    company in Toronto that does this kind of work and would let me know?

    Thanks,

    Isaac

    Isaac Bosompem, Oct 13, 2006

  2. Isaac Bosompem

    Peter Alfke Guest

    Isaac, you have made it clear that you do not want to relocate, but you
    have said nothing about your education, experience, or skills. Don't
    you think that matters?
    Peter Alfke, from home

    Peter Alfke, Oct 13, 2006

  3. Peter Alfke wrote:
    > Isaac, you have made it clear that you do not want to relocate, but you
    > have said nothing about your education, experience, or skills. Don't
    > you think that matters?
    > Peter Alfke, from home
    >
    > Isaac Bosompem wrote:
    >> * snip *

    Hi Peter,

    Yes that is important information. I apologize for not including it.

    I am currently in my 3rd year of Electrical Engineering undergrad at
    Ryerson University in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The internship (if
    acquired) is slated to start right after this academic year.
    This effectively delays my graduation by 1 yr, but I think that is a
    really small price to pay for the experience.

    Here is a rudimentary list of my skills, a more thorough one will be
    submitted w/ my resume:

    Programming Languages: C, Java, Visual Basic, Assembly, Win32
    programming, Python

    Compilers/Environment: GNU tools, Microsoft Visual Studio

    Microprocessors/Microcontrollers: M680x0, Z80, x86, 8051, PIC, MSP430,
    ARM7, HC11, Renesas SuperH series

    proemulator.sf.net

    I ported my Z80 emulator to this app some time ago. My M68000 emulator
    is working and is tested to be quite accurate, but the author no longer
    maintains it or updates it so I decided against porting it (even though
    I can still get into the CVS).

    Programmable Logic: Xilinx Spartan3 series FPGA w/ Xilinx ISE WebPack

    I designed a simple VGA frambuffer 320x240x2-bit and a simplistic
    16-bit CPU in VHDL.

    Electronics: Basic analog electronics (FET's, OpAmps, BJT's, etc.)
    Here all I did was some school projects. Simple stuff: VCO's, FET amps,
    etc.

    Operating Systems: Linux, MS-DOS, Windows (effective w/ all).
    Been doing installs on all OS's for quite some time now. Used MS-DOS
    while I was growing up (had it first running on a 16Mhz 386SX).

    Most the stuff I have learned was from buying products containing the
    previously mentioned items and playing around with them and their
    associated tools and reading my dads old college books (he studied
    electronics engineering technology at NAIT. They did extensive course
    work in digital electronics).

    I really do not have any related engineering experience. I did work for
    GO Transit this past summer, a major transportation company here in
    Ontario, as general help. I was called on one day to look over some
    computer scans of microfilm schematics of the trains (and electrical
    systems) to make sure they were up to par.

    I would like to shadow some teams in the engineering sector to get a
    feel of what you guys do in the industry. I would like to see how you
    guys solve problems, tackle issues or shortcomings you come up in
    development and the like. I'd also like to learn from the people
    working in this industry in general since they have a wealth of
    knowledge and experience. Sometthing I think can be invaluable to me in
    my career.

    They have some listings at my school, but they are not exactly what I
    am interested in. Thanks for listening to my story!

    Any companys you know of in Toronto?
    I know Altera has some offices here. Might try and get a hold of them
    later on.

    -Isaac

    Isaac Bosompem, Oct 13, 2006
  4. Isaac Bosompem

    CBFalconer Guest

    Isaac Bosompem wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > I am currently in my 3rd year of Electrical Engineering undergrad
    > at Ryerson University in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The internship
    > (if acquired) is slated to start right after this academic year.
    > This effectively delays my graduation by 1 yr, but I think that is
    > a really small price to pay for the experience.

    I am surprised to see Ryerson classified as a university. In my
    student days it was a first class technical school, but definitely
    not a university. No deprecation intended, my student days
    preceded transistors.

    .... snip impressive list of student achievements ...

    --
    Some informative links:

    CBFalconer, Oct 13, 2006
  5. Isaac Bosompem

    Tom Lucas Guest

    "Isaac Bosompem" <> wrote in message

    > Hi Peter,
    >
    > Yes that is important information. I apologize for not including it.
    >
    > I am currently in my 3rd year of Electrical Engineering undergrad at
    > Ryerson University in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The internship (if
    > acquired) is slated to start right after this academic year.
    > This effectively delays my graduation by 1 yr, but I think that is a
    > really small price to pay for the experience.

