OT: Telegraph interview with Jonathan Ive

Discussion in 'Apple' started by JF Mezei, May 24, 2012.

  1. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    JF Mezei, May 24, 2012

  2. JF Mezei

    Warren Oates Guest

    In article <4fbd7f44$0$6789$c3e8da3$>,
    JF Mezei <> wrote:

    > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/9283486/Jonathan-Ive-interview-App
    > les-design-genius-is-British-to-the-core.html
    >
    > It is a 2 part interview with Jonathan Ive.
    >
    > He is to be knighted on May 23rd. (This is a british ritual which
    > involved the queen using a very sharp knife (sometimes called a sword :)

    A Knighthood is essentially the same as the Order of Canada, or the
    Medal of Freedom (in the US). I know, there are orders of Knighthood,
    and then there are Peerages; I'm just saying is all. I wish we had
    Knighthoods in Canada. Sir Don Cherry has a nice ring to it.
    --

    .... do not cover a warm kettle or your stock may sour. -- Julia Child

    Warren Oates, May 24, 2012

  3. JF Mezei

    Király Guest

    Warren Oates <> wrote:
    > I wish we had Knighthoods in Canada. Sir Don Cherry has a nice ring to
    > it.

    A bathtub ring, more like it.

    --
    K.

    Lang may your lum reek.

    Király, May 24, 2012
  4. In article <4fbdb1aa$0$4014$c3e8da3$>, Warren
    Oates <> wrote:
    > In article <4fbd7f44$0$6789$c3e8da3$>,
    > JF Mezei <> wrote:

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/9283486/Jonathan-Ive-interview-App
    > > les-design-genius-is-British-to-the-core.html
    > >
    > > It is a 2 part interview with Jonathan Ive.
    > >
    > > He is to be knighted on May 23rd. (This is a british ritual which
    > > involved the queen using a very sharp knife (sometimes called a sword :)

    > A Knighthood is essentially the same as the Order of Canada, or the
    > Medal of Freedom (in the US). I know, there are orders of Knighthood,
    > and then there are Peerages; I'm just saying is all. I wish we had
    > Knighthoods in Canada. Sir Don Cherry has a nice ring to it.

    As part of the British Commonwealth (for what it's worth these days),
    Canada should have knighthoods and other honours bestowed by the Queen ...
    UNLESS the Canadian Government itself has decided to decline those
    honours, which is something the anti-Monarchy campaigners in New Zealand
    have been pushing for years. Judging by the botom-of-the-barrel idiots
    over the last few years getting honours for doing nothing, they could be
    right in declining. It's the same with "This Is Your Life", with such a
    small population, New Zealand has run out of real people to give these
    types of honurs to.

    Helpful Harry :eek:)

    Helpful Harry, May 24, 2012
  5. JF Mezei

    Warren Oates Guest

    In article
    <>,
    (Helpful Harry) wrote:

    > > A Knighthood is essentially the same as the Order of Canada, or the
    > > Medal of Freedom (in the US). I know, there are orders of Knighthood,
    > > and then there are Peerages; I'm just saying is all. I wish we had
    > > Knighthoods in Canada. Sir Don Cherry has a nice ring to it.

    > As part of the British Commonwealth (for what it's worth these days),
    > Canada should have knighthoods and other honours bestowed by the Queen ...
    > UNLESS the Canadian Government itself has decided to decline those
    > honours, which is something the anti-Monarchy campaigners in New Zealand
    > have been pushing for years. Judging by the botom-of-the-barrel idiots
    > over the last few years getting honours for doing nothing, they could be
    > right in declining. It's the same with "This Is Your Life", with such a
    > small population, New Zealand has run out of real people to give these
    > types of honurs to.
    >
    > Helpful Harry :eek:)

    There's no reason a Canadian citizen can't be honoured by HM, unless the
    prime-minister of the day is a spiteful uneducated little self-serving
    small-minded Frenchie twit. It's a complicated and totally boring
    history, but if we're drifting OT let's do it in style:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_titles_debate

    Although, Quebec has "knights" of some sort ("chevaliers" I guess).

