OT: SATA Drive Enclosures?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by (PeteCresswell), Sep 15, 2010.

  1. Just discovered that my four "MyBook" drives run *hot*.... like
    high fifties C.

    These are 500-gig drives that I use for rotating backups.

    Put up a post in the XP group about maybe just stripping off the
    "book cover" part of the enclosure and running them naked -
    slipping the cover back on for storage.

    Failing that, has anybody got a scheme for managing a series of
    backup drives?

    Looks like the obvious path is somewhere between $50 and $80 per
    housing.

    But it seems like the SATA power and cable interfaces lend
    themselves well to maybe a single housing that is designed for a
    raw drive to just slide in and out of. That being the case, the
    raw drive could be stored/transported in a static bag or maybe
    some folded/taped bubble wrap.

    The basic requirement is multiple backups that can be stored
    offsite. There is too much data for my bandwidth to use a
    cloud solution.

    Anybody got some out-of-the-box thinking on this subject?

    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Sep 15, 2010

  2. Per (PeteCresswell):

    >But it seems like the SATA power and cable interfaces lend
    >themselves well to maybe a single housing that is designed for a
    >raw drive to just slide in and out of. That being the case, the
    >raw drive could be stored/transported in a static bag or maybe
    >some folded/taped bubble wrap.

    Here's one that I'd probably buy if:

    - It kept the temp below 42 C

    - Removing the drive didn't involve digging it
    out with one's fingers - i.e. that little door
    somehow extracted the drive an inch or so.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Sep 15, 2010

  3. (PeteCresswell)

    Paul Guest

    (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > Just discovered that my four "MyBook" drives run *hot*.... like
    > high fifties C.
    >
    > These are 500-gig drives that I use for rotating backups.
    >
    > Put up a post in the XP group about maybe just stripping off the
    > "book cover" part of the enclosure and running them naked -
    > slipping the cover back on for storage.
    >
    > Failing that, has anybody got a scheme for managing a series of
    > backup drives?
    >
    > Looks like the obvious path is somewhere between $50 and $80 per
    > housing.
    >
    > But it seems like the SATA power and cable interfaces lend
    > themselves well to maybe a single housing that is designed for a
    > raw drive to just slide in and out of. That being the case, the
    > raw drive could be stored/transported in a static bag or maybe
    > some folded/taped bubble wrap.
    >
    > The basic requirement is multiple backups that can be stored
    > offsite. There is too much data for my bandwidth to use a
    > cloud solution.
    >
    > Anybody got some out-of-the-box thinking on this subject?

    $30 will get you an enclosure with a fan on it.

    AMS DS-309SU 3.5" Black USB 2.0 External Enclosure

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-332-022

    That one, has an 80mm fan integrated into the lid. Which is
    both a plus and a minus. Unlike disk enclosures that come with a
    40mm on the back, an 80mm spins slower (less obvious noise).
    But, if the 80mm wears out, you can't replace it as easily as
    the cases that come with the tiny whiney 40mm in it. The
    ones with a 40mm, the 40mm unbolts for easy replacement.
    In fact, I change out the 40mm on enclosures, as soon as
    I take delivery :) I put a quality ball bearing fan in
    its place (purchased from a local electronics store).
    I've had 40mm fans on enclosures wear out, in as little
    as one day of usage. One 40mm fan, had a pool of oil sitting
    below it, as proof the manufacturer tried to keep it quiet
    with liberal doses of oil.

    http://www.neowin.net/forum/uploads/post-73934-1102044453.jpg

    You can always just cut a hole in the current enclosure, and add a fan to
    it. For example, right now, as I type, a four wire cable snakes
    from my computer, to an 80mm fan. The 80mm fan blows over my
    ADSL modem (has inadequate cooling). I only run the ADSL modem,
    while the computer is powered up, and that's how I keep it cool.
    The four wire cable, comes from a disk drive power connector.