    I would definitely recommend the year out - the difference between
    graduates that had industrial experience and those who don't is huge and
    employers really take notice of that.

    I would look at Dy4 Systems who I think are now part of a different
    group (simple google to find I'm sure) who I believe are based around
    Toronto or maybe somewhere else but Canada is a pretty small place ;-)
    They are into single board computers for aerospace and make some
    interesting things and work with some good technology on interesting
    projects. Your skills would fit pretty well into their picture but I
    have no idea about whether they do internships.

    <snip resumé>

    Tom Lucas, Oct 13, 2006
  6. Isaac Bosompem

    Joerg Guest

    Hello Isaac,

    > I am currently in my 3rd year of Electrical Engineering undergrad at
    > Ryerson University in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The internship (if
    > acquired) is slated to start right after this academic year.
    > This effectively delays my graduation by 1 yr, but I think that is a
    > really small price to pay for the experience.

    Absolutely! We need grads that have practical skills. I have seen many
    (far too many) who can't even solder. It's pathetic these days.

    > Here is a rudimentary list of my skills, a more thorough one will be
    > submitted w/ my resume:
    >
    > Programming Languages: C, Java, Visual Basic, Assembly, Win32
    > programming, Python
    >
    > Compilers/Environment: GNU tools, Microsoft Visual Studio
    >
    > Microprocessors/Microcontrollers: M680x0, Z80, x86, 8051, PIC, MSP430,
    > ARM7, HC11, Renesas SuperH series
    >
    > proemulator.sf.net
    >
    > I ported my Z80 emulator to this app some time ago. My M68000 emulator
    > is working and is tested to be quite accurate, but the author no longer
    > maintains it or updates it so I decided against porting it (even though
    > I can still get into the CVS).
    >

    > Programmable Logic: Xilinx Spartan3 series FPGA w/ Xilinx ISE WebPack
    >
    > I designed a simple VGA frambuffer 320x240x2-bit and a simplistic
    > 16-bit CPU in VHDL.
    >

    > Electronics: Basic analog electronics (FET's, OpAmps, BJT's, etc.)
    > Here all I did was some school projects. Simple stuff: VCO's, FET amps,
    > etc.
    >
    > Operating Systems: Linux, MS-DOS, Windows (effective w/ all).
    > Been doing installs on all OS's for quite some time now. Used MS-DOS
    > while I was growing up (had it first running on a 16Mhz 386SX).
    >
    > Most the stuff I have learned was from buying products containing the
    > previously mentioned items and playing around with them and their
    > associated tools and reading my dads old college books (he studied
    > electronics engineering technology at NAIT. They did extensive course
    > work in digital electronics).
    >
    > I really do not have any related engineering experience. I did work for
    > GO Transit this past summer, a major transportation company here in
    > Ontario, as general help. I was called on one day to look over some
    > computer scans of microfilm schematics of the trains (and electrical
    > systems) to make sure they were up to par.
    >
    > I would like to shadow some teams in the engineering sector to get a
    > feel of what you guys do in the industry. I would like to see how you
    > guys solve problems, tackle issues or shortcomings you come up in
    > development and the like. I'd also like to learn from the people
    > working in this industry in general since they have a wealth of
    > knowledge and experience. Sometthing I think can be invaluable to me in
    > my career.
    >
    > They have some listings at my school, but they are not exactly what I
    > am interested in. Thanks for listening to my story!
    >
    > Any companys you know of in Toronto?

    Just a suggestion: Post again under the subject "Looking for internship
    near Toronto". And also post in sci.electronics.design. There are a few
    Canadians who know the industry up there. Monster might be another
    avenue (though I don't know if that one is free).

