    able to explain what could be causing it. It's only 2 weeks old.

    -Ed

    , May 22, 2011

  2. On Sun, 22 May 2011 08:22:23 -0700, maps wrote:

    > My new Optiplex XE is getting stuck at the BIOS menu when booting up.
    > There are illuminated numbers on the front, 1 2 3 4 and it gets stuck
    > on "4". I know of a table in the manual, but though someone might be
    > able to explain what could be causing it. It's only 2 weeks old.
    >

    > -Ed

    "Possible BIOS failure". Did you try to update the BIOS?

    We have been seeing a lot of these going belly up after only a few uses.
    Something goes fooey in the BIOS.
    Call Dell. If it's only 2 weeks it's still under warranty. You can
    exchange it (they might want to do this) or get it repaired on site. I
    would go with on site, since you will most likely be getting a REFURBISHED
    board which will have had this issue resolved!

    Hachiroku ハチロク, May 25, 2011

  3. Guest

    On Tue, 24 May 2011 20:48:51 -0500, Hachiroku ???? <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 22 May 2011 08:22:23 -0700, maps wrote:
    >

    >> My new Optiplex XE is getting stuck at the BIOS menu when booting up.
    >> There are illuminated numbers on the front, 1 2 3 4 and it gets stuck
    >> on "4". I know of a table in the manual, but though someone might be
    >> able to explain what could be causing it. It's only 2 weeks old.
    >>

    >> -Ed

    >"Possible BIOS failure". Did you try to update the BIOS?
    >
    >We have been seeing a lot of these going belly up after only a few uses.
    >Something goes fooey in the BIOS.
    >Call Dell. If it's only 2 weeks it's still under warranty. You can
    >exchange it (they might want to do this) or get it repaired on site. I
    >would go with on site, since you will most likely be getting a REFURBISHED
    >board which will have had this issue resolved!

    I'd say it happened twice already, in the first week or so after it
    was received but seems to run ok now. There haven't been any
    issues since.

    Didn't try to update the BIOS. Will that resolve the issue?

    -Ed

    , May 27, 2011
  4. On Thu, 26 May 2011 19:44:28 -0700, maps wrote:

    > On Tue, 24 May 2011 20:48:51 -0500, Hachiroku ???? <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 22 May 2011 08:22:23 -0700, maps wrote:
    >>

    >>> My new Optiplex XE is getting stuck at the BIOS menu when booting up.
    >>> There are illuminated numbers on the front, 1 2 3 4 and it gets stuck
    >>> on "4". I know of a table in the manual, but though someone might be
    >>> able to explain what could be causing it. It's only 2 weeks old.
    >>>

    >>> -Ed

    >>"Possible BIOS failure". Did you try to update the BIOS?
    >>
    >>We have been seeing a lot of these going belly up after only a few uses.
    >>Something goes fooey in the BIOS.
    >>Call Dell. If it's only 2 weeks it's still under warranty. You can
    >>exchange it (they might want to do this) or get it repaired on site. I
    >>would go with on site, since you will most likely be getting a REFURBISHED
    >>board which will have had this issue resolved!
    >>

    > I'd say it happened twice already, in the first week or so after it
    > was received but seems to run ok now. There haven't been any
    > issues since.
    >
    > Didn't try to update the BIOS. Will that resolve the issue?
    >

    > -Ed

    You can try..the worst it can do is totally munge the BIOS if it decides
    to hiccup while performing the upgrade.

    But this sounds like a more serious failure, and as I said, I saw this a
    lot on these units. How long did you get the warranty for? If the BIOS
    corrupts, you *shouldn't* lose any data, but of course, you back up the
    important stuff!

    Hachiroku ハチロク, May 27, 2011
  5. On 5/27/2011 12:59 AM, Hachiroku wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 May 2011 19:44:28 -0700, maps wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 24 May 2011 20:48:51 -0500, Hachiroku ????<>
    >> wrote:

    >>> "Possible BIOS failure". Did you try to update the BIOS?
    >>>
    >>> We have been seeing a lot of these going belly up after only a few uses.
    >>> Something goes fooey in the BIOS.
    >>> Call Dell. If it's only 2 weeks it's still under warranty. You can
    >>> exchange it (they might want to do this) or get it repaired on site. I
    >>> would go with on site, since you will most likely be getting a REFURBISHED
    >>> board which will have had this issue resolved!
    >>>

    >> I'd say it happened twice already, in the first week or so after it
    >> was received but seems to run ok now. There haven't been any
    >> issues since.
    >>
    >> Didn't try to update the BIOS. Will that resolve the issue?
    >>

    >> -Ed

    > You can try..the worst it can do is totally munge the BIOS if it decides
    > to hiccup while performing the upgrade.
    >
    > But this sounds like a more serious failure, and as I said, I saw this a
    > lot on these units. How long did you get the warranty for? If the BIOS
    > corrupts, you *shouldn't* lose any data, but of course, you back up the
    > important stuff!

    i would not suggest updating the bios on a machine that is under
    warranty unless you are instructed to do so by dell tech support. if
    the update fails then dell will do some finger pointing.
    you say it gets stuck on boot and you also say it has only happened a
    couple of times. so i am guessing that you are saying that this has
    been only an occasional issue. and you say it has not happened to other
    similar machines. have you considered what you might have connected to
    this particular machine that you don't have connected to the others?
    for instance, a hp all-in-one usb printer that happens to have a memory
    card reader built in? it may be trying to boot from that device (or
    something similar) and failing or just taking a very long time, longer
    than a person is typically willing to wait. call dell or chat with
    online support for suggestions on how to proceed. if there is a
    widespread problem with this model they will know about it and you will
    have the issue on file with them from very early on which will help with
    out of warranty repair down the road if they do indeed have some sort of
    endemic problem.