    You could also get power (+12V) from inside the disk enclosure, if
    the drive type is 3.5". A 3.5" drive needs 12V, which is also the
    voltage a brushless DC cooling fan would use. As long as the
    fan has modest power requirements, it shouldn't overload the
    wall adapter.

    I used a Vantec Stealth 80mm for my cooling project. But you should
    also have a pile of adapter cables and the like lying around, to
    connect things like that up. You can see in the picture here,
    this one comes with a "daisy chain" power connector, which
    works for some situations where you need cooling. But you won't
    know what power connections are available inside the WD enclosure,
    until you open it.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999602

    (That one uses 80ma of current from +12V, which is pretty low.)

    http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/113

    If you just remove the casing, and leave the raw drive sitting
    in the room air, you might see 35 to 40C or so temperatures. Which
    is fine, if the room air is dry (below 60% R.H.). Air above
    60% R.H. causes the carpets to mildew, and that's how you'll get
    a rough idea of the humidity. Using the fan will drop you below
    35C.

    Paul
    Paul, Sep 15, 2010
  4. (PeteCresswell)

    mm Guest

    On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 20:53:55 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <>
    wrote:

    >Just discovered that my four "MyBook" drives run *hot*.... like
    >high fifties C.
    >
    >These are 500-gig drives that I use for rotating backups.
    >
    >Put up a post in the XP group about maybe just stripping off the
    >"book cover" part of the enclosure and running them naked -
    >slipping the cover back on for storage.
    >
    >Failing that, has anybody got a scheme for managing a series of
    >backup drives?
    >
    >Looks like the obvious path is somewhere between $50 and $80 per
    >housing.
    >
    >But it seems like the SATA power and cable interfaces lend
    >themselves well to maybe a single housing that is designed for a
    >raw drive to just slide in and out of. That being the case, the
    >raw drive could be stored/transported in a static bag or maybe
    >some folded/taped bubble wrap.
    >
    >The basic requirement is multiple backups that can be stored
    >offsite. There is too much data for my bandwidth to use a
    >cloud solution.
    >
    >Anybody got some out-of-the-box thinking on this subject?

    Have you considered a dock, not an enclosure, that plugs into the USB.

    Thermaltake makes one for one drive, and a similar one for two at the
    same time. You can iiuc copy one to the other, even.

    Both 2.5 and 3.5 iirc.

    I'm thinking about getting an enclosure or a dock, so I'd be
    interested in what you (all) think are the advantages and
    disadvantages of each.

    Also, is that thermal tah kee, or does it rhyme with cake?
    mm, Sep 15, 2010
  5. Per mm:
    >Have you considered a dock, not an enclosure, that plugs into the USB.
    >
    >Thermaltake makes one for one drive, and a similar one for two at the
    >same time. You can iiuc copy one to the other, even.
    >
    >Both 2.5 and 3.5 iirc.
    >
    >I'm thinking about getting an enclosure or a dock, so I'd be
    >interested in what you (all) think are the advantages and
    >disadvantages of each.

    I did not know the term "Dock" until you mentioned it.

    Googling, I see that a dock is what I had in mind.

    The first one I saw - before I knew from "Dock" was at
    http://www.cooldrives.com/qwsaiitofian1.html Although it has the
    itty-bitty 40 mil fan that Paul refers to, the noise would not be
    an issue bc it would live in a server closet.

    Now that I know the term of art, Googling "SATA dock" returns
    some interesting hits.

    This one is interesting just on the basis of looks - although I
    don't see how the drive would be cooled sufficiently:
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/usb-gadgets/a7ea/

    I think "Dock" is the deal. Just gotta look some more now that
    I know what I am looking for.

    Paul's comments about 40 vs 80 mm fans ring true to me.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Sep 15, 2010
  6. Per (PeteCresswell):
    >I think "Dock" is the deal. Just gotta look some more now that
    >I know what I am looking for.
    >
    >Paul's comments about 40 vs 80 mm fans ring true to me.

