    checked all over for it on the web but i can't find it, since the
    Gigabyte website is 'down'.

    Can anyone help me?
    jolly, Feb 2, 2007

  2. jolly

    Patty Guest

    On 2 Feb 2007 15:05:22 -0800, jolly wrote:

    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I just did a re-install of XP on my computer. Everytime I install XP
    > it hangs when it says 'Setup is loading Windows'. I did some research
    > and decided to force the HAL into MSI multiprocessor. My motherboard
    > is a Gigatbyte GA-6BXD, dual processor. Before I had re-installed, I
    > was running XP and the USB ports were working fine. Now when I try to
    > use the onboard USB ports, nothing happens. I checked in the Device
    > Manager and it had an exclamation mark next to ' Intel(r) 82371AD/EB
    > PCI to USB Universal Host Controller'.
    >
    > I did some reseach on this and most people said to update the BIOS. I
    > checked all over for it on the web but i can't find it, since the
    > Gigabyte website is 'down'.
    >
    > Can anyone help me?

    Did you install the drivers for your board? Most boards come with drivers
    to install. I had no problems connecting to the gigabyte website:
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/

    Patty
    Patty, Feb 3, 2007

  3. "jolly" <> wrote in message ...
    > I just did a re-install of XP on my computer. Everytime I install
    > XP it hangs when it says 'Setup is loading Windows'.

    So you had XP successfully set up on it before?

    > I did some research and decided to force the HAL into
    > MSI multiprocessor.

    Did you have to do this before, when you had XP working properly? If not,
    what has changed since the last time? Have you disconnected any
    non-essential peripherals? Do you actually have a pair of processors
    installed, and if so, which type?

    > Before I had re-installed, I was running XP and the USB ports were
    > working fine.

    Doesn't sound like there's anything electrically wrong with them then.

    > Now when I try to use the onboard USB ports, nothing happens. I checked
    > in the Device Manager and it had an exclamation mark next to ' Intel(r)
    > 82371AD/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller'.

    As Patty has already suggested, have you installed the Intel Chipset
    Drivers? Also, if you have reinstalled XP, have you done it from an original
    release CD, or the updated one that has service pack 2 already preinstalled?
    If the former, make sure you also install SP2.

    > I did some reseach on this and most people said to update the BIOS.

    If you had XP installed and running properly before, it follows that there
    is nothing significantly wrong with the current BIOS. As such, don't bother
    changing this until you have tracked down the problem.
    Richard Hopkins, Feb 3, 2007
  4. jolly

    Stephen Guest

    On 2 Feb 2007 15:05:22 -0800, "jolly" <> had a flock
    of green cheek conures squawk out:

    >Hi guys,
    >
    >I just did a re-install of XP on my computer. Everytime I install XP
    >it hangs when it says 'Setup is loading Windows'. I did some research
    >and decided to force the HAL into MSI multiprocessor. My motherboard
    >is a Gigatbyte GA-6BXD, dual processor. Before I had re-installed, I
    >was running XP and the USB ports were working fine. Now when I try to
    >use the onboard USB ports, nothing happens. I checked in the Device
    >Manager and it had an exclamation mark next to ' Intel(r) 82371AD/EB
    >PCI to USB Universal Host Controller'.
    >
    >I did some reseach on this and most people said to update the BIOS. I
    >checked all over for it on the web but i can't find it, since the
    >Gigabyte website is 'down'.
    >
    >Can anyone help me?

    XP Service Pack 2 installed?

    Stephen
    Stephen, Feb 3, 2007
  5. jolly

    jolly Guest

    On Feb 4, 6:59 am, Stephen <> wrote:
    > On 2 Feb 2007 15:05:22 -0800, "jolly" <> had a flock
    > of green cheek conures squawk out:
    >
    > >Hi guys,

    > >I just did a re-install of XP on my computer. Everytime I install XP
    > >it hangs when it says 'Setup is loading Windows'. I did some research
    > >and decided to force the HAL into MSI multiprocessor. My motherboard
    > >is a Gigatbyte GA-6BXD, dual processor. Before I had re-installed, I
    > >was running XP and the USB ports were working fine. Now when I try to
    > >use the onboard USB ports, nothing happens. I checked in the Device
    > >Manager and it had an exclamation mark next to ' Intel(r) 82371AD/EB
    > >PCI to USB Universal Host Controller'.

