OT: How big is Apple ?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by JF Mezei, Jun 1, 2012.

  1. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    JF Mezei, Jun 1, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. JF Mezei

    Király Guest

    JF Mezei <> wrote:
    > This puts many of the numbers used to measure Apple in perspective.
    > (such as Comparing Apple's sales to GDP of many countries and the
    > largest US corps).


    I'm too lazy to verify the numbers on that page with other sources, but
    I'm hesitant to accept them at face value when they label Madagascar as
    Sri Lanka.

    --
    K.

    Lang may your lum reek.
     
    Király, Jun 1, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. JF Mezei

    Dan Becker Guest

    In article <jq9cr2$ac5$>, Király <>
    wrote:

    > I'm too lazy to verify the numbers on that page with other sources, but
    > I'm hesitant to accept them at face value when they label Madagascar as
    > Sri Lanka.


    Feh. Whoever put the graphic together is a designer, not a
    cartographer. I wouldn't ding it on that account, but the lack of
    sources for the data is my issue.
     
    Dan Becker, Jun 1, 2012
    #3
  4. JF Mezei

    David Empson Guest

    Dan Becker <> wrote:

    > In article <jq9cr2$ac5$>, Király <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I'm too lazy to verify the numbers on that page with other sources, but
    > > I'm hesitant to accept them at face value when they label Madagascar as
    > > Sri Lanka.

    >
    > Feh. Whoever put the graphic together is a designer, not a
    > cartographer. I wouldn't ding it on that account, but the lack of
    > sources for the data is my issue.


    Some of the numbers I can verify seem dubious, which brings the whole
    thing into question.

    The claimed number of iOS devices since 2008 (200 million) is too low.
    Apple reported "total iOS devices" of 220 million as of mid 2011.
    Apple's latest reported figure was 365 million (as of the quarter ending
    March 2012). Excluding iOS devices sold until the end of 2008 would
    reduce both figures by 30 million.

    If the figure is actually just iPhones, it might be right. A total of
    218 million sold up to the quarter ending March 2012, less 17 million
    sold until the end of 2008, gives about 200 million.

    Also re the Eiffel Tower comparison: 72 million iPhones is how many
    Apple sold in their fiscal 2011 year (ending September 2011). In
    calendar 2011, Apple sold 93 million iPhones.

    That figure at least points to the graphic being created no earlier than
    late October 2011.


    --
    David Empson
     
    David Empson, Jun 1, 2012
    #4
  5. JF Mezei

    Dave Allen Guest

    In article <1kl0ra5.8xi3en1n55066N%>,
    (David Empson) wrote:

    > Also re the Eiffel Tower comparison: 72 million iPhones is how many
    > Apple sold in their fiscal 2011 year (ending September 2011). In
    > calendar 2011, Apple sold 93 million iPhones.


    It's clear that Apple needs to make the next iPhone twice as heavy, so
    that only half as many sales will be required in order to reach the
    weight of the Eiffel Tower.
    --
    Dave
     
    Dave Allen, Jun 1, 2012
    #5
  6. I'm not impressed by all those numbers.

    No one could convince me to buy a telephone,
    not with all the numbers in the world.

    Remember also, there will be around 2020
    an epidemic of brain tumors caused by mobile phones.
    Those people will sue companies like Apple
    for damages.

    Then we will see real big numbers.

    --
    www.hearingvoices-is-voicetoskull.com
     
    Cliff Huylebroeck, Jun 1, 2012
    #6
  7. In article <>,
    (Cliff Huylebroeck) wrote:

    > Remember also, there will be around 2020 an epidemic of brain tumors
    > caused by mobile phones.


    No there won't.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
    People's Democratic Republic is to Democracy.
     
    Michelle Steiner, Jun 1, 2012
    #7
  8. JF Mezei

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Cliff Huylebroeck
    <> wrote:

    > I'm not impressed by all those numbers.
    >
    > No one could convince me to buy a telephone,
    > not with all the numbers in the world.
    >
    > Remember also, there will be around 2020
    > an epidemic of brain tumors caused by mobile phones.
    > Those people will sue companies like Apple
    > for damages.
    >
    > Then we will see real big numbers.


    what's magical about 2020? cellphones have been around for about 30
    years, and if this was really a problem, there would have been an
    increase in tumors already. there hasn't been.
     
    nospam, Jun 1, 2012
    #8
  9. JF Mezei

    Davoud Guest

    Király:
    > I'm too lazy to verify the numbers on that page with other sources, but
    > I'm hesitant to accept them at face value when they label Madagascar as
    > Sri Lanka.


    Sheesh! Never heard of plate tectonics--movement of the Earth's crust?
    It's called Madalanka now.

    As for Apple's size, when it get's too big--and I'll decide what "too
    big" means for me--I'll jump ship for little Microsoft.