    I think this is going to be the one:
    http://www.overclockers.com/vantec-nexstar-sata-drive-dock/

    If there is a temperature issue (and I expect there will be) I
    will place a free-standing Dollar-store-special fan next to it.

    If that works, then it works.... If it does not work, then I'll
    use that dock on my regular PC for brief uses of drives and get
    something with a built-in fan for the server closet.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Sep 15, 2010
  7. (PeteCresswell)

    Foke Guest

    On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 20:53:55 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:

    >Just discovered that my four "MyBook" drives run *hot*.... like
    >high fifties C.
    >
    >These are 500-gig drives that I use for rotating backups.
    >
    >Put up a post in the XP group about maybe just stripping off the
    >"book cover" part of the enclosure and running them naked -
    >slipping the cover back on for storage.
    >
    >Failing that, has anybody got a scheme for managing a series of
    >backup drives?
    >
    >Looks like the obvious path is somewhere between $50 and $80 per
    >housing.
    >
    >But it seems like the SATA power and cable interfaces lend
    >themselves well to maybe a single housing that is designed for a
    >raw drive to just slide in and out of. That being the case, the
    >raw drive could be stored/transported in a static bag or maybe
    >some folded/taped bubble wrap.
    >
    >The basic requirement is multiple backups that can be stored
    >offsite. There is too much data for my bandwidth to use a
    >cloud solution.
    >
    >Anybody got some out-of-the-box thinking on this subject?

    I have a few of those too and have been using them for backups for years.
    Don't worry about the heat. They're engineered to handle it.
    Foke, Sep 15, 2010
  8. (PeteCresswell)

    Phat_Jethro Guest

    On 9/14/2010 8:53 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > Just discovered that my four "MyBook" drives run *hot*.... like
    > high fifties C.
    >
    > These are 500-gig drives that I use for rotating backups.
    >
    > Put up a post in the XP group about maybe just stripping off the
    > "book cover" part of the enclosure and running them naked -
    > slipping the cover back on for storage.
    >
    > Failing that, has anybody got a scheme for managing a series of
    > backup drives?
    >
    > Looks like the obvious path is somewhere between $50 and $80 per
    > housing.
    >
    > But it seems like the SATA power and cable interfaces lend
    > themselves well to maybe a single housing that is designed for a
    > raw drive to just slide in and out of. That being the case, the
    > raw drive could be stored/transported in a static bag or maybe
    > some folded/taped bubble wrap.
    >
    > The basic requirement is multiple backups that can be stored
    > offsite. There is too much data for my bandwidth to use a
    > cloud solution.
    >
    > Anybody got some out-of-the-box thinking on this subject?

    How about a Thermatake external USB swapping enclosure.
    http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1268&ID=1731

    That's open to the air, easy swappable.

    --
    Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Jethro
    Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com
    Phat_Jethro, Sep 15, 2010
  9. On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 11:41:08 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <>
    wrote:

    >Per (PeteCresswell):
    >>I think "Dock" is the deal. Just gotta look some more now that
    >>I know what I am looking for.
    >>
    >>Paul's comments about 40 vs 80 mm fans ring true to me.

    >I think this is going to be the one:
    >http://www.overclockers.com/vantec-nexstar-sata-drive-dock/
    >
    >If there is a temperature issue (and I expect there will be) I
    >will place a free-standing Dollar-store-special fan next to it.
    >
    >If that works, then it works.... If it does not work, then I'll
    >use that dock on my regular PC for brief uses of drives and get
    >something with a built-in fan for the server closet.

    Pete,

    I have a few questions that I'd like for you to respond to after you
    try out the NexStar dock.

    I've tried some "external" drives, with and without cases with mixed
    results. Basically, I've found that Sata drives are *not*
    hot-swapable, at least not on my computer. I mention this because I
    had thought that they would be.... and the fact that they aren't makes
    the use of the "dock" much less useful.... so, I'd like to know what
    your experience is.

