opinion: fastest agp board

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Luvrsmel, Nov 16, 2008.

  1. Luvrsmel

    Luvrsmel Guest

    I'm still slugging it out with 478pin p4 agp technology.
    Can anyone tell me what the fastest agp board is, since I'm not in the
    market to jump to pci-e yet...
    I have 4gbs of ocz platinum pc3200 ram and an ATI x850xt platinum
    video...thanks very much.

    1. Advertising

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "Luvrsmel" <> wrote in message news:cS%Tk.20407$...
    > I'm still slugging it out with 478pin p4 agp technology.
    > Can anyone tell me what the fastest agp board is, since I'm not in the
    > market to jump to pci-e yet...
    > I have 4gbs of ocz platinum pc3200 ram and an ATI x850xt platinum
    > video...thanks very much.

    ATI makes a 3850 AGP. That's the fastest. But at anything over
    1024x768 resolution in most newer games, you'll be severely CPU
    limited with any S478 P4.

    1. Advertising

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Luvrsmel wrote:
    > I'm still slugging it out with 478pin p4 agp technology.
    > Can anyone tell me what the fastest agp board is, since I'm not in the
    > market to jump to pci-e yet...
    > I have 4gbs of ocz platinum pc3200 ram and an ATI x850xt platinum
    > video...thanks very much.

    I use an Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2 motherboard, as it supports
    AGP video cards, and accepts Core2 processors. But it is
    hardly a full featured motherboard. It has two DDR slots and
    two DDR2 slots for memory (use only one type at a time).
    I simply got 2x1GB of DDR2 for it, and didn't bother reusing
    my existing 2x512MB of DDR. DDR2 is dirt cheap, compared to
    the price I paid for the other memory. One thing I've found
    about this board, is memory bandwidth is on the low end of
    the scale.

    http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0&s=775

    So that is a mechanism to reuse an AGP video card, if that
    is what you're looking for. The processor socket is LGA775
    on that one, and allows upgrading to faster Core2 processors.
    I use an E4700 processor with it, but it turns out the
    board needs to be hacked to overclock it (I've run the processor
    at 3.46GHz, by boosting Vcore with a soldering iron). So
    using an FSB1066 processor is probably the best you can do
    if you don't own a soldering iron. For example, the E7300
    is probably relatively cheap ($120), compared to some of the other
    entries.

    http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0&s=775

    These are my results from testing yesterday. (The hyphens are
    to try to preserve the formatting, when archived in Google.)
    The DDR2-533 memory is running 3-3-3-12 1T.

    -------------------------------------------------------SuperPI Memtest 1.65
    -------------------------------------------------------1M (sec) Bandwidth
    -------------------------------------------------------lower is (MB/sec)
    ------------------------------------------------------- better

    200 x 13 = 2.60GHz, FSB800, DDR2-533, Single channel 24.05 2203
    (stock) Dual channel 22.87 2668

    266 x 10 = 2.66GHz, FSB1066, DDR2-533, Single channel 23.47 ----
    Dual channel 22.52 ----

    266 x 13 = 3.46GHz, FSB1066, DDR2-533, Single channel 19.37 2419
    Dual channel 18.42 3305

    For comparison, you can test SuperPI and calculate 1 million digits
    of PI and compare your current time. On my 3200+ and P4 3.1GHz
    systems, I'd get about 45 to 50 seconds for 1 million digits.
    SuperPI runs on one core of a processor.

    http://www.xtremesystems.com/pi/
    http://www.xtremesystems.com/pi/super_pi_mod-1.5.zip

    I think the current record for 1 million digits, is below 8 seconds,
    so I have a ways to go yet.

    HTH,
    Paul