    --
    I agree with almost everything that you have said and almost everything that
    you will say in your entire life.

    usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
     
    Davoud, Jun 1, 2012
    #9
  10. In article <010620121339473666%>, nospam
    <> wrote:
    > In article <>, Cliff Huylebroeck
    > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > I'm not impressed by all those numbers.
    > >
    > > No one could convince me to buy a telephone,
    > > not with all the numbers in the world.
    > >
    > > Remember also, there will be around 2020
    > > an epidemic of brain tumors caused by mobile phones.
    > > Those people will sue companies like Apple
    > > for damages.
    > >
    > > Then we will see real big numbers.

    >
    > what's magical about 2020? cellphones have been around for about 30
    > years, and if this was really a problem, there would have been an
    > increase in tumors already. there hasn't been.


    Like Climate Change, tThat depends on which manipulated statistics and
    bunch of extremists you believe.

    There apparently HAS been an increase in brain tumors (especially in young
    people), but whether that's due to mobile phone use or simply the
    ever-growing use of electronics, broadcast signals for TV, wireless
    networking, alterations to food, the ozone hole, etc., etc. is impossible
    (as well as pointless) to actually define.

    Helpful Harry :eek:)
     
    Helpful Harry, Jun 2, 2012
    #10
  11. In article <010620121820325156%>, wrote:
    > Király:
    > > I'm too lazy to verify the numbers on that page with other sources, but
    > > I'm hesitant to accept them at face value when they label Madagascar as
    > > Sri Lanka.

    >
    > Sheesh! Never heard of plate tectonics--movement of the Earth's crust?
    > It's called Madalanka now.


    Yep, and next week it will be just another suburb of Los Angeles. ;o)



    > As for Apple's size, when it get's too big--and I'll decide what "too
    > big" means for me--I'll jump ship for little Microsoft.


    And by then Blackberry (and probably Nokia) wil be just a side note in the
    history books.

    Helpful Harry :eek:)
     
    Helpful Harry, Jun 2, 2012
    #11
  12. In article
    <>,
    (Helpful Harry) wrote:

    > > what's magical about 2020? cellphones have been around for about 30
    > > years, and if this was really a problem, there would have been an
    > > increase in tumors already. there hasn't been.

    >
    > Like Climate Change, tThat depends on which manipulated statistics and
    > bunch of extremists you believe.


    Like climate change, there's fact (climate change exists and is
    exacerbated, if not caused, by humanity; cell phones do not cause brain
    cancer), and there's extremist who can't or won't believe facts.

    > There apparently HAS been an increase in brain tumors (especially in
    > young people),


    There has?

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
    People's Democratic Republic is to Democracy.
     
    Michelle Steiner, Jun 2, 2012
    #12
  13. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    Michelle Steiner wrote:

    > Like climate change, there's fact (climate change exists and is
    > exacerbated, if not caused, by humanity; cell phones do not cause brain
    > cancer), and there's extremist who can't or won't believe facts.



    actually, the iPhone won't be causing increase in brain cancer because
    most of its use is well away from the head while the person
    tweets/facebooks/emails on the iphone. In fact, it is more likely to
    increase testicular cancer if people use their iphone mostly on their
    laps while seated on a bus :)

    Those living in areas of poor coverage are more likely to get cancer
    because the phone's transmitted emits at maximum power while those who
    are near a tower will have their phone emit at much lower power (not
    sure if this applies to Verizon/Sprint's CDMA, but it is one of the big
    advantages of the GSM stack).
     
    JF Mezei, Jun 2, 2012
    #13
  14. In article
    <>,
    (Helpful Harry) wrote:
    > In article <010620121339473666%>, nospam
    > <> wrote:
    > > In article <>, Cliff Huylebroeck
    > > <> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I'm not impressed by all those numbers.
    > > >
    > > > No one could convince me to buy a telephone,
    > > > not with all the numbers in the world.
    > > >
    > > > Remember also, there will be around 2020
    > > > an epidemic of brain tumors caused by mobile phones.
    > > > Those people will sue companies like Apple
    > > > for damages.
    > > >
    > > > Then we will see real big numbers.

    > >
    > > what's magical about 2020? cellphones have been around for about 30
    > > years, and if this was really a problem, there would have been an
    > > increase in tumors already. there hasn't been.

    >
    > Like Climate Change, tThat depends on which manipulated statistics and
    > bunch of extremists you believe.
    >
    > There apparently HAS been an increase in brain tumors (especially in young
    > people), but whether that's due to mobile phone use or simply the
    > ever-growing use of electronics, broadcast signals for TV, wireless
    > networking, alterations to food, the ozone hole, etc., etc. is impossible
    > (as well as pointless) to actually define.
    >
    > Helpful Harry :eek:)


    I forgot to include that the reported "increase" could also be because of
    better diagnosis, reporting, etc. within the medical sector, as well as
    simply due to an increasing world population (5% of 10 people is always
    going to be less than 5% of 100 people).

    Helpful Harry :eek:)
     
    Helpful Harry, Jun 2, 2012
    #14
  15. In article <4fc95877$0$1286$c3e8da3$>,
    JF Mezei <> wrote:

    > In fact, it is more likely to increase testicular cancer if people use
    > their iphone mostly on their laps while seated on a bus :)


    I'd say that about half the people who use iPhones will never have to worry
    about testicular cancer from any source.