    Small populations, yeah. The "Canadian Idol" show only lasted 2 seasons.
    All those "idols" are already supported by the CRTC.
    --

    .... do not cover a warm kettle or your stock may sour. -- Julia Child

    Warren Oates, May 24, 2012
  6. JF Mezei

    Paul Sture Guest

    On Wed, 23 May 2012 20:22:29 -0400, JF Mezei wrote:

    > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/9283486/Jonathan-Ive-

    interview-Apples-design-genius-is-British-to-the-core.html

    > It is a 2 part interview with Jonathan Ive.
    >
    > He is to be knighted on May 23rd. (This is a british ritual which
    > involved the queen using a very sharp knife (sometimes called a sword
    > :)

    But in this case the Princess Royal (aka Princess Anne) performed the
    ceremony.

    <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/may/23/apple-designer-jonathan-
    ive-knighthood>

    (One wonders if the Queen is grooming her to be the next monarch. I am
    pretty certain she would be a more popular choice than Charles. Dunno if
    it's feasible though.)

    --
    Paul Sture

    Paul Sture, May 24, 2012
  7. JF Mezei

    Paul Sture Guest

    On Thu, 24 May 2012 06:47:07 -0400, Warren Oates wrote:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > (Helpful Harry) wrote:
    >

    >> > A Knighthood is essentially the same as the Order of Canada, or the
    >> > Medal of Freedom (in the US). I know, there are orders of Knighthood,
    >> > and then there are Peerages; I'm just saying is all. I wish we had
    >> > Knighthoods in Canada. Sir Don Cherry has a nice ring to it.

    >> As part of the British Commonwealth (for what it's worth these days),
    >> Canada should have knighthoods and other honours bestowed by the Queen
    >> ... UNLESS the Canadian Government itself has decided to decline those
    >> honours, which is something the anti-Monarchy campaigners in New
    >> Zealand have been pushing for years. Judging by the botom-of-the-barrel
    >> idiots over the last few years getting honours for doing nothing, they
    >> could be right in declining. It's the same with "This Is Your Life",
    >> with such a small population, New Zealand has run out of real people to
    >> give these types of honurs to.
    >>
    >> Helpful Harry :eek:)

    > There's no reason a Canadian citizen can't be honoured by HM, unless the
    > prime-minister of the day is a spiteful uneducated little self-serving
    > small-minded Frenchie twit. It's a complicated and totally boring
    > history, but if we're drifting OT let's do it in style:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_titles_debate
    >
    > Although, Quebec has "knights" of some sort ("chevaliers" I guess).
    >
    > Small populations, yeah. The "Canadian Idol" show only lasted 2 seasons.
    > All those "idols" are already supported by the CRTC.

    And I note from the Guardian link I posted earlier that another chap
    knighted at the same time was a producer of Big Brother and other shows I
    prefer to avoid:

    <http://bit.ly/LHEprR>

    "Also being knighted was Sir Peter Bazalgette, 59, the TV programme-maker
    behind hit series including Big Brother, Ready Steady Cook, Changing
    Rooms and Ground Force.

    He said he was particularly pleased to be receiving a knighthood as he is
    the great-great-grandson of Sir Joseph Bazalgette, the civil engineer who
    was knighted in the 19th century for his work designing and overseeing
    the building of an enclosed sewer network for London."

    From engineer to bread and circuses in 5 generations :-(

    --
    Paul Sture

    Paul Sture, May 24, 2012
  8. JF Mezei

    Warren Oates Guest

    In article <>, Paul Sture <>
    wrote:

    > (One wonders if the Queen is grooming her to be the next monarch. I am
    > pretty certain she would be a more popular choice than Charles. Dunno if
    > it's feasible though.)

    That's not how it works. Charles is the next in line; the Princess Royal
    is like number 12 or something.

