OS X Server: Create mirrored RAID set from existing drive and new drive?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by dmcheng1@yahoo.com, Oct 5, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello. I have a PowerMac G3 running OS X Server 10.4.7. There is an
    80GB ATA boot hard drive and a SATA card and two 250GB SATA drives.
    One SATA drive is existing and has data on it; I just installed the
    second one because I want to mirror the 1st drive onto the 2nd one.

    My questions are: how do I do it? When I try to create a RAID set in
    the Disk Utility GUI, it says all data will be destroyed. I cancelled
    that.

    So I tried diskutil enableRAID mirror disk1, which told me I could only
    mirror volumes.

    The volume name is RAID, so I tried diskutil enableRAID mirror
    /Volumes/RAID which gave me an error "Error enabling disk to RAID Could
    not unmount disk (-10000)"

    When I unmounted the disk, I still got the same error.

    When I tried diskutil verifyVolume disk1, I got an error "Error (-9958)
    encountered attempting to verify/repair disk1"

    Do I need to run diskutil under sudo? It's not clear from the
    documentation. Do I need to change a jumper on the new SATA drive? Do
    I have the right file system (Apple_HFS)? Should I be using other RAID
    commands under diskutil to create the mirrored set?

    Thanks in advance
    David