    931BF has been superb for years and not it's really fatiguing.

    -Ed
    , May 17, 2011

  2. On 5/16/2011 10:08 PM, wrote:
    > Over the weekend I switched from an older Optiplex running Win2k with
    > a low-profile nVidia Riva graphics card to the NEW Optiplex XE running
    > Win7 Pro and integrated Intel video chipset. The fonts are awfully
    > blurry both in ClearType mode and with it disabled. The fixed-pitch
    > characters aren't too bad but the TTFonts (variable-pitch) are crap.
    >
    > What's causing this? and what can be done to solve? The SyncMaster
    > 931BF has been superb for years and not it's really fatiguing.
    >

    > -Ed

    given your incomplete description of the problem one can only guess.
    my guess' would include:
    -the display driver is set to the wrong resolution for your monitor. it
    should be set to 1280x1024 which is the native resolution of the samsung
    931bf.
    -you may have had previously connected the monitor to the old computer
    with the dvi port and now you are connecting the monitor to the new
    computer via the vga port
    -you installed the windows 7 os on the system and have yet to install
    the chipset and video drivers.
    Christopher Muto, May 17, 2011

  3. Guest

    On Mon, 16 May 2011 23:29:02 -0400, Christopher Muto
    <> wrote:

    >On 5/16/2011 10:08 PM, wrote:
    >> Over the weekend I switched from an older Optiplex running Win2k with
    >> a low-profile nVidia Riva graphics card to the NEW Optiplex XE running
    >> Win7 Pro and integrated Intel video chipset. The fonts are awfully
    >> blurry both in ClearType mode and with it disabled. The fixed-pitch
    >> characters aren't too bad but the TTFonts (variable-pitch) are crap.
    >>
    >> What's causing this? and what can be done to solve? The SyncMaster
    >> 931BF has been superb for years and not it's really fatiguing.
    >>

    >given your incomplete description of the problem one can only guess.
    >my guess' would include:
    >-the display driver is set to the wrong resolution for your monitor. it
    >should be set to 1280x1024 which is the native resolution of the samsung
    >931bf.
    >-you may have had previously connected the monitor to the old computer
    >with the dvi port and now you are connecting the monitor to the new
    >computer via the vga port
    >-you installed the windows 7 os on the system and have yet to install
    >the chipset and video drivers.

    Thanks for the reply. The 931 is indeed running at the native
    1280x1024 resolution. It's the same monitor connected with the same
    analog cable. It was running on a DVI cable in the past but not
    recently. I've downloaded new drivers from Dell and they may be
    improved by the answer is to type "appearance" in the RUN field and
    unckeck "use styles on windows and button" unckeck "show shadows" and
    uncheck "smooth edges of screen fonts."

    -Ed
    , May 17, 2011
  4. Hi!

    > What's causing this?  and what can be done to solve?  The SyncMaster
    > 931BF has been superb for years and not it's really fatiguing.

    What refresh rate are you running? Your LCD panel is probably happiest
    at 60Hz and some (older) Samsung panels will display things somewhat
    blurrily if you are running a refresh rate higher than 60Hz.

    Are the connections between computer, monitor and signal cable all
    good. Check to see that none have pulled or worked loose, as I've seen
    this cause blurred video in some cases.

    Have you pressed the "auto adjust" button on the display? If you are
    feeding it an analog VGA signal and change computers, the
    characteristics of that signal can be slightly different. This will
    cause the settings "learned" by the monitor to be incorrect. Fill your
    screen with text (a maximized web browser window works well for this)
    and press the AUTO button. It could help.

    William
    William R. Walsh, May 20, 2011
  5. Guest

    On Fri, 20 May 2011 07:46:41 -0700 (PDT), "William R. Walsh"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi!
    >
    >> What's causing this?  and what can be done to solve?  The SyncMaster
    >> 931BF has been superb for years and not it's really fatiguing.

    >What refresh rate are you running? Your LCD panel is probably happiest
    >at 60Hz and some (older) Samsung panels will display things somewhat
    >blurrily if you are running a refresh rate higher than 60Hz.
    >
    >Are the connections between computer, monitor and signal cable all
    >good. Check to see that none have pulled or worked loose, as I've seen
    >this cause blurred video in some cases.
    >
    >Have you pressed the "auto adjust" button on the display? If you are
    >feeding it an analog VGA signal and change computers, the
    >characteristics of that signal can be slightly different. This will
    >cause the settings "learned" by the monitor to be incorrect. Fill your
    >screen with text (a maximized web browser window works well for this)
    >and press the AUTO button. It could help.

    Auto Adjust appears to have solved the problem, and yes the refresh
    was set at 60 Hz. Let's run it for a day or two and see if it's back
    to normal!! :))
    , May 22, 2011