    > >I did some reseach on this and most people said to update the BIOS. I
    > >checked all over for it on the web but i can't find it, since the
    > >Gigabyte website is 'down'.

    > >Can anyone help me?

    > XP Service Pack 2 installed?
    >
    > Stephen
    > --

    No, Should I install it?
    jolly, Feb 5, 2007
  6. "jolly" wrote in message...
    >> XP Service Pack 2 installed?
    >>
    >> Stephen
    >> --

    > No, Should I install it?

    Of course, as it fixes a whole slew of things that were wrong with the
    earlier version of Windows XP.

    However, it is unlikely in itself to solve your USB problem, although if
    you're lucky, the SP2 install will indirectly fix whatever is wrong with
    your system at the moment. If it doesn't, post again with answers to the
    other questions you've been asked.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Feb 5, 2007
  7. jolly

    Stephen Guest

    On 5 Feb 2007 01:46:53 -0800, "jolly" <> had a flock
    of green cheek conures squawk out:

    >On Feb 4, 6:59 am, Stephen <> wrote:
    >> On 2 Feb 2007 15:05:22 -0800, "jolly" <> had a flock
    >> of green cheek conures squawk out:
    >>
    >> >Hi guys,

    >> >I just did a re-install of XP on my computer. Everytime I install XP
    >> >it hangs when it says 'Setup is loading Windows'. I did some research
    >> >and decided to force the HAL into MSI multiprocessor. My motherboard
    >> >is a Gigatbyte GA-6BXD, dual processor. Before I had re-installed, I
    >> >was running XP and the USB ports were working fine. Now when I try to
    >> >use the onboard USB ports, nothing happens. I checked in the Device
    >> >Manager and it had an exclamation mark next to ' Intel(r) 82371AD/EB
    >> >PCI to USB Universal Host Controller'.

    >> >I did some reseach on this and most people said to update the BIOS. I
    >> >checked all over for it on the web but i can't find it, since the
    >> >Gigabyte website is 'down'.

    >> >Can anyone help me?

    >> XP Service Pack 2 installed?
    >>
    >> Stephen
    >> --

    >No, Should I install it?

    SP2 has the USB2 drivers.

    Stephen
    Stephen, Feb 5, 2007
  8. "Stephen" <> wrote in message...
    >>No, Should I install it?

    > SP2 has the USB2 drivers.
    >
    > Stephen

    That is largely a moot point for the OP, as his motherboard doesn't have a
    USB 2.0 controller on it.

    Richard Hopkins, Feb 5, 2007
  9. jolly

    jolly Guest

    Hey guys thanks for your help.

    I haven't got a copy of SP2 yet.

    But I have downloaded a copy of the updated BIOS can you tell me how
    to update or flash the BIOS.

    Thanks,

    Jeremy
    jolly, Feb 8, 2007
  10. jolly

    Zadok Guest

    On 7 Feb 2007 22:14:35 -0800, "jolly" <> wrote:

    >Hey guys thanks for your help.
    >
    >I haven't got a copy of SP2 yet.
    >
    >But I have downloaded a copy of the updated BIOS can you tell me how
    >to update or flash the BIOS.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Jeremy

    The site where you got the file should have an explanation regarding
    how to use it. Check there.

    -- Zadok
    ('¿')
    Zadok, Feb 8, 2007
  11. jolly

    fondue Guest

    "Zadok" <> wrote in message
    > On 7 Feb 2007 22:14:35 -0800, "jolly" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hey guys thanks for your help.
    >>
    >>I haven't got a copy of SP2 yet.
    >>
    >>But I have downloaded a copy of the updated BIOS can you tell me how
    >>to update or flash the BIOS.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>Jeremy

    > The site where you got the file should have an explanation regarding
    > how to use it. Check there.
    >
    > -- Zadok
    > ('¿')

    It's pretty hard to miss the "How to flash the BIOS" messages at the Abit
    site...
    fondue, Feb 8, 2007
  12. jolly