    And the other half won't have to worry about it being caused by any cell
    phone, regardless of make or model.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
    People's Democratic Republic is to Democracy.
     
    Michelle Steiner, Jun 2, 2012
    #15
  16. JF Mezei

    Kurt Ullman Guest

    In article <010620121339473666%>,
    nospam <> wrote:

    > what's magical about 2020? cellphones have been around for about 30
    > years, and if this was really a problem, there would have been an
    > increase in tumors already. there hasn't been.


    It is far enough off in the future that most people will have forgotten
    about when, in 2020, he says he really meant 2040.

    --
    People thought cybersex was a safe alternative,
    until patients started presenting with sexually
    acquired carpal tunnel syndrome.-Howard Berkowitz
     
    Kurt Ullman, Jun 2, 2012
    #16
  17. On 12-06-01 6:03 PM, Helpful Harry wrote:

    > There apparently HAS been an increase in brain tumors (especially in young
    > people), but whether that's due to mobile phone use or simply the
    > ever-growing use of electronics, broadcast signals for TV, wireless
    > networking, alterations to food, the ozone hole, etc., etc. is impossible
    > (as well as pointless) to actually define.


    Except that it is counter-acted by the effects of MMR vaccination, which
    obviously have other effects on brain development. So the pattern is
    harder to detect. The studies on the interaction with chemtrails is,
    however, inconclusive.

    What we do know is that Lee Harvey Oswald was trained in the Soviet
    Union with electronic gear strapped to his head, and so this may have
    led to his tumor. The same tumor that metastasized to out side of his
    body all the way to the grassy knoll.

    Cheers,


    Unhelpful Jeffrey


    --
    Jeffrey Goldberg http://goldmark.org/jeff/
    I rarely read HTML or poorly quoting posts
    Reply-To address is valid
     
    Jeffrey Goldberg, Jun 2, 2012
    #17
  18. In article <>, Jolly
    Roger <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > (Helpful Harry) wrote:
    > > In article
    > > <>,
    > > (Helpful Harry) wrote:
    > > > In article <010620121339473666%>, nospam
    > > > <> wrote:
    > > > > In article <>, Cliff Huylebroeck
    > > > > <> wrote:
    > > > > >
    > > > > > I'm not impressed by all those numbers.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > No one could convince me to buy a telephone,
    > > > > > not with all the numbers in the world.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Remember also, there will be around 2020
    > > > > > an epidemic of brain tumors caused by mobile phones.
    > > > > > Those people will sue companies like Apple
    > > > > > for damages.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Then we will see real big numbers.
    > > > >
    > > > > what's magical about 2020? cellphones have been around for about 30
    > > > > years, and if this was really a problem, there would have been an
    > > > > increase in tumors already. there hasn't been.
    > > >
    > > > Like Climate Change, tThat depends on which manipulated statistics and
    > > > bunch of extremists you believe.
    > > >
    > > > There apparently HAS been an increase in brain tumors (especially in young
    > > > people), but whether that's due to mobile phone use or simply the
    > > > ever-growing use of electronics, broadcast signals for TV, wireless
    > > > networking, alterations to food, the ozone hole, etc., etc. is impossible
    > > > (as well as pointless) to actually define.

    > >
    > > I forgot to include that the reported "increase" could also be because of
    > > better diagnosis, reporting, etc. within the medical sector, as well as
    > > simply due to an increasing world population (5% of 10 people is always
    > > going to be less than 5% of 100 people).

    >
    > You forgot increased pollution, increased biological poisoning from
    > increased use of tons of plastics and chemicals in our environment,
    > affects of genetically modified food consumption, and the list goes on.


    Yep, I did think about those too (I did say one of them "alterations to
    food"). There's also increased use of various drugs which have had little
    long term testing. Mother Nature trying in vain to shrink the human
    population to sensible, sustainable levels.

    There's a HUGE list of possible causes, which of course all so called
    "studies" blindly ignore to concentrate on the one or two things they want
    to try and enforce as the reason ... another rason why "studies" and
    manipulated statistics prove absolutely nothing useful (other than how to
    waste piles of money and how to con the naive).

    Helpful Harry :eek:)
     
    Helpful Harry, Jun 2, 2012
    #18
  19. Cliff Huylebroeck, Jun 4, 2012
    #19
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. bob brozewicz

    a BIG, BIG Thank You for all the help....

    bob brozewicz, Dec 29, 2004, in forum: Compaq
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    372
    bob brozewicz
    Dec 29, 2004
  2. Josh_Savage

    Big Big Compaq error.. need help asap.

    Josh_Savage, Mar 22, 2005, in forum: Compaq
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    377
    skydiver
    Mar 23, 2005
  3. MP
    Replies:
    21
    Views:
    423
    Matthew Russotto
    Sep 27, 2004
  4. Lon
    Replies:
    30
    Views:
    973
    Larry
    Jun 29, 2007
  5. Jacobs
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    711
    Jacobs
    Jul 16, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page