    why is this board not running anymore??? it did so for a long time with this
    cpu...
    thanks for any ideas, Rainer

    Rainer Bitschi, Oct 26, 2005

  2. You will have to enter the bios and reset to the default settings. Then try
    again. It could also be that the boards capacitors dried up with age. It is
    something that if used, is better than being in storage. It keeps the
    capacitors "formed" and able to accept the full charge as designed.

    May be time for a new M/B.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from George Ankner:

    Richard Urban, Oct 27, 2005

  3. "uddarts" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > "" wrote:
    > > I have a very old mainboard Shuttle AE23 v1.1 and a cpu intel
    > > pentium3
    > > 800mhz and some ram 256mb. these components were running in
    > > this very bundle
    > > for many years. then i removed it and had it in a box again
    > > for some years.
    > > now i wanted to build up a secondary system with these 3
    > > parts, i attached a
    > > power supply, a agp graphics card and a keyboard. there is
    > > nothing else
    > > connected.
    > > the problem is when i turn on the system, the cpu fan starts,
    > > power led
    > > lights up, the keyboard leds are flashing, and then...
    > > nothing. not even a
    > > beep, just a very quiet sort of blop coming out of the
    > > speaker, as if one
    > > turns off a big stereo amplifier. i tried different ram,
    > > different graphics
    > > cards, so this cant be the problem. I noticed the small led on
    > > the board did
    > > not light up when i connected power to it. after i replaced
    > > the bios
    > > battery, it lights up as soon as power is connected. but this
    > > did not help
    > > anything.
    > > why is this board not running anymore??? it did so for a long
    > > time with this
    > > cpu...
    > > thanks for any ideas, Rainer

    > either test the 12v yellow + black lead off a 4 wire molex with a
    > digital multimeter or try a different psu.
    >
    > the psu may be getting tired. :D
    >
    > ud
    >
    > --
    > request
    > Topic URL:
    > http://www.hardwareforumz.com/board-shuttle-AE23-boot-anymore-ftopict64147.html
    > http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=321716

    well, i tested another known working power supply unit, mainboard still wont
    boot.
    resetting bios as suggested in another post is simply not possible, because
    there is absolutely nothing on the screen.
    the following came up my mind lately:
    may it be possible that the bios chip got erased somehow, because the bios
    battery was definitely tired???
    i know this normally is not the case, but what is normal here?

    Rainer Bitschi, Oct 29, 2005
  4. Rainer Bitschi

    Stephen Guest

    On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:36:49 +0200, "Rainer Bitschi"
    <> had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

    >"uddarts" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> "" wrote:
    >> > I have a very old mainboard Shuttle AE23 v1.1 and a cpu intel
    >> > pentium3
    >> > 800mhz and some ram 256mb. these components were running in
    >> > this very bundle
    >> > for many years. then i removed it and had it in a box again
    >> > for some years.
    >> > now i wanted to build up a secondary system with these 3
    >> > parts, i attached a
    >> > power supply, a agp graphics card and a keyboard. there is
    >> > nothing else
    >> > connected.
    >> > the problem is when i turn on the system, the cpu fan starts,
    >> > power led
    >> > lights up, the keyboard leds are flashing, and then...
    >> > nothing. not even a
    >> > beep, just a very quiet sort of blop coming out of the
    >> > speaker, as if one
    >> > turns off a big stereo amplifier. i tried different ram,
    >> > different graphics
    >> > cards, so this cant be the problem. I noticed the small led on
    >> > the board did
    >> > not light up when i connected power to it. after i replaced
    >> > the bios
    >> > battery, it lights up as soon as power is connected. but this
    >> > did not help
    >> > anything.
    >> > why is this board not running anymore??? it did so for a long
    >> > time with this
    >> > cpu...
    >> > thanks for any ideas, Rainer

    >> either test the 12v yellow + black lead off a 4 wire molex with a
    >> digital multimeter or try a different psu.
    >>
    >> the psu may be getting tired. :D
    >>
    >> ud
    >>

    >well, i tested another known working power supply unit, mainboard still wont
    >boot.
    >resetting bios as suggested in another post is simply not possible, because
    >there is absolutely nothing on the screen.
    >the following came up my mind lately:
    >may it be possible that the bios chip got erased somehow, because the bios
    >battery was definitely tired???
    >i know this normally is not the case, but what is normal here?

    There should be a jumper on the motherboard to clear the CMOS.

    When the battery goes dead, only the CMOS data is affected.

    Are there any bad capacitors?

    Stephen

    Stephen, Oct 29, 2005
  5. When the battery goes dead the CMOS "IS" cleared. Insert a new battery and
    the CMOS will go to the bios default settings, which may "not" be exactly
    what you particularly need or want.

    Richard Urban, Oct 29, 2005