Old Gateway

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by CKL, Mar 27, 2008.

  1. CKL

    CKL Guest

    Ok - since I find a few people here.........

    I just inherited an old Gateway Solo 9550 laptop from my sister. It wasn't
    working - now is.....
    However, she moved during the time and old disks are GONE. Therefore, I can
    not start out with a clean install of WinXPP.
    Currently, it has only a 10G hard drive. I am trying to uninstall
    everything I can. The Help Spot files take a lot of room and although maybe
    I can just "delete" them, I am hesitant to do so. I had already uninstalled
    PCDoctor and Norton stuff to clear some room (and Norton was expired
    anyway).

    When I go to Add/Remove, it is listed. However, to UNinstall, it asks me to
    insert the disk. Not Possible because I don't have. Also, the CDWriter
    rarely works anyway.

    Any ideas on how this can be uninstalled? All those .exe files (and movies)
    take a lot of space!!!!!

    TIA
    CKL
    CKL, Mar 27, 2008

  2. CKL

    CKL Guest

    Thanks for the comeback, CS. Wasn't sure anyone could see this.
    Your suggestions are appreciated (but not exactly what I was looking for
    <G>)

    Yes - WinXP does run slowly, but with only 128 memory, I'm surprised it runs
    at all!
    I want it for various reasons, and there is also other software that I don't
    want to lose (but disks gone). I have a 60G portable hard drive, so saving
    stuff is no problem - just can't reinstall the software. Therefore - no
    reformat.
    I actually had no problem with WinME, but installed WinXP home on my
    desktop. It has almost the same specs (speed) as the laptop though maxed
    out memory at 512, and I have no problems.

    According to 9550 specs, laptop can only use 512 mem also, but several sites
    report that it can use 2x512 (depending on model). However, not sure how to
    address that, as the motherboard was replaced and I can't be sure of what I
    have (because I can't find any place to tell me what the differences in
    models were in the first place). I will probably stay at 2x256 just to be
    safe, though 1 512 stick would be cheaper and then I would have a total of
    640. Not sure what to do there. Would like to find someone that has tried
    512's on Solo 9550.

    As to backing up on a working CDdrive - if laptop drive doesn't work, how
    would I use that to put things back? <G> No matter - as I said, have
    portable hard drive for that. I will probably eventually get a larger hard
    drive, but funds have to first be used for memory upgrades.

    My thinking exactly on using this machine and keeping it as "low cost" as
    possible. It will be used in an environment where damage or theft could
    easily occur, and I don't want a big loss. (btw - hard drives for this thing
    aren't cheap! LOL)

    Thanks again!
    CKL

    CKL, Mar 27, 2008

  3. CKL

    Ben Myers Guest

    I've had hands-on with the 9550 and the slightly earlier 9500. IIRC, the
    motherboard chipset limits the amount of memory to 2x256MB, probably PC133. Not
    all that pricey these days, and it would make a world of difference in the
    performance of XP. I have 512MB in an IBM Thinkpad from the same era, and XP
    runs very comfortably.

    It always amazes me when a computer shows up here with 128MB and Windows XP
    running. Badly. This is good way to wear out a hard drive from excessive swap
    file activity. What were these people thinking when they installed XP? The
    answer is that they did not know any better... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 27, 2008
  4. CKL

    CKL Guest

    Thanks Tom. Already been there (with that laptop) and Crucial says I can
    use 2x512.
    However, there is a * saying "up to Manufacturers recommendations" (or
    something like that).
    This is what is so confusing. I think because maybe different models might
    have supported different amounts? Maybe later models with a bios upgrade?
    Gateway lumps them all together for support, although they list the
    different models.
    Crucial guarantees them, but e-bay has better prices. <BG> I know - you get
    what you pay for sometimes, but all those extra $ here and there add up!

    CKL, Mar 27, 2008
  5. CKL

    CKL Guest

    (See answer to Tom)
    Yeah - I think I will be safer with 512, and it should be plenty. As I
    previously stated, it is fine on this desktop.
    (BTW, I don't think they were........ <g> thinking that is! and no - they
    didn't know better)

    No answers to the "uninstall Gateway Help Spot"? <G>
    That was my original question.

    CKL, Mar 27, 2008
  6. CKL

    Ben Myers Guest

    Removal by brute force is always an option:

    Boot in safe mode.
    Find the folder with the Gateway Help Spot, and delete it.
    If Gateway Help Spot is started up via the startup menu group, remove it from
    there.
    Remove any and all Gateway Help Spot entries from the registry at your peril. Do
    so only if you really really know what you are doing.
    Reboot.
    Download and run CCleaner to clean up the rest of the junk in the registry.

    Brute force is sometimes the only approach to remove a virus or other malware
    from a system, except that Gateway Help Spot is not exactly a virus. Just sort
    of a big unwieldy pest.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 27, 2008
  7. CKL

    CKL Guest

    Thanks Ben!
    Yeah - with a small drive, it is (an unwieldy pest)! If I really need help,
    I can use the desktop. I think it is good for someone that has never used a
    computer, or a completely different operating system - but not the case
    here. Was hoping someone had come up with a "prewritten" solution <G>.
    Always looking for the simple way or using someone else's
    expertise...........
    Wouldn't mind keeping the "original" help there - and I think maybe it is
    destroyed by the additions (which is probably why the disk is needed - to
    rebuild? Anyway, to get "some" space back, I could probably just delete the
    ..exe files and .swf files that take up all the room. Then the links just
    wouldn't work (like they don't now for PCDoctor and Norton that I removed).
    <sigh> I'll decide later I guess - and after I make a full image (which I
    already have several at different stages).
    Thanks again. It's nice to see you are still checking into this group.

