    terrique Guest

    Can anyone tell me where I can get the tablet pc operating system cd from for
    my gateway.

    terrique, May 28, 2008

  2. >> gateway <<

    assuming it's a tabletpc, only from gateway if you need to preserve the
    tablet functionality.

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], May 28, 2008

  3. terrique wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me where I can get the tablet pc operating system
    > cd from for my gateway.

    I assume you are asking for XP TabletPC edition (in Vista the TabletPC
    functionality is built-in).
    As Beverly said: You'd have to contact Gateway. XP TabletPC edition
    never was made available to the public by MS. It has always been
    available to the manufacturers of TabletPCs only.

    This said:
    There has been quite a number of reports in several forums which pointed
    to the fact the a normal *retail* version of a XP *SP2* CD can be used
    for installing the OS including the Tablet components. The crucial
    factor is the *KEY*. As the XP SP2 CD contains the whole subset of the
    TabletPC files in the "Cmpnents" subdirectory (which on the original XP
    CDs was on a second CD) the TabletPC components are installed if (a)
    Tablet hardware is detected and (b) the product key entered is a valid
    key for the TabletPC edition.

    This does *not* work with OEM CDs and Volume Licence CDs which during
    the install don't accept a key valid for the TabletPC edition.
    It does work with CDs with the "Cmpnents" subdirectory added by
    integrating the SP2 with the "slipstreaming" method (if the original CD
    accepts a Key for the TabletPC edition).

    If there is a sticker with the OS licence and the key on your computer,
    the install procedures will install the complete TabletPC OS version.

    Caveat: I could not try this out myself as I only have VL-CDs which do
    not accept my TabletPC key :-( :-(
    I'm pretty sure, however, that it works this way - not only from the
    mentioned reports but also from MS KB articles. f.e.:
    "However, to invoke the Tablet PC setup routine, you must
    use a Product Key explicitly assigned for use with the Tablet PC
    operating system. The Product Keys for Windows XP Professional
    and Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 are not interchangeable."
    (MS TechNet: Deploying Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457087(TechNet.10).aspx )

    Rainald
    P.S. In addition to installing the OS you will need
    manufacturer-specific drivers and software add-ons. Check Gateway's
    website. I have no idea in how good their download site might be (HP
    f.e. has just *everything).

    Rainald Taesler, Jun 13, 2008
  4. terrique

    Sinner Guest

    "terrique" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me where I can get the tablet pc operating system cd from
    > for
    > my gateway.

    Take a look on eBay and at newegg.com. OEM versions of Windows XP Tablet
    Edition 2005 are available. I just installed one on my Gateway C-142XL
    tablet.

    Sinner, Aug 8, 2008
  5. Sinner wrote:

    > "terrique" <> wrote in message
    >> Can anyone tell me where I can get the tablet pc operating system
    >> cd from for
    >> my gateway.

    > Take a look on eBay and at newegg.com. OEM versions of Windows XP
    > Tablet Edition 2005 are available. I just installed one on my
    > Gateway C-142XL tablet.

    I seriously doubt that this was too legal ...

    Rainald

    Rainald Taesler, Aug 8, 2008