    dan

    p.s.

    i wasn't sure where 2 post this. is anyone knows of a better board please tell me

    Dan Irwin, Dec 24, 2003

  2. Dan Irwin

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 09:47:56 -0800, Dan Irwin wrote:

    > what's the difference between the athlon64 and the opetron?

    http://www.amd.com

    The main diff is that the memory bus width on the A64 is 72bit while it's
    144bit on the Opteron.

    > is it worth upgrading from a 1.7 ghz with a 400mhz bus

    I think that's entirely up to you. it will be a lot faster though.

    > i was thinking of getting the "Tyan Thunder K8W" (pci-x is a must) is
    > this good?

    Don't know, but if you're not goign to use SMP, why pay for it.

    > how out of date is that mobo?

    Since it's new technology, it can't be too far out of date.

    > and lastly can i use it leaving one of the dual sockets empty?

    Yes.

    You can get an A64 MB for about $80. Double or triple that
    for an Opteron SMP MB.

    Wes Newell, Dec 24, 2003

  3. > > i was thinking of getting the "Tyan Thunder K8W" (pci-x is a must) is
    > > this good?
    > >

    > Don't know, but if you're not goign to use SMP, why pay for it.
    >
    > > how out of date is that mobo?
    > >

    > Since it's new technology, it can't be too far out of date.

    FYI, the rev of this board I have does ~not~ have USB 2.0 :( Other than
    that it rocks tho... very stable, very fast

    Jared Richardson, Dec 26, 2003