    mirror of the HD, is there a way to build an OS-reload CD?

    Thanks,

    TKM
    TKM, Dec 31, 2008

  2. TKM

    Ernie B. Guest

    Try a clonezilla LiveCD, <http://sourceforge.net/projects/clonezilla/>.
    --
    Ernie B.

    Communication: The art of moving an idea from one mind to another, hopefully
    without distortion.
    Ernie B., Dec 31, 2008

  3. TKM

    Guest

    George Ruch <> wrote:

    >It depends on the model. From what you've described, it sounds
    >like IBM Repair and Recovery (R&R) will be doing the job.

    I have a Thinkpad R61i..... with XP Pro

    Can I reload the OS WITHOUT installing all the crapware
    that was original on the drive when it came form
    NewEgg?

    Or will the restore partition put EVERYTHING back on
    including the crapware that it came with?

    About once a year I like to re-install a CLEAN OS with
    as few apps/crapware as possible just to keep
    performance optimum. That possible with this R61i?
    , Jan 1, 2009
  4. TKM

    TKM Guest

    "John Navas" <> wrote in message
    > [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
    > On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 22:48:52 GMT, "TKM" <> wrote in
    > <oFS6l.104847$>:
    >
    >>When I ordered a new ThinkPad recently, I asked whether my machine would
    >>have the traditional "hidden partition" or a back-up CD for reloading the
    >>OS
    >>if needed. I was told neither; but I could make my own CD if I wished.
    >>
    >>Well, OK; but other than buying image software such as Ghost and doing a
    >>mirror of the HD, is there a way to build an OS-reload CD?

    > 1. Which model ThinkPad?
    > 2. For at least some models Lenovo will sell you Recovery CDs.
    >
    > --
    > Very best wishes for the holiday season and for the coming new year,
    > John

    The new ThinkPad is the X300 which I ordered with XP Professional. The
    Lenovo order folks specifically said that I had to make my own recovery CD,
    but that could change, of course. Since I don't have the new ThinkPad yet,
    I don't know what other recovery options might be on board.

    The Acronis information is helpful.

    TKM
    TKM, Jan 2, 2009