    Relocation: I wouldn't exclude other places. All my vacation jobs during
    my university time were actually in other countries. Sometimes I pooled
    my available rent money with a few others and then we found we were able
    to rent a nice big house. Almost cost me less than my apartment near the
    university. And you don't have to live off cans and ramen noodles. It is
    amazing what you can cook out of fresh ingredients, from scratch, if you
    have critical mass (enough cash contributing eaters). We took turns
    shopping and usually cooked together. Pizzas, casseroles and what not,
    all from scratch and for little money. Yep, we made our own dough. I
    never ate any fast food from the first day at the university until they
    handed me my masters. Still don't :)

    --
    Regards, Joerg

    http://www.analogconsultants.com

    Joerg, Oct 13, 2006
  7. CBFalconer wrote:
    > Isaac Bosompem wrote:
    > >

    > ... snip ...
    > I am surprised to see Ryerson classified as a university. In my
    > student days it was a first class technical school, but definitely
    > not a university. No deprecation intended, my student days
    > preceded transistors.
    >
    > ... snip impressive list of student achievements ...
    >
    > --
    > Some informative links:
    > <http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/>
    > <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>
    > <http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html>
    > <http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html>
    > <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>

    Yes they have switched 20 - 30 yrs ago. I have been worried about
    whether its reputation would affect my chances at some companies. It
    doesn't seem to be as well known as some of the other established
    Canadian schools (U of Toronto, U of Waterloo, Queens, etc.).

    -Isaac

    Isaac Bosompem, Oct 13, 2006
  8. Tom Lucas wrote:
    > "Isaac Bosompem" <> wrote in message
    >

    > > Hi Peter,
    > >
    > > Yes that is important information. I apologize for not including it.
    > >
    > > I am currently in my 3rd year of Electrical Engineering undergrad at
    > > Ryerson University in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The internship (if
    > > acquired) is slated to start right after this academic year.
    > > This effectively delays my graduation by 1 yr, but I think that is a
    > > really small price to pay for the experience.

    > I would definitely recommend the year out - the difference between
    > graduates that had industrial experience and those who don't is huge and
    > employers really take notice of that.
    >
    > I would look at Dy4 Systems who I think are now part of a different
    > group (simple google to find I'm sure) who I believe are based around
    > Toronto or maybe somewhere else but Canada is a pretty small place ;-)
    > They are into single board computers for aerospace and make some
    > interesting things and work with some good technology on interesting
    > projects. Your skills would fit pretty well into their picture but I
    > have no idea about whether they do internships.
    >
    > <snip resumé>

    Hi Tom,

    I will take a look into it. I found their (new) website:
    http://www.cwcembedded.com/

    Thanks for the info!

    -Isaac

    Isaac Bosompem, Oct 13, 2006
  9. Joerg wrote:
    > Hello Isaac,

    Hi Joerg,

    > > I am currently in my 3rd year of Electrical Engineering undergrad at
    > > Ryerson University in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The internship (if
    > > acquired) is slated to start right after this academic year.
    > > This effectively delays my graduation by 1 yr, but I think that is a
    > > really small price to pay for the experience.
    > >

    > Absolutely! We need grads that have practical skills. I have seen many
    > (far too many) who can't even solder. It's pathetic these days.

    Yes, haha, I definitely need some pointers on that. Well I guess I can
    blame it on the fact that I am using my dads umm less that spectacular
    iron.

    >> *snip *

    > Just a suggestion: Post again under the subject "Looking for internship
    > near Toronto". And also post in sci.electronics.design. There are a few
    > Canadians who know the industry up there. Monster might be another
    > avenue (though I don't know if that one is free).

    I will do that. I am a bit of a newbie to USENET so I am not too
    familiar with the various groups that have technical natured
    discussions.

    > Relocation: I wouldn't exclude other places. All my vacation jobs during
    > my university time were actually in other countries. Sometimes I pooled
    > my available rent money with a few others and then we found we were able
    > to rent a nice big house. Almost cost me less than my apartment near the
    > university. And you don't have to live off cans and ramen noodles. It is
    > amazing what you can cook out of fresh ingredients, from scratch, if you
    > have critical mass (enough cash contributing eaters). We took turns
    > shopping and usually cooked together. Pizzas, casseroles and what not,
    > all from scratch and for little money. Yep, we made our own dough. I
    > never ate any fast food from the first day at the university until they
    > handed me my masters. Still don't :)

    Well relocation is definitely not out of the cards if some assistance
    can be offered. Or camping in with others haha. I also can cook for
    myself too. As a kid my parents were both working quite late at night
    so I had to do it or else I would go hungry ;). Though I have never
    made a casserole! I have made some pizza but that was with the
    assistance of my older sister.