    Patty Guest

    On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 22:48:00 +0900, fondue wrote:

    > "Zadok" <> wrote in message
    >> On 7 Feb 2007 22:14:35 -0800, "jolly" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hey guys thanks for your help.
    >>>
    >>>I haven't got a copy of SP2 yet.
    >>>
    >>>But I have downloaded a copy of the updated BIOS can you tell me how
    >>>to update or flash the BIOS.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>
    >>>Jeremy

    >> The site where you got the file should have an explanation regarding
    >> how to use it. Check there.
    >>
    >> -- Zadok
    >> ('¿')

    > It's pretty hard to miss the "How to flash the BIOS" messages at the Abit
    > site...

    It's a Gigabyte board. Why would he want to flash it with an Abit BIOS?
    If the USB worked previously, the BIOS is not the problem. I still think
    he needs the DRIVERS for his board not a new BIOS!

    Patty
    Patty, Feb 8, 2007
  13. jolly

    Patty Guest

    On 2 Feb 2007 15:05:22 -0800, jolly wrote:

    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I just did a re-install of XP on my computer. Everytime I install XP
    > it hangs when it says 'Setup is loading Windows'. I did some research
    > and decided to force the HAL into MSI multiprocessor. My motherboard
    > is a Gigatbyte GA-6BXD, dual processor. Before I had re-installed, I
    > was running XP and the USB ports were working fine. Now when I try to
    > use the onboard USB ports, nothing happens. I checked in the Device
    > Manager and it had an exclamation mark next to ' Intel(r) 82371AD/EB
    > PCI to USB Universal Host Controller'.
    >
    > I did some reseach on this and most people said to update the BIOS. I
    > checked all over for it on the web but i can't find it, since the
    > Gigabyte website is 'down'.
    >
    > Can anyone help me?

    The chipset driver can be found here:

    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=1473

    Patty
    Patty, Feb 8, 2007
  14. jolly

    fondue Guest

    "Patty" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 22:48:00 +0900, fondue wrote:
    >
    >> "Zadok" <> wrote in message

    >>> The site where you got the file should have an explanation regarding
    >>> how to use it. Check there.
    >>>
    >>> -- Zadok
    >>> ('¿')

    >> It's pretty hard to miss the "How to flash the BIOS" messages at the Abit
    >> site...

    > It's a Gigabyte board. Why would he want to flash it with an Abit BIOS?
    > If the USB worked previously, the BIOS is not the problem. I still think
    > he needs the DRIVERS for his board not a new BIOS!
    >
    > Patty

    Never saw the OP, and for some strange reason I thought a post in an Abit
    mainboard NG might be related to an Abit mainboard board, (crazy I know), as
    opposed to the gigabyte NG. in any case "how to flash" is still hard to miss
    on the Gigabyte site.
    fondue, Feb 8, 2007
  15. jolly

    jolly Guest

    Which do i install?

    the Windows 95 | OS/2 | Windows NT version.

    Thanks again.
    jolly, Feb 9, 2007
  16. jolly

    jolly Guest

    On Feb 9, 6:12 pm, "jolly" <> wrote:
    > Which do i install?
    >
    > the Windows 95 | OS/2 | Windows NT version.
    >
    > Thanks again.

    I am running Windows XP Profesional edition
    jolly, Feb 10, 2007
  17. jolly

    Patty Guest

    On 8 Feb 2007 23:12:21 -0800, jolly wrote:

    > Which do i install?
    >
    > the Windows 95 | OS/2 | Windows NT version.
    >

    > Thanks again.

    How old is this board? I would try the NT version. Make sure you set a
    restore point first though, just in case. I also found this info on your
    board:

    > I have found that if the bios setting :-
    > "MPS Version Control for OS"
    > is set to 1.4, then the usb stuff appears to not receive any interrupts. If
    > set it to 1.1 then all is fine.
    > I assume that no interrupts is the problem, i get a load of timed out
    > messages and an error 110.

