    When used on a thinkpad 600 ,how well does it work?.unit is a
    300mhtz
    and 192 mb memory with 5 gb hhd.
    Josie B, Apr 14, 2009

  2. Josie B

    CBFalconer Guest

    Josie B wrote:

    > When used on a thinkpad 600 ,how well does it work?.unit is a
    > 300mhtz and 192 mb memory with 5 gb hhd.

    What is 'it'?

    Try the download section.
    CBFalconer, Apr 14, 2009

  3. Re: ? on windows 2k

    On Apr 13, 8:35 pm, (Josie B) wrote:
    > When  used  on a thinkpad  600 ,how  well does it  work?.unit is a
    > 300mhtz
    > and  192 mb memory  with  5 gb  hhd.

    I have W2K on an E600, it seems to work well, however my main OS
    (99.99% time) is now Linux (plain Debian and Ubuntu). Previously I
    mostly used OS/2 although used all versions of MS-Junk from stone age
    on. I have my first vista Lenovo ideapad y530 on order but intend to
    use linux on it. Strange that MS can get away with bribes to push
    their OS.
    GeorgeZweistein, Apr 14, 2009
  4. Josie B

    obs Guest

    Re: ? on windows 2k

    Should you decide to install it, I recommend making your own
    Win2000 install CD using http://www.nliteos.com

    You can remove some of the bloat and stuff that you don't
    want, which would benefit a 5GB HDD.

    obs, Apr 15, 2009
  5. Josie B

    Steve H Guest

    On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 20:35:17 -0400, (Josie B)
    wrote:

    >When used on a thinkpad 600 ,how well does it work?.unit is a
    >300mhtz
    >and 192 mb memory with 5 gb hhd.

    I've got W2000 on a 600, works fine as long as you don't want to run
    things like Photoshop or Office etc.
    It's worth checking out sites like Blackviper for a list of services
    tweaks, as turning off many unwanted services will really help matters
    when you have such limited resources. Start by disabling indexing and
    turning off any eye-candy and gui effects.
    Avoid programs that pre-load startup accelerators ( or use the Startup
    control panel app to control them ) and use only on-demand antivirus
    rather than background.

    5gb is plenty enough and 192mb of ram is tolerable, though if you can
    add any more it wouldn't go to waste.

    Regards,

    --
    Steve ( out in the sticks )
    Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenet{at}gmx.net
    Steve H, Apr 15, 2009
  6. "Josie B" <> wrote in message
    > When used on a thinkpad 600 ,how well does it work?.unit is a
    > 300mhtz
    > and 192 mb memory with 5 gb hhd.

    Sounds about like my old Dell Inspiron 3500. Its hard drive is only 4.3GB,
    but it's a Pentium-II running at 300MHz, and I have 192MB of RAM in it. I
    haven't tried Win2K on it, because the only copy that I have is OEM, and
    it's already committed. But, the later BIOS updates have fixes for Win2K,
    so people did run that OS on that model of 'puter. Linux does run on it,
    though I'd suggest Xubuntu, because it's optimized for machines with limited
    resources. In fact, I have Xubuntu 8.04 running on it.

    "She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
    (Reply-To address may be anti-spammed.)
    Tom Rutherford, Apr 16, 2009