One way to make a USB key bootable.

Discussion in 'Dell' started by S.Lewis, Jan 19, 2006.

  1. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    I'm not sure that this is the best or easiest way, but it works pretty well
    and fast for me: (this assumes a WinXP system with an internal floppy
    drive.). **

    1) While at desktop, plug the new key into the USB port, give it a few
    moments to be recognized - and it should be.

    2) Go over to www.bootdisk.com and download the files to create a Win95
    bootdisk containing sys.com. (some Win98 disks might work also.)

    3) Format the floppy disk and then run the bootdisk.com Win95 file, which
    creates the bootable floppy.

    4) Reboot the system into BIOS. Disable/turn "off" all hard disks and
    CD/optical drives, leaving only the floppy drive enabled.

    5) Leaving the bootable floppy in the drive, escape BIOS and the system
    should boot to the newly-created diskette

    6) Run FDISK from the diskette and select "view partition data". You should
    see only a FAT16 C:\ drive that matches the capacity of your USB key

    7) Format the key if you like, but is probably unnecessary. Then sys C: (the
    key) from the A: prompt.

    8) Now done, eject the floppy and reboot the system to the USB key to
    verify.

    9) Reboot and return to BIOS, default all settings to detect all hard disks
    and opticals. Remove USB key. Done.

    (Sorry if already posted........)

    Stew

    **Additionally, I'd be interested to know if this would work with a USB
    floppy drive plugged while in Windows before reboot. Can a USB external
    floppy *and* USB key both appear simultaneously on the (F12) boot menu? I
    don't have an external floppy drive to test.......

    S.Lewis, Jan 19, 2006

  2. S.Lewis

    Fixer Guest

    Seems overly complicated to me when you can go to Dells website and get a
    prog to do it if its a Dell USB key or if you go to HP's Website theirs does
    any usb key google for HP USB disk storage format tool V2.0.6

    Fixer, Jan 19, 2006

  3. here here

    The HP utility is free, painless, simple, quick and does what it says
    on the tin.

    Alex Flaherty, Jan 19, 2006
  4. here here

    Alex Flaherty, Jan 19, 2006
  5. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    "Fixer" <> wrote in message
    > Seems overly complicated to me when you can go to Dells website and get a
    > prog to do it if its a Dell USB key or if you go to HP's Website theirs
    > does any usb key google for HP USB disk storage format tool V2.0.6

    It ain't and it ain't. But thanks for the pointers on Dell and HP
    keys...........

    Not pretending to re-invent the wheel here, merely bend a couple of spokes.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jan 20, 2006
  6. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    "Alex Flaherty" <> wrote in message
    > here here
    >
    > The HP utility is free, painless, simple, quick and does what it says
    > on the tin.

    Guys, the subject line says "one way", not "THE way" not "THE ONLY WAY", or
    even "THE BEST WAY".

    Nothing wrong with utilities if they apply and you have'em.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jan 20, 2006
  7. S.Lewis

    dg1261 Guest

    > I'd be interested to know if this would work with a USB floppy
    > drive plugged while in Windows before reboot. Can a USB
    > external floppy *and* USB key both appear simultaneously
    > on the (F12) boot menu?

    Yes, that works (presuming, of course, that your bios is recent enough to
    support booting from either device). For example, I just tested a
    floppy-less Dimension 4600 I happen to have on the workbench at the moment,
    and with both a usb floppy and a usb flash drive plugged in at boot time the
    F12 menu adds both "diskette drive" and "usb device" to the bios boot menu.

    FTR, it doesn't matter what you do in Windows, all that matters is that the
    particular usb device is plugged in before you start booting so the bios
    will see it during POST. The devices the bios sees during POST are what get
    listed on the F12 menu.

    Perhaps you're just erring on the side of caution, but it's not quite as
    complicated as all that. Your steps 1, 4, 6, and 9 aren't really necessary.
    If you already have a boot floppy or CD (yes, you can even boot from CD to
    do this), steps 2-3 aren't necessary, either. I recommend using a Win98 DOS
    disk instead of Win95. Win98 DOS will recognize FAT32 file systems, so it's
    more useful than a Win95 boot disk.

    Basically, once you have a boot disk, all you need to do is plug in the
    flash drive, reboot from the boot disk (press F12 if necessary), "sys c:",
    and you're done.

    This works because most systems nowadays have no visible FAT/FAT32 volumes
    on the disk. If you do, then the flash drive won't be C:, so either turn
    off the drives (via the bios steps you outlined) or else just look at what
    drive letter the flash drive gets and adjust accordingly ("sys d:", or "sys
    e:", or whatever). Like you said, it's fast, simple, and I know what I'm
    getting. I don't care to use the Dell or HP utility because I don't want to
    wonder if they're sneaking in something proprietary or non-standard.

    dg1261, Jan 21, 2006