    So what's the up-side to getting a 64 Bit processor now?
    Thanks
    Xeno

    Xeno Chauvin, Mar 31, 2005

  2. "Xeno Chauvin" <> wrote in message
    news:ViI2e.41$...
    > Perhaps I have picked the wrong time to think about building
    > a new machine? I presently have an Athlon XP2600+ which
    > I thought about giving to one of my children.
    > HOWEVER.......
    > There is at present no Windows 64 Bit operating system
    > nor any usable (for me) 64 Bit programs YET the cost of
    > a 64 Bit system is not much greater that another "XP" system.
    > So what's the up-side to getting a 64 Bit processor now?
    > Thanks
    > Xeno

    Superior performance and cooler operation (if you select a 90Nm Winchester
    CPU) right now with 32 bit software. Also, the production release of Win XP
    64 bit is imminent.

    Peter van der Goes, Mar 31, 2005

  3. Xeno Chauvin

    Matias Silva Guest

    Peter van der Goes wrote:
    > "Xeno Chauvin" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Perhaps I have picked the wrong time to think about building
    >>a new machine? I presently have an Athlon XP2600+ which
    >>I thought about giving to one of my children.
    >>HOWEVER.......
    >>There is at present no Windows 64 Bit operating system
    >>nor any usable (for me) 64 Bit programs YET the cost of
    >>a 64 Bit system is not much greater that another "XP" system.
    >>So what's the up-side to getting a 64 Bit processor now?
    >>Thanks
    >>Xeno
    >>

    > Superior performance and cooler operation (if you select a 90Nm Winchester
    > CPU) right now with 32 bit software. Also, the production release of Win XP
    > 64 bit is imminent.

    Linux supports 64-bit computing... However I just read an article
    on Dr. Dobbs journal regarding 64-bit performance. The article basically
    says there is no real performance increase in 64-bit processing. The
    main benefit to 64-bit computing is that you can address larger amounts of
    memory; very usefull in database applications that are loaded into
    memory.

    Matt

    Matias Silva, Mar 31, 2005
  4. Xeno Chauvin

    Matias Silva Guest

    Matias Silva wrote:
    > Peter van der Goes wrote:
    >
    >> "Xeno Chauvin" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Perhaps I have picked the wrong time to think about building
    >>> a new machine? I presently have an Athlon XP2600+ which
    >>> I thought about giving to one of my children.
    >>> HOWEVER.......
    >>> There is at present no Windows 64 Bit operating system
    >>> nor any usable (for me) 64 Bit programs YET the cost of
    >>> a 64 Bit system is not much greater that another "XP" system.
    >>> So what's the up-side to getting a 64 Bit processor now?
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Xeno
    >>>

    >> Superior performance and cooler operation (if you select a 90Nm
    >> Winchester CPU) right now with 32 bit software. Also, the production
    >> release of Win XP 64 bit is imminent.
    >>

    > Linux supports 64-bit computing... However I just read an article
    > on Dr. Dobbs journal regarding 64-bit performance. The article basically
    > says there is no real performance increase in 64-bit processing. The
    > main benefit to 64-bit computing is that you can address larger amounts of
    > memory; very usefull in database applications that are loaded into
    > memory.
    >
    > Matt

    Also 64-bit also adds for greater floating point accuracy... so if your
    using Excel to balance your check book then its not worth it. But if your
    doing graphics rendering and high end computational mathematics where accuracy
    is key, then go 64-bit.

    Matt

    Matt

    Matias Silva, Mar 31, 2005
  5. "Matias Silva" <> wrote in message
    > Linux supports 64-bit computing... However I just read an article
    > on Dr. Dobbs journal regarding 64-bit performance. The article basically
    > says there is no real performance increase in 64-bit processing. The
    > main benefit to 64-bit computing is that you can address larger amounts of
    > memory; very usefull in database applications that are loaded into
    > memory.
    >
    > Matt

    I was referring to the performance of the CPU itself. Ignoring 32 vs. 64 bit
    issue, the A64 processors outperform their AXP predecessors and other
    contenders.
    Perhaps you intended to respond to the OP?

    Peter van der Goes, Apr 2, 2005
  6. Xeno Chauvin

    dawg Guest

    Yes. The A64 outperforms the XP in 32 bit. One of the reasons is that the
    memory controller is on the CPU itself,unlike other cpu's that must access
    the northbridge chip first. But, replacing an XP 2600+ with say, an A64
    2800+ wouldn't be woth the cost.
    Going to a 3500+ or 3700+ porobably would be a decent speed increase. All
    this really only applies to newer 3D games and video editing. Anything else
    has plenty of headroom on an XP 2600+

    dawg, Apr 2, 2005
  7. Xeno Chauvin

    Matias Silva Guest

    Peter van der Goes wrote:
    > "Matias Silva" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Linux supports 64-bit computing... However I just read an article
    >>on Dr. Dobbs journal regarding 64-bit performance. The article basically
    >>says there is no real performance increase in 64-bit processing. The
    >>main benefit to 64-bit computing is that you can address larger amounts of
    >>memory; very usefull in database applications that are loaded into
    >>memory.
    >>
    >>Matt
    >>

    > I was referring to the performance of the CPU itself. Ignoring 32 vs. 64 bit
    > issue, the A64 processors outperform their AXP predecessors and other
    > contenders.
    > Perhaps you intended to respond to the OP?

    Yes and No, I was responding to you regarding the last thing you
    said "Also, the production release of Win XP 64 bit is imminent."
    and I responded saying that "Linux supports 64-bit computing." That
    was my pitiful attempt in support of Linux :)

    The latter portion of my comments where directed to the OP so
    that he would have more information when he goes to make his
    buying decision. It seems he just uses computers just to do
    basic stuff, write an email, balance his check book, maybe
    play a few video games, who knows.

    On Newegg theres a nice little Athlon XP 3200 for $140 that would
    be decent for a basic computer.

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-390&depa=0

    However, if your(referring to the original poster) basic need it is to furnish your son
    with a computer and you don't require that much more horsepower, then I would get
    AthlonXP. Cache sizes are the same as some 64bit procs, however power consumption
    is more, but the price is just right, cheap. I would look to increase performance
    in other areas like I/O (Hard drives) and RAM.

    Best Regards,
    Matt

    Matias Silva, Apr 4, 2005
  8. Xeno Chauvin

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 13:41:21 -0700, Matias Silva wrote:

    > On Newegg theres a nice little Athlon XP 3200 for $140 that would
    > be decent for a basic computer.

    Waste of money.. Socket A is dead. If one wanted to spend that much on a
    cpu, an A64 would be a much better choice. The best bang for the buck is
    probably the 2800+ A64 right now for about $110. It'll oveclock above
    2500MHz which would give it about a 4000+ rating. If one had or wanted to
    stick with socket A, the XP-M would be a much smarter choice. Since it has
    an unlocked multiplier, you can clock it up to 2400MHz even on an old
    socket A board with only a 100MHz FSB. Newegg has the 2400+XP-M for $76.

    Wes Newell, Apr 4, 2005