    Anyway, years ago, at the height of his popularity (early Diana days),
    in whatever "prime" the PoW might have enjoyed, there was talk about
    "maybe the Queen could abdicate" and she was, to say the least, not
    amused. The gist of her response was that "it's not a job; you can't
    just quit."

    Great movie: Kind Hearts and Coronets.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_of_succession_to_the_British_throne

    Zenouska Mowatt should be the next queen, imho. 'Cause, like, I don't
    see Warren Oates listed anywhere.
    --

    .... do not cover a warm kettle or your stock may sour. -- Julia Child

    Warren Oates, May 24, 2012
  9. JF Mezei

    Kurt Ullman Guest

    In article <4fbe3923$0$4088$c3e8da3$>,
    Warren Oates <> wrote:

    > In article <>, Paul Sture <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > (One wonders if the Queen is grooming her to be the next monarch. I am
    > > pretty certain she would be a more popular choice than Charles. Dunno if
    > > it's feasible though.)

    > That's not how it works. Charles is the next in line; the Princess Royal
    > is like number 12 or something.
    >
    > Anyway, years ago, at the height of his popularity (early Diana days),
    > in whatever "prime" the PoW might have enjoyed, there was talk about
    > "maybe the Queen could abdicate" and she was, to say the least, not
    > amused. The gist of her response was that "it's not a job; you can't
    > just quit."

    And if the genetics from the Queen Mum's side kick in, it could be
    another 20 years or so before the successor discussion becomes real.

    Kurt Ullman, May 24, 2012
  10. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    Warren Oates wrote:

    > There's no reason a Canadian citizen can't be honoured by HM, unless the
    > prime-minister of the day is a spiteful uneducated little self-serving
    > small-minded Frenchie twit.

    Not quite like this. Tradition has it that when the Queen wishes to
    honour a foreign citizen, it goes via that country's prime minister.

    Conrad Black did not want to have to recieve his invitation from Jean
    Chrétien and insisted he get it directly from the queen, so the only way
    to do this was to renounce his canadian citizenship.

    It wasn't the PM who was spiteful, it was Conrad Black who did not wish
    to deal with a PM he didn't like.

    Now, the ex criminal is back in canada begging for his citizehship back
    because nobody else wants him. Why didn't he go back to england ?

    JF Mezei, May 24, 2012
  11. JF Mezei

    Warren Oates Guest

    In article <4fbe81e0$0$1726$c3e8da3$>,
    JF Mezei <> wrote:

    > Conrad Black did not want to have to recieve his invitation from Jean
    > Chrétien and insisted he get it directly from the queen, so the only way
    > to do this was to renounce his canadian citizenship.

    That's not true.

    I'm no fan of Conrad Black, but his peerage was never ever going to come
    from Chretien, because Canadian prime ministers don't put forward
    Canadian citizens for those honours, and they haven't for years, and
    they never will.

    Black was _also_ a British citizen (as am I -- where's my knighthood?)
    and it was the British PM (Tony B-liar as it happens) who asked the
    Queen to make him a baron. Chretien in a fit of spiteful small-minded
    nasty pique invoked the antiquated "Nickle Resolution" (nothing to do
    with either the metal or the coin) which was not an act of parliament,
    but simply a resolution, and which parliaments prior to Chretien's had
    already declared "non-binding."

    Like I said, I'm no fan of Conrad Black, but the Little Asshole from
    Shawinigan should have minded his own damned business.
    --

    .... do not cover a warm kettle or your stock may sour. -- Julia Child

    Warren Oates, May 24, 2012
  12. In article <4fbe81e0$0$1726$c3e8da3$>, JF Mezei
    <> wrote:
    > Warren Oates wrote:
    > >
    > > There's no reason a Canadian citizen can't be honoured by HM, unless the
    > > prime-minister of the day is a spiteful uneducated little self-serving
    > > small-minded Frenchie twit.

    > Not quite like this. Tradition has it that when the Queen wishes to
    > honour a foreign citizen, it goes via that country's prime minister.

