OT: cell phone used as a wifi hotspot

Discussion in 'Dell' started by RnR, Dec 24, 2010.

  1. RnR

    RnR Guest

    Anybody have experience with a cell phone used as a wifi hotspot ? I'm
    thinking of upgrading some phones and they have this capability as
    well as just wifi capable.

    1. Advertising

  2. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    Re: cell phone used as a wifi hotspot

    In news:,
    RnR typed on Thu, 23 Dec 2010 19:00:16 -0600:
    > Anybody have experience with a cell phone used as a wifi hotspot ? I'm
    > thinking of upgrading some phones and they have this capability as
    > well as just wifi capable.

    Excuse me? They sell cell phones that you can use solely by WiFi alone?
    Sorry, but I am not up-to-date with these things. Wouldn't that be kind
    of like a WiFi PDA or even like a mini netbook? And how do they work?
    With VoIP or something?

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

    1. Advertising

  3. Bob Levine

    Bob Levine Guest

    On 12/23/2010 8:00 PM, RnR wrote:
    > Anybody have experience with a cell phone used as a wifi hotspot ? I'm
    > thinking of upgrading some phones and they have this capability as
    > well as just wifi capable.

    Just got an HTC Incredible. Works great.

    Note that this will drain the battery relatively quickly.

    Bob

  4. RnR

    RnR Guest

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 19:19:30 -0600, "BillW50" <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    >RnR typed on Thu, 23 Dec 2010 19:00:16 -0600:
    >> Anybody have experience with a cell phone used as a wifi hotspot ? I'm
    >> thinking of upgrading some phones and they have this capability as
    >> well as just wifi capable.

    >Excuse me? They sell cell phones that you can use solely by WiFi alone?
    >Sorry, but I am not up-to-date with these things. Wouldn't that be kind
    >of like a WiFi PDA or even like a mini netbook? And how do they work?
    >With VoIP or something?

    I'm no expert but as far as I can tell, they sorta have a router built
    in but don't take my word for it without getting other replies. I'm
    not the person you want to ask cell phone questions from (frankly
    speaking).

  5. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    Re: cell phone used as a wifi hotspot

    In news:D,
    Timothy Daniels typed on Thu, 23 Dec 2010 23:20:49 -0800:
    > Make that:
    > "Cell phone connections to the Internet can be shared via Wi-Fi with
    > other nearby devices by using the smartphone as a modem/wireless
    > router, i.e. as a "hotspot".

    Very interesting Tim.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

  6. Monica

    Monica Guest

    My 2010 Ford Flex as built in USBs and a 110 power outlet. The refresh,
    slated for next year, will have built in wi-fi. Some Ford models already
    have it. These new cars are more computer than they are car!