Opinions on a value machine

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Bruin, Mar 7, 2005.

  1. Bruin

    Bruin Guest

    A buddy of mine wants me to help him assemble a new machine for him. He has
    a limited budget ($500.00 US), doesn't need a CD ROM or monitor.
    Below is my selection of some decent (cheap) components that I have
    selected.

    POWMAX CP769PL-2 Beige Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/ 400 watt PS
    $34.50

    Leadtek Geforce 6600 128MB DDR PCI-Express x16 Video Card
    $109.00

    Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
    $68.00

    CHAINTECH VNF4/Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard
    Model #: VNF4/Ultra
    $99.00

    Rosewill 512MB DDR400(PC3200) System Memory
    $47.00

    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester Socket 939 Processor
    $165.00

    Total inc'l shipping: $517.48 Just over his budget.

    I got a POWMAX case for my family computer & was quite surprised about how
    much I like it. I could go for another brand of hard drive & get 160 gig
    for not alot more money.

    Other than that... opinions?

    I am posting this in several newsgroups in the hopes for getting alot of
    changes her mind! ;)

    Bruin, Mar 7, 2005

  2. Bruin

    Dave Ellis Guest

    Bruin wrote:
    > A buddy of mine wants me to help him assemble a new machine for him. He
    > has a limited budget ($500.00 US), doesn't need a CD ROM or monitor.
    > Below is my selection of some decent (cheap) components that I have
    > selected.
    >
    > POWMAX CP769PL-2 Beige Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/ 400 watt PS
    > $34.50
    >
    > Leadtek Geforce 6600 128MB DDR PCI-Express x16 Video Card
    > $109.00
    >
    > Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
    > $68.00
    >
    > CHAINTECH VNF4/Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard
    > Model #: VNF4/Ultra
    > $99.00
    >
    > Rosewill 512MB DDR400(PC3200) System Memory
    > $47.00
    >

    > AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester Socket 939 Processor
    > $165.00
    >
    > Total inc'l shipping: $517.48 Just over his budget.
    >
    > I got a POWMAX case for my family computer & was quite surprised about
    > how much I like it. I could go for another brand of hard drive & get
    > 160 gig for not alot more money.
    >
    > Other than that... opinions?
    >
    > I am posting this in several newsgroups in the hopes for getting alot of
    > changes her mind! ;)

    Linux for x86-64, any distro.

    Dave Ellis, Mar 13, 2005

  3. Bruin

    Buck Guest

    What kind of applications does your friend intend to run?

    The system you're contemplating offers a very good balance betwee
    price and performance, although for games that Athlon64 will spend mos
    of its time waiting around for the grafix card to play catch-up (I d
    understand that money is tight). On the other hand a cheaper card woul
    allow you to pump more money onto other areas. Windows (at present
    doesn't need a fast grafix card, but modern 3D games demand them.

    For creative tasks like editing large images or sound files, or vide
    editing I would also recommend 1GB RAM.

    The power supplies that come with most cases are pretty cheap - yo
    ideally need a separate one as well as some decent case cooling
    Believe me it is worth doing the research on CPU and case cooling
    mainly due to the huge variation in quality and noise.

    I also use Maxtor hard drives - with 8MB buffers because they car
    cheap and very fast although all hard drives get hot.

    It's important to establish exactly what your friend wants to do and t
    lay down the limitations. After-sales support is difficult and you
    friend needs to remember who's done the hard work for him - you ;-)

    Hope this helps.

    http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/gffx/nv43-2.htm

    --
    Buck