    Of course, the dock you're looking at is also USB connectable, which
    of course is hot-swapable.... but USB performance is quite a bit less
    than Sata. I finally decided to go with chained Firewire drives, which
    give me the hot-swap capability, but I don't think I'm getting the
    performance I'd get with Sata.

    So, if you don't mind posting back later whether you are able to
    hot-swap, and if so, connected as Sata or USB... and what your overall
    performance is vs an internal Sata drive.
    --
    Charlie Hoffpauir

    Everything is what it is because it got that way....D'Arcy Thompson
    Charlie Hoffpauir, Sep 15, 2010
  10. Per Charlie Hoffpauir:
    >So, if you don't mind posting back later whether you are able to
    >hot-swap, and if so, connected as Sata or USB... and what your overall
    >performance is vs an internal Sata drive.

    Ping me on this thread in a couple days. I'm about 23 miles west
    of Philly and the thing shipped from Edison NJ this evening.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Sep 16, 2010
  11. Per William:
    >After the last backup of my HD in January, which took over 25 DVD's, I
    >decided to purchase an external HD enclosure and drive. I went with the
    >Rosewill RX-358, and a Samsung 1.5TB Green HD found at Newegg. It has an
    >internal SATA I/II hd interface, and an USB 2.0 / eSATA output. The
    >enclosure holds a 80mm cooling fan when needed.

    This is tangential but, IMHO, you need at least three drives for
    backup.

    Couple years back I had a flaky USB card that fried my backup
    drive. Fried the second drive as soon as I brainlessly mounted
    it.

    Only thing that saved me was the third drive's being at another
    location (my disk at work).

    Right now, I'm rotating four drives, keeping one in the garden
    shed - at least until the weather turns, then it'll be the
    neighbor's garage.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Sep 16, 2010
  12. (PeteCresswell)

    Keith S. Guest

    Re: SATA Drive Enclosures?

    On 9/15/2010 4:54 PM, Ian D wrote:
    > "(PeteCresswell)"<> wrote in message
    >> Just discovered that my four "MyBook" drives run *hot*.... like
    >> high fifties C.
    >>
    >> These are 500-gig drives that I use for rotating backups.
    >>
    >> Put up a post in the XP group about maybe just stripping off the
    >> "book cover" part of the enclosure and running them naked -
    >> slipping the cover back on for storage.
    >>
    >> Failing that, has anybody got a scheme for managing a series of
    >> backup drives?
    >>
    >> Looks like the obvious path is somewhere between $50 and $80 per
    >> housing.
    >>
    >> But it seems like the SATA power and cable interfaces lend
    >> themselves well to maybe a single housing that is designed for a
    >> raw drive to just slide in and out of. That being the case, the
    >> raw drive could be stored/transported in a static bag or maybe
    >> some folded/taped bubble wrap.
    >>
    >> The basic requirement is multiple backups that can be stored
    >> offsite. There is too much data for my bandwidth to use a
    >> cloud solution.
    >>
    >> Anybody got some out-of-the-box thinking on this subject?
    >>

    >> --
    >> PeteCresswell

    > You can use one of these. I have the USB2/eSATA one.
    > They take both 3.5" and 2.5" drives. I use WD 500GB
    > 2.5" Blues for backups. They take up little room and run
    > very cool, barely warm to the touch. The 3.5" drives
    > have larger capacities, but take up more room and run
    > hotter, although I have a WD 1TB Black that only reaches
    > about 45C after more than an hour. You can also boot
    > XP/Vista/Win7 from the eSATA BLACX, using the eSATA
    > interface. It's great for booting to an OS you only use
    > occasionally.
    >
    > http://thermaltakeusa.com/Products.aspx?C=1346

    Also look into one of these:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371008

    I have one with a WD 2Tb plugged into my Directv DVR.
    Keith S., Sep 20, 2010
  13. (PeteCresswell)

    mm Guest

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 10:35:24 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <>
    wrote:

    >Per mm:
    >>Have you considered a dock, not an enclosure, that plugs into the USB.
    >>
    >>Thermaltake makes one for one drive, and a similar one for two at the
    >>same time. You can iiuc copy one to the other, even.
    >>
    >>Both 2.5 and 3.5 iirc.
    >>
    >>I'm thinking about getting an enclosure or a dock, so I'd be
    >>interested in what you (all) think are the advantages and
    >>disadvantages of each.