    > --
    > Regards, Joerg
    >
    > http://www.analogconsultants.com

    As an aside note, there is an offer for a position with Redline
    Communications (http://www.redlinecommunications.com/). I think I could
    be a fit with them. I will forward a resume to them.

    I am also hearing of RIM making postings later on. Though those will
    likely be game/app programming. That I think will be worth taking a
    look at. Thanks for reading this, anyone else have something to offer?

    -Isaac

    Isaac Bosompem, Oct 13, 2006
  10. Isaac Bosompem

    Joerg Guest

    Hello Isaac,

    > I am also hearing of RIM making postings later on. Though those will
    > likely be game/app programming. That I think will be worth taking a
    > look at. Thanks for reading this, anyone else have something to offer?

    Check these guys out, great company:

    http://www.slb.com/content/careers/needs/interns.asp?

    I did that when I was young. Real adventure, certainly not for the faint
    of heart. You have to be confident that you can stomach rough helicopter
    rides and living way out at sea. You might not want to apply if you have
    a tendency to get sea sick. Also requires a very thorough medical (they
    reimbursed me for all that). Candidates usually have to be in really
    good shape. The doc couldn't make my heart rate go up and asked me to
    step on it a bit on that exercise bike. Then its break belt began to
    smoke...

    Joerg, Oct 13, 2006
  11. Isaac Bosompem

    Tom Lucas Guest

    "Joerg" <> wrote in message

    >> Any companys you know of in Toronto?

    > Just a suggestion: Post again under the subject "Looking for
    > internship near Toronto". And also post in sci.electronics.design.
    > There are a few Canadians who know the industry up there. Monster
    > might be another avenue (though I don't know if that one is free).

    I signed up on the UK Monster which is free but it does take a long time
    to get all your details into it. However, of all the agencies I gave my
    details to Monster generated by far the most calls. Admittedly many of
    them were completely unsuitable but agents tend to cast their nets wide
    when trying to fill a position. I'm happy with my current job but I
    still get calls despite taking my details down from Monster now - I
    guess some agents don't keep very up-to-date records but it shows that
    they are keeping people on their files.

    > Relocation: I wouldn't exclude other places. All my vacation jobs
    > during my university time were actually in other countries. Sometimes
    > I pooled my available rent money with a few others and then we found
    > we were able to rent a nice big house. Almost cost me less than my
    > apartment near the university. And you don't have to live off cans and
    > ramen noodles. It is amazing what you can cook out of fresh
    > ingredients, from scratch, if you have critical mass (enough cash
    > contributing eaters). We took turns shopping and usually cooked
    > together. Pizzas, casseroles and what not, all from scratch and for
    > little money. Yep, we made our own dough. I never ate any fast food
    > from the first day at the university until they handed me my masters.
    > Still don't :)

    Joerg is totally right on this - the more of you there are the cheaper
    everything gets. However, you do need to get on well with your commune
    because everyone has to eat the same thing, use the same shampoo, share
    the same phone etc if it is going to work. You can make a big vat of
    spaghetti bolognese for well under $10 that will feed 4 people for days.
    Splash out on fresh basil though (or grow your own) because it makes all
    the difference.

    Tom Lucas, Oct 16, 2006
  12. Isaac Bosompem

    Guenter Guest

    Isaac Bosompem wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I am currently in the process of looking for an internship position
    > that will potentially start in May and end on Sept the following yr (16
    > months, but can be 12 months or 8 months). Now I am not asking you guys
    > to do anything at all really. I am living in the Toronto, Ontario,
    > Canada area and would like to stay there since I don't think I could
    > stomach the costs of relocating temporarily (that is if I manage to
    > secure a position, also its not fun living off Kraft Dinner either!).

    Not sure how far this is from your place, but maybe something:

    http://www.nortel.com/corporate/global/namerica/canada/ottawa.html

    Cheers,

    Guenter

    Guenter, Oct 16, 2006