    By the way - why is it necessary to boot to safe mode? No problem - just
    like to know why I am doing something <G>

    CKL, Mar 27, 2008
  8. CKL

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    Ben Myers typed on Thu, 27 Mar 2008 12:53:46 -0400:
    [...]
    > It always amazes me when a computer shows up here with 128MB and
    > Windows XP running. Badly. This is good way to wear out a hard
    > drive from excessive swap file activity. What were these people
    > thinking when they installed XP? The answer is that they did not
    > know any better... Ben Myers

    Well I have two Toshiba 2595XDVD laptops ('99 era) maxed out with 192MB
    of RAM. One has Windows 98SE installed and the other has Windows 2000.
    And to me honest with you, I rather use the one with Windows 2000
    installed. It does swap a lot, but it is stable. The Windows 98SE is
    also stable, as long as the resources doesn't run low. Which it does all
    of the time and it is really annoying. Although playing DVDs and video
    streams is 7 times better under Windows 98SE on this model. For example,
    the W98SE machine can handle stream video up to 700kbs. But the W2k one
    can only handle 100kbs.

    I hardly use those two anymore though. As I generally use one of my two
    Gateway MX6124 (2006 era) laptops with 1GB of RAM with Windows XP SP2
    installed. Which are far faster than either of the two Toshiba 2595XDVD
    laptops anyway.

    --
    Bill
    BillW50, Mar 28, 2008
  9. CKL

    Ben Myers Guest

    I've worked on some Toshiba laptops similar to the 2595. I detest Toshibas for
    their use of unpopular chipsets, and the difficulty of what is supposed to be
    simple maintenance. Also for their STUPID hardware design with only one SODIMM
    socket, as in your system. Reminds me of the other worldly designs of HP
    Vectras, designed in France to be totally hardware incompatible with the rest of
    the world. But that's another story.

    Windows 2000 running in 192MB is not too bad. Certainly better than the 128MB
    Toshiba with XP I handled some months back, upgrading its memory to 192MB.

    Although Toshiba's largely missing technical specs for the 2595 won't admit it,
    you might see if you can get a 256MB SODIMM (PC133 or PC100, I forget which)
    with low density memory and see if the system can be boosted to 320MB. Not sure
    if it would work, but nearly every Pentium 3 chipset, laptop or desktop,
    supports up to 512MB. But, then too, Toshiba could have continued its
    stupidity by crippling the BIOS not to recognize "large" amounts of memory.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 28, 2008
  10. CKL

    BillW50 Guest

    Hi Ben... Well the two 2595XDVD Toshibas used a 400MHZ Celeron. So I
    don't know if that changes your belief that the one SODIMM socket can
    actually handle 256MB. I did own a HP 8655c (2000 era) that was a PIII
    533MHZ. Although the two sockets in the specs claimed that it could only
    handle 2x128MB (256MB total). And that is what I had in there. Had
    Windows 2000 running on that one too.

    --
    Bill

    In news:,
    Ben Myers typed on Fri, 28 Mar 2008 18:40:42 -0400:

    BillW50, Mar 30, 2008
  11. CKL

    Ben Myers Guest

    Makes no real difference what CPU is in a system. The motherboard chipset and
    the BIOS are the controlling factors as to how much memory a system supports.
    Many older P3/Celeron laptops used some variant of the Intel 440 chipset, which
    supports up to 1GB in some models (e.g. 440BX), less with others. There are a
    few oddball older laptops which use other chipsets, and Toshiba is sure likely
    to have engineered one. If you can determine the motherboard chipset and let
    me know what it is, we'll both have a better idea as to the memory supported by
    the 2595. Or if a 256MB low-density PC100 SODIMM shows up for cheap, it is
    worth maybe $10 or so to experiment. Of course, you have to remove the
    keyboard... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 30, 2008
  12. CKL

    BillW50 Guest

    Yes I understand Ben. I do have a maintenance manual for the 2590 (what
    I have are two 2595XDVD) and this is all I have found: "Host Bridge
    System Controller: 82443BX, operates at 3.3 V". Which is my guess is an
    Intel 440BX chipset. I might learn more if I fired one of them up and
    look at the drivers. You know the first 64MB of RAM is hardwired on the
    motherboard, right? Although luckily on this model, the RAM socket is
    just a trap door underneath the laptop. Although the keyboard is also
    easy to remove on this laptop too. :)

    --
    Bill

    In news:,
    Ben Myers typed on Sun, 30 Mar 2008 10:15:24 -0400:

    BillW50, Mar 30, 2008
  13. CKL

    Ben Myers Guest

    82443BX is the Intel 440BX chipset, which is certainly capable of handling more
    memory. The hardwired memory is another cheap design compromise by Toshiba. I
    ran into it when I upgraded a comparable Toshiba almost a year ago. I cannot
    recall whether or not I considered a 256MB SODIMM or not. The owner was
    ecstatic with the performance boost just going from 128MB to 192MB total. I'd
    say a 256MB DIMM has a good chance of working properly as long as it is PC100.
    The 440BX chipset on desktop systems is very picky about PC133, and I would
    assume that it is the same with a laptop... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 31, 2008
  14. CKL

    BillW50 Guest

    Ah... thanks Ben. I'll give it a shot. :D

    --
    Bill

    In news:,
    Ben Myers typed on Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:03:47 -0400:

    BillW50, Apr 5, 2008