    I also found this:

    > If you go into device manager (contol panel,system,hardware,device manager) click on one of the USB options and see if the dialogue box displays : this device cannot start Code 10.
    > If so the USB contollers have probably been turned off in the BIOS.
    >
    > Reboot PC & enter BIOS set up by hitting delete, wait for BIOS screen menus, click on set-up menu, click on chip set menu, click on first USB option,click enable in pop-up box, click on USB legacy Kbd/mse and change if you have any (I changed mine to Auto). Press Esc to exit thro various menus and then finally save changes and exit.

    And this:

    > I went into the bios and ENABLED the USB port.
    > Windows Xp then automatically installed the correct driver to make it work.

    There is also a USB driver for that USB controller you quoted previously
    here:

    http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=240747

    You also claim that you had Windows XP on this system before and the USB
    ports worked fine then. Who originally installed Windows XP on this
    system? Obviously, since the board is so old, it would not have come with
    XP installed on it originally which is why you are now having all these
    problems. My next suggestion to you is to subscribe to the
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte newsgroup and see if someone there has
    been through this and can help you.

    Patty
    Patty, Feb 10, 2007
  18. "jolly" <> wrote in message
    > Which do i install?
    >
    > the Windows 95 | OS/2 | Windows NT version.
    >

    > Thanks again.

    What the feck are you talking about? You are talking about an updated BIOS
    here, are you not? If so, the BIOS flash program runs in bare DOS, not
    inside an operating system.

    As such, if you have to choose between Win9x, OS/2 or NT, chances are you've
    downloaded a driver, not a BIOS update...

    Richard Hopkins, Feb 10, 2007
  19. Richard Hopkins wrote:

    | What the feck are you talking about? You are talking about an
    | updated BIOS here, are you not? If so, the BIOS flash program
    | runs in bare DOS, not inside an operating system.
    |
    | As such, if you have to choose between Win9x, OS/2 or NT,
    | chances are you've downloaded a driver, not a BIOS update...

    Play nice Richard!

    Patty pointed our USB-challenged visitor to the Gigabyte website for the
    chipset drivers for his board.

    Actually (knowing absolutely nothing, as you know), I think Patty's latest
    post to him, discussing issues with the BIOS setup not allocating an IRQ to
    the USB controller may be the direction this needs to head (as well as the
    Gigabyte newsgroup, provided it's not as dead as this one .. the vacuum here
    is sucking people from other groups to try to give us a breath of air).

    Bird Janitor® -
    Jef
    Bird Janitor®, Feb 10, 2007
  20. jolly

    Patty Guest

    On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 18:15:37 GMT, Bird Janitor® wrote:

    > Richard Hopkins wrote:
    >|
    >| What the feck are you talking about? You are talking about an
    >| updated BIOS here, are you not? If so, the BIOS flash program
    >| runs in bare DOS, not inside an operating system.
    >|
    >| As such, if you have to choose between Win9x, OS/2 or NT,
    >| chances are you've downloaded a driver, not a BIOS update...
    >
    > Play nice Richard!
    >
    > Patty pointed our USB-challenged visitor to the Gigabyte website for the
    > chipset drivers for his board.
    >
    > Actually (knowing absolutely nothing, as you know), I think Patty's latest
    > post to him, discussing issues with the BIOS setup not allocating an IRQ to
    > the USB controller may be the direction this needs to head (as well as the
    > Gigabyte newsgroup, provided it's not as dead as this one .. the vacuum here
    > is sucking people from other groups to try to give us a breath of air).
    >
    > Bird Janitor® -
    > Jef

    Thanks, Jef.

    I'm still not convinced that he needs to update his BIOS if all he said in
    the beginning is true. He had XP installed and the USB ports worked. When
    he tried to reinstall XP they did not work. That does not point to a BIOS
    update issue because if the BIOS needed updating, they wouldn't have worked
    in the first place. I know the KT7 motherboards needed to be updated to
    the A9 BIOS to deal with some XP issues, but the boards would always have
    issues with XP if the BIOS was not upgraded, they would not have worked
    then quit working on reinstall.

    But, he can go ahead and flash his BIOS and hopefully he's got the right
    one and he has no problems with flashing. If he does have problems with
    flashing, he won't have to worry about the USB ports anymore. ;)

    Patty
    Patty, Feb 10, 2007