Oops

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by stiffman320, Jan 22, 2010.

  1. stiffman320

    stiffman320 Guest

    So i have this laptop that is a few years old and it needed some work.
    It is a Dell Inspiron 6000. So I tear the thing apart, clean out the
    heat sinks, apply some arctic silver, drop in a larger harddrive and
    some more ram, replace the battery and broken cd drive tray, and put
    it all back together. I didn't have any problems working on it, it was
    actually much easier than i had expected to work on this laptop. The
    only problem is, now it wont stay on for more than 5 seconds. it wont
    even POST. I tried just about everything. I replaced the original
    hardware and everything. Ive checked and double checked so it isn't
    anything simple the i forgot to do or didnt seat corrctly. it has
    booted a few times, but only lasted about a minute. I have no idea
    what is going on. the only clue i have is (what i think is) the
    northbridge gets hot. i think this may be causing a thermal shutdown
    or something.

    Not too upset if i toasted the thing, just wondering if any of you
    guys might know what is going on.

    Thanks

    1. Advertising

  2. In article <>,
    stiffman320 <> wrote:

    >Not too upset if i toasted the thing, just wondering if any of you
    >guys might know what is going on.

    Sure you got every one of those fussy little connectors right? Did
    you use a long screw where there should have been a short one and make a
    connection that shouldn't exist?

    1. Advertising

  3. stiffman320

    stiffman320 Guest

    i tried booting it completely out of the case....and to no avail.

  4. M.I.5¾

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    "stiffman320" <> wrote in message
    > So i have this laptop that is a few years old and it needed some work.
    > It is a Dell Inspiron 6000. So I tear the thing apart, clean out the
    > heat sinks, apply some arctic silver, drop in a larger harddrive and
    > some more ram, replace the battery and broken cd drive tray, and put
    > it all back together. I didn't have any problems working on it, it was
    > actually much easier than i had expected to work on this laptop. The
    > only problem is, now it wont stay on for more than 5 seconds. it wont
    > even POST. I tried just about everything. I replaced the original
    > hardware and everything. Ive checked and double checked so it isn't
    > anything simple the i forgot to do or didnt seat corrctly. it has
    > booted a few times, but only lasted about a minute. I have no idea
    > what is going on. the only clue i have is (what i think is) the
    > northbridge gets hot. i think this may be causing a thermal shutdown
    > or something.
    >
    > Not too upset if i toasted the thing, just wondering if any of you
    > guys might know what is going on.

    Static damage could cause the effect that you see.