    have family.

    Need suggestions, please?
    , Nov 21, 2010

  2. Bob Villa Guest

    On Nov 21, 7:39 am, ""
    <> wrote:
    > Looks as if I may have to give up computing. I can only afford DIAL
    > UP, which  is  not conducive to the 'startup'  downloading of 90MB's
    > of anti-virus definitions...as  PC TOOLS requires
    >
    > Apple is MUCH smarter. "Intego" security software for Apple, offers
    > the downloads, broken down into 5 different areas,  so you're not
    > online for hours and hours,only to be knocked off line, for whatever
    > reason. If someone offered that for DIAL UP PC's?  WOW!!!
    >
    > Any suggestions? I asked PC Tools, but  they said to have a friend on
    > broadband do it for me. What friend would load the behemoth PC Tools
    > on his PC ,  then download 90mbs of definitions , then transfer it
    > over to my PC, or burn it on a CD, then erase everything from his
    > computer; I haven't seen any friends like that in years! And I don't
    > have family.
    >
    > Need suggestions, please?

    90Mb to a flash drive would be a snap for anyone with cable or DSL (I
    do it at work and bring it home). You could also download Avast
    Free!. It's just A/V but works well with dial-up and it's not a huge
    download.
    Bob Villa, Nov 21, 2010

  3. Pen Guest

    On 11/21/2010 8:39 AM, wrote:
    > Looks as if I may have to give up computing. I can only afford DIAL
    > UP, which is not conducive to the 'startup' downloading of 90MB's
    > of anti-virus definitions...as PC TOOLS requires
    >
    > Apple is MUCH smarter. "Intego" security software for Apple, offers
    > the downloads, broken down into 5 different areas, so you're not
    > online for hours and hours,only to be knocked off line, for whatever
    > reason. If someone offered that for DIAL UP PC's? WOW!!!
    >
    > Any suggestions? I asked PC Tools, but they said to have a friend on
    > broadband do it for me. What friend would load the behemoth PC Tools
    > on his PC , then download 90mbs of definitions , then transfer it
    > over to my PC, or burn it on a CD, then erase everything from his
    > computer; I haven't seen any friends like that in years! And I don't
    > have family.
    >
    > Need suggestions, please?

    Microsoft Security Essentials is only 12.4MB.
    http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
    Pen, Nov 21, 2010
  4. Guest

    On Nov 21, 7:47 am, Bob Villa <> wrote:
    > On Nov 21, 7:39 am, ""
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > > Looks as if I may have to give up computing. I can only afford DIAL
    > > UP, which  is  not conducive to the 'startup'  downloading of 90MB's
    > > of anti-virus definitions...as  PC TOOLS requires

    > > Apple is MUCH smarter. "Intego" security software for Apple, offers
    > > the downloads, broken down into 5 different areas,  so you're not
    > > online for hours and hours,only to be knocked off line, for whatever
    > > reason. If someone offered that for DIAL UP PC's?  WOW!!!

    > > Any suggestions? I asked PC Tools, but  they said to have a friend on
    > > broadband do it for me. What friend would load the behemoth PC Tools
    > > on his PC ,  then download 90mbs of definitions , then transfer it
    > > over to my PC, or burn it on a CD, then erase everything from his
    > > computer; I haven't seen any friends like that in years! And I don't
    > > have family.

    > > Need suggestions, please?

    > 90Mb to a flash drive would be a snap for anyone with cable or DSL (I
    > do it at work and bring it home).  You could also download Avast
    > Free!.  It's just A/V but works well with dial-up and it's not a huge
    > download.

    Thanx! I had a tire fixed at, "Discount Tires" last week. the guy's
    name was Bob Villa! Imagine? Two in one week. Or.....just one???
    , Nov 21, 2010
  5. Bob Villa Guest

    On Nov 21, 9:20 am, Pen <> wrote:
    > On 11/21/2010 8:39 AM, wrote:
    >
    > > Looks as if I may have to give up computing. I can only afford DIAL
    > > UP, which  is  not conducive to the 'startup'  downloading of 90MB's
    > > of anti-virus definitions...as  PC TOOLS requires

    > > Apple is MUCH smarter. "Intego" security software for Apple, offers
    > > the downloads, broken down into 5 different areas,  so you're not
    > > online for hours and hours,only to be knocked off line, for whatever
    > > reason. If someone offered that for DIAL UP PC's?  WOW!!!

    > > Any suggestions? I asked PC Tools, but  they said to have a friend on
    > > broadband do it for me. What friend would load the behemoth PC Tools
    > > on his PC ,  then download 90mbs of definitions , then transfer it
    > > over to my PC, or burn it on a CD, then erase everything from his
    > > computer; I haven't seen any friends like that in years! And I don't
    > > have family.

    > > Need suggestions, please?

    > Microsoft Security Essentials is only 12.4MB.http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

    I tried MSE and it is problematic updating on a slow connection. I
    had to remove it.
    Bob Villa, Nov 21, 2010
  6. Bob Villa Guest

    On Nov 21, 9:26 am, ""
    <> wrote:
    > On Nov 21, 7:47 am, Bob Villa <> wrote:
    >

    > > 90Mb to a flash drive would be a snap for anyone with cable or DSL (I
    > > do it at work and bring it home).  You could also download Avast
    > > Free!.  It's just A/V but works well with dial-up and it's not a huge
    > > download.

    > Thanx!  I had a tire fixed at, "Discount Tires" last week. the guy's
    > name was Bob Villa!  Imagine? Two in one week. Or.....just one???

    No that was the real Bob Villa at the tire place...I managed to
    procure the name from Google.
    Bob Villa, Nov 21, 2010