Old Dell C640, with SATA... just need help identifying a part.

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Matthew Ridge, Jun 21, 2012.

  1. I have an old Dell C640, I call it "Old Man"... maxed out, ram and has
    802.11g network capabilities. It's running Ubuntu, so needless to say
    I am sort of on my own software wise, but I do need some help hardware
    wise.

    I have an adapter, that allows to take the CD drive out and insert a
    second HD into it, in this case a SATA drive.

    It works flawlessly... the problem is I need to find more of these.

    The only thing I have to go on is what is stamped on the back of the
    board.

    e-Sun
    HD001-SA223 REV.A

    That's it...

    Does anyone have an idea where I can get these? I don't want to buy
    anything else with it, I'm looking to purchase some of them, if I need
    to I'll buy bulk. I am creating something for the laptop, that if it
    works will give these old 10 year old laptops a few more years in
    them...

    1. Advertising

  2. Bob_Villa

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:14:02 AM UTC-5, Matthew Ridge wrote:
    > I have an old Dell C640, I call it "Old Man"... maxed out, ram and has
    > 802.11g network capabilities. It's running Ubuntu, so needless to say
    > I am sort of on my own software wise, but I do need some help hardware
    > wise.
    >
    > I have an adapter, that allows to take the CD drive out and insert a
    > second HD into it, in this case a SATA drive.
    >
    > It works flawlessly... the problem is I need to find more of these.
    >
    > The only thing I have to go on is what is stamped on the back of the
    > board.
    >
    > e-Sun
    > HD001-SA223 REV.A
    >
    > That's it...
    >
    > Does anyone have an idea where I can get these? I don't want to buy
    > anything else with it, I'm looking to purchase some of them, if I need
    > to I'll buy bulk. I am creating something for the laptop, that if it
    > works will give these old 10 year old laptops a few more years in
    > them...

    http://www.sztyg.com/

    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    On Thursday, June 21, 2012 12:50:52 PM UTC-4, Bob_Villa wrote:

    > http://www.sztyg.com/

    This I can get to, I just can't seem to navigate their system and figure out the part I am looking for. If it's an individual item that can be sold, or is it part of a larger product and sold in combination.

  4. Pen

    Pen Guest

    On 6/21/2012 10:14 AM, Matthew Ridge wrote:
    > I have an old Dell C640, I call it "Old Man"... maxed out, ram and has
    > 802.11g network capabilities. It's running Ubuntu, so needless to say
    > I am sort of on my own software wise, but I do need some help hardware
    > wise.
    >
    > I have an adapter, that allows to take the CD drive out and insert a
    > second HD into it, in this case a SATA drive.
    >
    > It works flawlessly... the problem is I need to find more of these.
    >
    > The only thing I have to go on is what is stamped on the back of the
    > board.
    >
    > e-Sun
    > HD001-SA223 REV.A
    >
    > That's it...
    >
    > Does anyone have an idea where I can get these? I don't want to buy
    > anything else with it, I'm looking to purchase some of them, if I need
    > to I'll buy bulk. I am creating something for the laptop, that if it
    > works will give these old 10 year old laptops a few more years in
    > them...

    New Egg has these similar products.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119257
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200156

  5. Guest

  6. Bob_Villa

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Thursday, June 21, 2012 11:54:09 AM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:
    > On Thursday, June 21, 2012 12:50:52 PM UTC-4, Bob_Villa wrote:
    >
    > > http://www.sztyg.com/

    > This I can get to, I just can't seem to navigate their system and figure out the part I am looking for. If it's an individual item that can be sold, or is it part of a larger product and sold in combination.

    http://www.sztyg.com/goods.php?id=1202

  7. Pen

    Pen Guest

    On 6/21/2012 8:01 PM, Bob_Villa wrote:
    > On Thursday, June 21, 2012 11:54:09 AM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:
    >> On Thursday, June 21, 2012 12:50:52 PM UTC-4, Bob_Villa wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.sztyg.com/

    >> This I can get to, I just can't seem to navigate their system and figure out the part I am looking for. If it's an individual item that can be sold, or is it part of a larger product and sold in combination.

