[OT] -- Voice for Stroke Victims

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Tim Wescott, Jan 29, 2007.

  1. Tim Wescott

    Tim Wescott Guest

    This is totally off topic, but you're a smart bunch.

    My aunt recently had a major stroke. She's coming back to us, but it's
    affected her severely and she'll probably never regain her speech.

    My mother was visiting her the other day and noticed that she's quite
    good at handling a TV remote. This, plus the fact that my aunt seems to
    be fine at understanding people made her wonder if anyone makes a
    remote-sized thingie with a button to say "yes" and a button to say
    "no". Frankly, I think Aunt would vastly amused by a third button to
    say "You $#%@!".

    This seems like an obvious thing to have available, yet I cannot find
    anything. Has anyone run across such a beastie, or have any suggestions
    on search terms that might make Google or Yahoo cough up a pertinent web
    site?

    Thanks.

    --

    Tim Wescott
    Wescott Design Services

    Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/

    Tim Wescott, Jan 29, 2007

  2. Tim Wescott

    Robert Guest

    "Tim Wescott" <> wrote in message
    > This is totally off topic, but you're a smart bunch.
    >
    > My aunt recently had a major stroke. She's coming back to us, but it's
    > affected her severely and she'll probably never regain her speech.
    >
    > My mother was visiting her the other day and noticed that she's quite good
    > at handling a TV remote. This, plus the fact that my aunt seems to be
    > fine at understanding people made her wonder if anyone makes a
    > remote-sized thingie with a button to say "yes" and a button to say "no".
    > Frankly, I think Aunt would vastly amused by a third button to say "You
    > $#%@!".
    >
    > This seems like an obvious thing to have available, yet I cannot find
    > anything. Has anyone run across such a beastie, or have any suggestions
    > on search terms that might make Google or Yahoo cough up a pertinent web
    > site?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Tim,

    How about something as simple as a light backed panel with "NO", "YES", and
    "FSK OFF" that are selected by separate buttons?

    It would be easy to have the button activated box as a hand held. Or you can
    put several items up in a panel on a wall with a remote IR (or other tech)
    to activate them.

    Perhaps with a buzzer or tone that goes off at the same time to direct their
    attention to the panel.

    Robert
    Robert, Jan 29, 2007

  3. Tim Wescott

    Jerry Avins Guest

    Tim Wescott wrote:
    > This is totally off topic, but you're a smart bunch.
    >
    > My aunt recently had a major stroke. She's coming back to us, but it's
    > affected her severely and she'll probably never regain her speech.
    >
    > My mother was visiting her the other day and noticed that she's quite
    > good at handling a TV remote. This, plus the fact that my aunt seems to
    > be fine at understanding people made her wonder if anyone makes a
    > remote-sized thingie with a button to say "yes" and a button to say
    > "no". Frankly, I think Aunt would vastly amused by a third button to
    > say "You $#%@!".
    >
    > This seems like an obvious thing to have available, yet I cannot find
    > anything. Has anyone run across such a beastie, or have any suggestions
    > on search terms that might make Google or Yahoo cough up a pertinent web
    > site?

    We are not only a smart bunch, but a capable one. Assuming you find
    nothing, let's make something. The first pass doesn't need to be
    remotely operated. A small box, a few AAA cells, three pushbuttons with
    LED readout and a plug for an optional panel above and behind her.
    Later, the panel becomes a vocoder chip with a few well chosen words and
    phrases. When that works, *then* think about an IR interface. I'd likely
    demean you by offering design help, but I'm game if you need it.

    Jerry
    Jerry Avins, Jan 29, 2007
  4. Tim Wescott

    Donald Guest

    Jerry Avins wrote:
    > Tim Wescott wrote:
    >
    >> This is totally off topic, but you're a smart bunch.
    >>
    >> My aunt recently had a major stroke. She's coming back to us, but
    >> it's affected her severely and she'll probably never regain her speech.
    >>
    >> My mother was visiting her the other day and noticed that she's quite
    >> good at handling a TV remote. This, plus the fact that my aunt seems
    >> to be fine at understanding people made her wonder if anyone makes a
    >> remote-sized thingie with a button to say "yes" and a button to say
    >> "no". Frankly, I think Aunt would vastly amused by a third button to
    >> say "You $#%@!".
    >>
    >> This seems like an obvious thing to have available, yet I cannot find
    >> anything. Has anyone run across such a beastie, or have any
    >> suggestions on search terms that might make Google or Yahoo cough up a
    >> pertinent web site?

    > We are not only a smart bunch, but a capable one. Assuming you find
    > nothing, let's make something. The first pass doesn't need to be
    > remotely operated. A small box, a few AAA cells, three pushbuttons with
    > LED readout and a plug for an optional panel above and behind her.
    > Later, the panel becomes a vocoder chip with a few well chosen words and
    > phrases. When that works, *then* think about an IR interface. I'd likely
    > demean you by offering design help, but I'm game if you need it.
    >
    > Jerry

    How about those Scrolling LED Badges.

    The ones I have purchased in the past had PIC processors in them.