    Canada isn't a "foreign" country though. It's still part of the old
    British Empire and one of the Commonwealth countries, so just like New
    Zealand, Australia and other Commonwealth countries, Canada can have
    people who are given the various Queen's honours ... if the local
    Government wants them to. Its up to the local Government to decide who
    they think is worthy enough (the Queen won't even have heard of 90% of
    those who do receive honours).

    People from real foreign countries (non-Commonwealth) like America, China,
    etc. can receive one of the various honours, but they can't atually
    receive a knighthood. These I think are nominated by the British
    Government and / or the Royal house.

    Of course Jonathan Ive is British, he just happenes to live in America.

    Helpful Harry, May 24, 2012
  13. JF Mezei

    Alan Browne Guest

    On 2012-05-24 15:30 , Warren Oates wrote:
    > In article <4fbe81e0$0$1726$c3e8da3$>,
    > JF Mezei <> wrote:
    >
    >> Conrad Black did not want to have to recieve his invitation from Jean
    >> Chrétien and insisted he get it directly from the queen, so the onlyway
    >> to do this was to renounce his canadian citizenship.

    > That's not true.

    Correct.

    > I'm no fan of Conrad Black, but his peerage was never ever going to come
    > from Chretien, because Canadian prime ministers don't put forward
    > Canadian citizens for those honours, and they haven't for years, and
    > they never will.

    Not quite right. Not 'cause they won't but because they can't.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickle_Resolution#The_Nickle_Resolution

    That Chrétien applied the resolution is borne of spite, of course. If
    he had "let it go" nobody would have objected.

    (I'm not only no fan of Black, I'm outraged that he's on Canadian soil.
    If you really put your citizenship below getting British peerage (an
    ego trip), you don't deserve to be on this land - most esp. after a
    criminal conviction in the US).

    --
    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    -Samuel Clemens.

    Alan Browne, May 24, 2012
  14. JF Mezei

    Alan Browne Guest

    On 2012-05-24 17:30 , Helpful Harry wrote:
    > In article <4fbe81e0$0$1726$c3e8da3$>, JF Mezei
    > <> wrote:
    >> Warren Oates wrote:
    >>>
    >>> There's no reason a Canadian citizen can't be honoured by HM, unless the
    >>> prime-minister of the day is a spiteful uneducated little self-serving
    >>> small-minded Frenchie twit.

    >> Not quite like this. Tradition has it that when the Queen wishes to
    >> honour a foreign citizen, it goes via that country's prime minister.

    > Canada isn't a "foreign" country though. It's still part of the old
    > British Empire.

    Canada is independent of the British Empire and has been so since 1931.
    Complete independence (in the sense of a governing constitution) was
    attained belatedly in 1982 (prior to which legislation was rubber
    stamped in England).

    Canada is part of the Commonwealth as you mentioned.

    Alan Browne, May 24, 2012
  15. JF Mezei

    Patty Winter Guest

    In article <>,
    Alan Browne <> wrote:

    >Canada is independent of the British Empire and has been so since 1931.
    > Complete independence (in the sense of a governing constitution) was
    >attained belatedly in 1982 (prior to which legislation was rubber
    >stamped in England).
    >
    >Canada is part of the Commonwealth as you mentioned.

    But if you were completely independent of Britain as we are in the
    States, your head of government would also be your head of state,
    and you wouldn't have Queen Elizabeth's image on your money.

    Patty

    Patty Winter, May 24, 2012
  16. In article <>,
    Alan Browne <> wrote:

    > > Canada isn't a "foreign" country though. It's still part of the old
    > > British Empire.

    > Canada is independent of the British Empire and has been so since 1931.

    BTW, if it is the "British Empire", why is it ruled by a king or queen
    instead of by an Emperor or Empress?