    >I did not know the term "Dock" until you mentioned it.

    There used to be enclosures. Maybe they're not sold anymore.

    I have 2. One for 3 1/2, one for 2 1/2. They were very cheap. No
    fan, but drives were smaller two years ago.

    The big one is ide and sata. But you have to unscrew the cover,
    connect connectors and screw the cover back on.

    >Googling, I see that a dock is what I had in mind.

    No screwing or connecting it seems, right?

    >The first one I saw - before I knew from "Dock" was at
    >http://www.cooldrives.com/qwsaiitofian1.html Although it has the
    >itty-bitty 40 mil fan that Paul refers to, the noise would not be
    >an issue bc it would live in a server closet.
    >
    >Now that I know the term of art, Googling "SATA dock" returns
    >some interesting hits.
    >
    >This one is interesting just on the basis of looks - although I
    >don't see how the drive would be cooled sufficiently:

    Well, I have a 500 gig My Book by WD which I don't think has any fan
    == it's totally quiet even when I put my ear up to it -- and it seems
    to work well enough. It has lots of vents but the ones on the bottom
    are closed when it sits on its bottom, which it is normally supposed
    to do. the dock below has no vents, or maybe it's all vent.

    mm, Sep 21, 2010
  14. (PeteCresswell)

    mm Guest

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 22:46:00 -0400, mm <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 10:35:24 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Per mm:
    >>>Have you considered a dock, not an enclosure, that plugs into the USB.
    >>>
    >>>Thermaltake makes one for one drive, and a similar one for two at the
    >>>same time. You can iiuc copy one to the other, even.
    >>>
    >>>Both 2.5 and 3.5 iirc.
    >>>
    >>>I'm thinking about getting an enclosure or a dock, so I'd be
    >>>interested in what you (all) think are the advantages and
    >>>disadvantages of each.

    >>I did not know the term "Dock" until you mentioned it.

    >There used to be enclosures. Maybe they're not sold anymore.

    BTW, I know that external harddrives are still sold. I have one.
    What I meant were just boxes to hold HD's, with a power supply. Mine
    were less than 10 each, including shipping iirc. But it's worth the
    extra money to be able to change drives quickly.

    My old IDE drives someone gavem haven't been fully tested yet, but
    they are really small by today's standards.

    mm, Sep 21, 2010
  15. Per mm:
    > the dock below has no vents, or maybe it's all vent.
    >
    >>http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/usb-gadgets/a7ea/

    I settled on the single-disc version of that product - expecting
    it to run hot, but was pleasantly surprised.

    A 500-gig drive taken from a MyBook runs at 30-40 C depending on
    activity and the ambient temp of the server closet.

    That same drive in the MyBook enclosure was running mid to high
    forties most of the time.

    Somebody else observed that putting feet on the MyBook enclosure
    dropped the temp significantly. Haven't tried that yet, but
    will try it on one of my remaining MyBooks before gutting it.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Sep 21, 2010
  16. On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 09:41:39 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <>
    wrote:

    >Per mm:
    >> the dock below has no vents, or maybe it's all vent.
    >>
    >>>http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/usb-gadgets/a7ea/
    >>>

    >I settled on the single-disc version of that product - expecting
    >it to run hot, but was pleasantly surprised.
    >
    >A 500-gig drive taken from a MyBook runs at 30-40 C depending on
    >activity and the ambient temp of the server closet.
    >
    >That same drive in the MyBook enclosure was running mid to high
    >forties most of the time.
    >
    >Somebody else observed that putting feet on the MyBook enclosure
    >dropped the temp significantly. Haven't tried that yet, but
    >will try it on one of my remaining MyBooks before gutting it.