    Christopher Muto, May 27, 2011
  6. Guest

    On Fri, 27 May 2011 12:38:31 -0400, Christopher Muto
    <> wrote:

    >On 5/27/2011 12:59 AM, Hachiroku ???? wrote:
    >> On Thu, 26 May 2011 19:44:28 -0700, maps wrote:

    >> You can try..the worst it can do is totally munge the BIOS if it decides
    >> to hiccup while performing the upgrade.
    >>
    >> But this sounds like a more serious failure, and as I said, I saw this a
    >> lot on these units. How long did you get the warranty for? If the BIOS
    >> corrupts, you *shouldn't* lose any data, but of course, you back up the
    >> important stuff!

    >i would not suggest updating the bios on a machine that is under
    >warranty unless you are instructed to do so by dell tech support. if
    >the update fails then dell will do some finger pointing.
    >you say it gets stuck on boot and you also say it has only happened a
    >couple of times. so i am guessing that you are saying that this has
    >been only an occasional issue. and you say it has not happened to other
    >similar machines. have you considered what you might have connected to
    >this particular machine that you don't have connected to the others?
    >for instance, a hp all-in-one usb printer that happens to have a memory
    >card reader built in? it may be trying to boot from that device (or
    >something similar) and failing or just taking a very long time, longer
    >than a person is typically willing to wait. call dell or chat with
    >online support for suggestions on how to proceed. if there is a
    >widespread problem with this model they will know about it and you will
    >have the issue on file with them from very early on which will help with
    >out of warranty repair down the road if they do indeed have some sort of
    >endemic problem.

    It happened again this afternoon, the freeze at the BOIS screen with
    the #4 lamp lit on the front panel.. after which I got a scary message
    after typing in my Win password: "user service failed to load profile"

    There are no other XE machines, just this one. What is connected is a
    NetGear WG111v2 wireless adapter plugged into a USB port. I bought the
    machine from a Dell authorized seller in KC, Kansas and the Service
    Tag says it was built in Feb 2011, so that is weird. Is it NOS (new
    old stock) or did they buy a bunch of defects? The price was > 200
    off the Dell website price. This seller is legit because I bought from
    them before. It's time to call them on Monday morning.

    Yes all my `stuff is backed up to a MyBook using SyncBack SE.

    -Ed

    , Jun 5, 2011
  7. mTk Guest

    Any updates on this?

    I have about 60 Optiplex XEs that sporadically have this issue. I a
    still waiting on a solution from Dell. The symptoms are what yo
    describe. The screen that it always hangs on for me is the Intel Matri
    Storage Manager ICH10R. It hangs in the same place regardless of th
    SATA settings in the BIOS.

    My machines are all under warranty, and are all running the current BIO
    (A03) and current Intel drivers. Dell has sent me replacement syste
    boards, Hard drives, and power supplies, none have fixed the issue.

    If they actually come up with a fix, I'll be sure to post.

    mTk, Nov 1, 2011
  8. mTk Guest

    After a few weeks of slow email back and forth with Dell I am shippin
    them an XE today to troubleshoot. We'll see what comes of it..

    mTk, Nov 16, 2011
  9. mTk Guest

    Dell has confirmed an issue with the Intel Matrix Storage Manager, an
    is still working on it

    mTk, Dec 28, 2011
  10. mTk Guest

    It ended up actually being the power supplies. I guess there are tw
    manufacturers that make them. One brand is faulty, the other (Samsung
    actually works and prevents the problems from occurring, at least in al
    of my cases. Dell is replacing all of my power supplies, however the
    are currently on back order. The pic below is of the GOOD power supply

    [image
    http://www.picvalley.net/u/1697/3339355721223915242133219115806CZpXalSUDEFmttO3q8.JPG

    mTk, Mar 19, 2012
  11. Guest

    On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:07:01 -0500, mTk <>
    wrote:

    >It ended up actually being the power supplies. I guess there are two
    >manufacturers that make them. One brand is faulty, the other (Samsung)
    >actually works and prevents the problems from occurring, at least in all
    >of my cases. Dell is replacing all of my power supplies, however they
    >are currently on back order. The pic below is of the GOOD power supply.
    >
    >[image:
    >http://www.picvalley.net/u/1697/3339355721223915242133219115806CZpXalSUDEFmttO3q8.JPG]

    It's been a while but i finally got with Dell Support, and they had me
    update the BIOS to v3. The problem hasn't repeated in the past two
    weeks. Supposedly if lamp #4 is lit when it hangs, that indicates the
    BIOS. If Lamp #1 & #4 are lit, that indicates a faulty mainboard.

    -Ed

    , Jun 27, 2012