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, May 24, 2012
  17. JF Mezei

    Warren Oates Guest

    In article <4fbeb066$0$87573$>,
    Patty Winter <> wrote:

    > But if you were completely independent of Britain as we are in the
    > States, your head of government would also be your head of state,

    That's just a different form of government. There are very few countries
    outside of the US that combine the head of government and the head of
    state into one office.

    > and you wouldn't have Queen Elizabeth's image on your money.

    The head of state is still the British monarch. It works out okay.
    --

    .... do not cover a warm kettle or your stock may sour. -- Julia Child

    Warren Oates, May 25, 2012
  18. JF Mezei

    Warren Oates Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > BTW, if it is the "British Empire", why is it ruled by a king or queen
    > instead of by an Emperor or Empress?

    The term "British Empire" was just a term alluding to British authority
    over most of the world. However, the monarch was referred to as the
    Emperor of India until, you know, Freedom at Midnight and all that. It
    said so on the coins: Dei Gra Rex Et Ind Imp - By God's Grace King and
    Emperor of India. The British coins added "and defender of the faith"
    which isn't applicable in Canada. I dunno about Australia.
    --

    .... do not cover a warm kettle or your stock may sour. -- Julia Child

    Warren Oates, May 25, 2012
  19. JF Mezei

    Warren Oates Guest

    In article <>,
    Alan Browne <> wrote:

    > (I'm not only no fan of Black, I'm outraged that he's on Canadian soil.
    > If you really put your citizenship below getting British peerage (an
    > ego trip), you don't deserve to be on this land - most esp. after a
    > criminal conviction in the US).

    No, look, Conrad Black is an asshole -- that's not in question.

    When he was awarded the peerage, he (Black) was resident in the UK; he
    was a British citizen and was awarded the honour by his government,
    which at the time was the government of the United Kingdom of England,
    Scotland, Ireland, and occasionally the Isle of Man. The government of
    Canada had no right at all in intervening in the social affairs of the
    United Kingdom. Chretien wasn't the best PM ever, but that was a low
    point. He showed himself to be a nasty little uneducated small-minded
    asshole from a shithole town in Quebec.

    I lived in England in the mid-eighties. I'm a citizen there. I had no
    intention at the time of living in Canada again. I could have become an
    industrialist, or a rock star or a footballer (well, maybe not a
    footballer) and been put on the honours list and gotten my K and -- oh
    oh, some nasty little foreign Frenchie read a nasty paper I wrote in
    1982 criticizing the Catholic church and the patrimoine des peuples
    Kaybaykwah and now he's digging into the past just to fucking spite me?

    Ignorant slack-mouthed little canayen pepsi asshole. Running the country
    like it's some banana republic. Say what you really think. Warren.
    --

    .... do not cover a warm kettle or your stock may sour. -- Julia Child

    Warren Oates, May 25, 2012
  20. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    Warren Oates wrote:

    > I'm no fan of Conrad Black, but his peerage was never ever going to come
    > from Chretien, because Canadian prime ministers don't put forward
    > Canadian citizens for those honours, and they haven't for years, and
    > they never will.

    This wasn't about Chrétien asking for Black to geet peerage. It was just
    the traditional process of the invitation to be transmitted via the
    prime minister. Black insisted that his invitation come directly from
    england because he didn't want to get the invitation via Chrétien.

    This wasn't about Chrétien blocking it. It was simply about process.

    By letting go of canadian citizenship, Chrétien was no longer in the
    loop since the invitation was no longer intended to be to one of his
    citizens.

    Personally, I don't think the PM should be involved, it should have been
    the governor general who passed on the queen's invitation.

    > Like I said, I'm no fan of Conrad Black, but the Little Asshole from
    > Shawinigan should have minded his own damned business.

    In the end, Chrétien purposefully rubbed Black the wrong way causing
    black to relinquish his canadian citizenship and get the hell out of
    canada for a long time.

    BTW, normally, people with criminal records are not allowed into the
    USA. Will be interesting to see if Black can travel back and forth on
    business without trouble.

    JF Mezei, May 25, 2012