    Pete,

    Can you comment on a couple of other things Re. your new dock?

    1. Are SATA drives hot-swappable using the dock, or do you have to
    reboot the computer when changing drives.
    2. Do you find the same performance as with an internal SATA drive?

    Charlie Hoffpauir, Sep 21, 2010
  17. On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 09:41:39 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <>
    wrote:

    >Per mm:
    >> the dock below has no vents, or maybe it's all vent.
    >>
    >>>http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/usb-gadgets/a7ea/
    >>>

    >I settled on the single-disc version of that product - expecting
    >it to run hot, but was pleasantly surprised.
    >
    >A 500-gig drive taken from a MyBook runs at 30-40 C depending on
    >activity and the ambient temp of the server closet.
    >
    >That same drive in the MyBook enclosure was running mid to high
    >forties most of the time.
    >
    >Somebody else observed that putting feet on the MyBook enclosure
    >dropped the temp significantly. Haven't tried that yet, but
    >will try it on one of my remaining MyBooks before gutting it.

    Regarding WD MyBook... I Had two 750 GB MyBooks fail over a span of
    about 3 years in service as a DirecTV DVR external drive. Each was
    freestanding on an open shelf in AC Den. I also had 2 Seagate
    FreeAgent Pro drives in similar service with no failures. Now in
    looking at the enclosures of each, the MyBook enclosure looks to
    provide much more air circulation, plus more internal room, and the
    FreeAgent drives feel much hotter (the case) than the MyBook.... yet
    it was the MyBook that failed.
    I've now replaced the MyBook with an internal 1 TB drive (doing so
    voids the DVR warranty, but it is too old for warranty service anyway,
    so I figured "what the heck").

    Charlie Hoffpauir, Sep 21, 2010
  18. Per Charlie Hoffpauir:
    >1. Are SATA drives hot-swappable using the dock, or do you have to
    >reboot the computer when changing drives.

    Not on my Windows Home Server machine currently.

    The deal is that on pre-Windows 7 installs, the AHCI feature must
    be enabled in BIOS pre-install.

    There seem tb two workarounds for that:

    - Re-installing the controller's driver using a later version
    that supports AHCI, then turning BIOS' AHCI on

    - Using a SATA card whose driver already supports AHCI.
    I am doing this on my desktop box and it works - although
    insert/removal times leave something tb desired compared
    to a USB wrapper

    >2. Do you find the same performance as with an internal SATA drive?

    Can't tell yet on the WHS box/Toaster implementation bc I can't
    get it to recognize the SATA connection. I suspect an issue
    with the SATA card and will try another card I have laying
    around when I get time/inclination/nerve.

    USB speed is pretty bad: 33 mb per second - compared to about
    80 for internal SATA drives. But that is moot to me bc
    it is used for backups that run unattended.

    On my desktop box with a different SATA card and a bay-mounted
    swappable dock, performance is on a par with the internal
    HD plugged right into the board's SATA connector: 80 mbps.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Sep 21, 2010
  19. (PeteCresswell)

    mm Guest

    wrote:

    >That same drive in the MyBook enclosure was running mid to high
    >forties most of the time.

    How do you measure these temperatures?

    >Somebody else observed that putting feet on the MyBook enclosure
    >dropped the temp significantly. Haven't tried that yet, but
    >will try it on one of my remaining MyBooks before gutting it.

    Feet are a good idea.

    mm, Sep 22, 2010
  20. Per mm:
    >>That same drive in the MyBook enclosure was running mid to high
    >>forties most of the time.

    >How do you measure these temperatures?

    Drives' built-in thermometer via an app called "Hard Disc
    Sentinel" www.hdsentinel.com
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Sep 24, 2010