    > http://www.sztyg.com/goods.php?id=1202

    Wouldn't it be this one, IDE to SATA
    http://www.aliexpress.com/store/300...o-SATA-Aluminum-2nd-HDD-Case-for-DELL-HP.html

  8. rb

    rb Guest

    Matthew Ridge;1345070 Wrote:
    > I have an old Dell C640, I call it "Old Man"... maxed out, ram and ha
    > 802.11g network capabilities. It's running Ubuntu, so needless to sa
    > I am sort of on my own software wise, but I do need some help hardwar
    > wise
    >
    > I have an adapter, that allows to take the CD drive out and insert
    > second HD into it, in this case a SATA drive
    >
    > It works flawlessly... the problem is I need to find more of these
    >
    > The only thing I have to go on is what is stamped on the back of th
    > board
    >
    > e-Su
    > HD001-SA223 REV.
    >
    > That's it..
    >
    > Does anyone have an idea where I can get these? I don't want to bu
    > anything else with it, I'm looking to purchase some of them, if I nee
    > to I'll buy bulk. I am creating something for the laptop, that if i
    > works will give these old 10 year old laptops a few more years i
    > them..

    Mat
    Have a look here--> http://e-suntech.en.alibaba.com

  9. Guest

    Right. Except I don't want the unit, I only need the card inside the unit that makes the transfer possible.

    Let me explain, I'm using a battery encasing, and using it as a secondary HD. One that will be hidden from everyone except those that know they are there.

    There will be a small 4mm x 4mm fan blowing air out of a self made vent that is hidden to the end user.

    Basically I making a true stealth drive.

    On Thursday, June 21, 2012 8:01:51 PM UTC-4, Bob_Villa wrote:
    > On Thursday, June 21, 2012 11:54:09 AM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:
    > > On Thursday, June 21, 2012 12:50:52 PM UTC-4, Bob_Villa wrote:
    > >
    > > > http://www.sztyg.com/

    > > This I can get to, I just can't seem to navigate their system and figure out the part I am looking for. If it's an individual item that can be sold, or is it part of a larger product and sold in combination.

    > http://www.sztyg.com/goods.php?id=1202

  10. Bob_Villa

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Friday, June 22, 2012 6:33:50 AM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:
    > Right. Except I don't want the unit, I only need the card inside the unit that makes the transfer possible.
    >
    > Let me explain, I'm using a battery encasing, and using it as a secondary HD. One that will be hidden from everyone except those that know they are there.
    >
    > There will be a small 4mm x 4mm fan blowing air out of a self made vent that is hidden to the end user.
    >
    > Basically I making a true stealth drive.
    >

    > On Thursday, June 21, 2012 8:01:51 PM UTC-4, Bob_Villa wrote:

    Now you have to kill us!

  11. Guest

    Naw, you are my unwitting peons dancing to my tune ;)

    Thanks to both, I've gone both routes before I was hoping for a magic site to find just the board. Thanks again though.

    On Friday, June 22, 2012 12:47:37 PM UTC-4, Bob_Villa wrote:
    > On Friday, June 22, 2012 6:33:50 AM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:
    > > Right. Except I don't want the unit, I only need the card inside the unit that makes the transfer possible.
    > >
    > > Let me explain, I'm using a battery encasing, and using it as a secondary HD. One that will be hidden from everyone except those that know they are there.
    > >
    > > There will be a small 4mm x 4mm fan blowing air out of a self made vent that is hidden to the end user.
    > >
    > > Basically I making a true stealth drive.

    > Now you have to kill us!

  12. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:14:02 AM UTC-4, Matthew Ridge wrote:
    > I have an old Dell C640, I call it "Old Man"... maxed out, ram and has
    >
    > 802.11g network capabilities. It's running Ubuntu, so needless to say
    >
    > I am sort of on my own software wise, but I do need some help hardware
    >
    > wise.
    >

    > I have an adapter, that allows to take the CD drive out and insert a
    >
    > second HD into it, in this case a SATA drive.
    >

    > It works flawlessly... the problem is I need to find more of these.
    >

    > The only thing I have to go on is what is stamped on the back of the
    >
    > board.
    >

    > e-Sun
    >
    > HD001-SA223 REV.A
    >

    > That's it...
    >

    > Does anyone have an idea where I can get these? I don't want to buy
    >
    > anything else with it, I'm looking to purchase some of them, if I need
    >
    > to I'll buy bulk. I am creating something for the laptop, that if it
    >
    > works will give these old 10 year old laptops a few more years in
    >
    > them...

    Sorry, no SATA drives in a C640. PATA/IDE only... Ben Myers