higher
    -- which would be an argument for powering it up first and then plugging it
    in.

    Have you ever got that prompt "battery's low, plug in your PS as soon as
    possible"? That's exactly what notebooks and their PSes are made for. Have
    them running, plug the PS in and out as you like even while running it, and
    even more so when it is off. I do that all the time and never had a
    problem.

    Gerhard
    Gerhard Fiedler, Nov 8, 2005