    Reprogramming one with an IR detector so that it can display
    a) pre-programmed messages, b) chars from a IR keyboard.

    donald
    Donald, Jan 29, 2007
  5. Tim Wescott

    Winston Guest

    Tim Wescott wrote:
    > This is totally off topic, but you're a smart bunch.
    >
    > My aunt recently had a major stroke. She's coming back to us, but it's
    > affected her severely and she'll probably never regain her speech.
    >
    > My mother was visiting her the other day and noticed that she's quite
    > good at handling a TV remote. This, plus the fact that my aunt seems to
    > be fine at understanding people made her wonder if anyone makes a
    > remote-sized thingie with a button to say "yes" and a button to say
    > "no". Frankly, I think Aunt would vastly amused by a third button to
    > say "You $#%@!".
    >
    > This seems like an obvious thing to have available, yet I cannot find
    > anything. Has anyone run across such a beastie, or have any suggestions
    > on search terms that might make Google or Yahoo cough up a pertinent web
    > site?

    Until that box is made available, try this on your XP notebook:
    Start > Control Panel > Speech > Text to Speech tab >
    Type something into the Preview Speech box and click 'Preview Voice'

    It is cool.

    --Winston
    Winston, Jan 29, 2007
  6. Tim Wescott

    JeffM Guest

    Re: -- Voice for Stroke Victims

    Tim Wescott wrote:
    >My aunt recently had a major stroke
    >[...]she'll probably never regain her speech.
    >[...]she's quite good at handling a TV remote.
    >[...]made her wonder if anyone makes a remote-sized thingie
    >with a button to say "yes" and a button to say "no".

    To get more than one on-demand audio response
    http://froogle.google.com/froogle?
    scoring=p&price=between&price1=1&q=record.messages.that.require.users.t
    o.make.choices.*.*

    is a lot more expensive than a general-purpose item
    http://froogle.google.com/froogle?
    scoring=p&price=between&price1=1&q=Digital-Voice-Recorder

    but perhaps *more than 1* of the cheapies...
    http://froogle.google.com/froogle?
    scoring=p&price=between&price1=1&q=Message-Recorder
    http://froogle.google.com/froogle?
    scoring=p&price=between&price1=1&q=Record.messages.for.friends
    JeffM, Jan 29, 2007
  7. Tim Wescott

    Winston Guest

    Winston wrote:
    > Tim Wescott wrote:
    >
    >> This is totally off topic, but you're a smart bunch.
    >>
    >> My aunt recently had a major stroke. She's coming back to us, but
    >> it's affected her severely and she'll probably never regain her speech.
    >>
    >> My mother was visiting her the other day and noticed that she's quite
    >> good at handling a TV remote. This, plus the fact that my aunt seems
    >> to be fine at understanding people made her wonder if anyone makes a
    >> remote-sized thingie with a button to say "yes" and a button to say
    >> "no". Frankly, I think Aunt would vastly amused by a third button to
    >> say "You $#%@!".
    >>
    >> This seems like an obvious thing to have available, yet I cannot find
    >> anything. Has anyone run across such a beastie, or have any
    >> suggestions on search terms that might make Google or Yahoo cough up a
    >> pertinent web site?

    > Until that box is made available, try this on your XP notebook:
    > Start > Control Panel > Speech > Text to Speech tab >
    > Type something into the Preview Speech box and click 'Preview Voice'
    >
    > It is cool.
    >
    > --Winston

    And:
    http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php
    Somewhat cooler.

    --Winston
    Winston, Jan 29, 2007
  8. On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 20:31:37 -0800, the renowned Tim Wescott
    <> wrote:

    >This is totally off topic, but you're a smart bunch.
    >
    >My aunt recently had a major stroke. She's coming back to us, but it's
    >affected her severely and she'll probably never regain her speech.
    >
    >My mother was visiting her the other day and noticed that she's quite
    >good at handling a TV remote. This, plus the fact that my aunt seems to
    >be fine at understanding people made her wonder if anyone makes a
    >remote-sized thingie with a button to say "yes" and a button to say
    >"no". Frankly, I think Aunt would vastly amused by a third button to
    >say "You $#%@!".
    >
    >This seems like an obvious thing to have available, yet I cannot find
    >anything. Has anyone run across such a beastie, or have any suggestions
    >on search terms that might make Google or Yahoo cough up a pertinent web
    >site?
    >
    >Thanks.

    Yes, Tim there is a fair range of such devices for suitable for people
    who suffer from aphasia. Costs are a bit silly high, but usually it's
    covered by some kind of insurance or another. Suggest you ask the PT
    for recommendations.

    Here's what looks like an exhaustive list if you want to investigate
    further yourself:

    http://www.cigna.com/customer_care/...ositioncriteria_speech_generating_devices.pdf

    Best regards,
    Spehro Pefhany
    Spehro Pefhany, Jan 29, 2007
  9. On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 20:31:37 -0800, Tim Wescott <>
    wrote:

    >My mother was visiting her the other day and noticed that she's quite
    >good at handling a TV remote. This, plus the fact that my aunt seems to
    >be fine at understanding people made her wonder if anyone makes a
    >remote-sized thingie with a button to say "yes" and a button to say
    >"no". Frankly, I think Aunt would vastly amused by a third button to
    >say "You $#%@!".

    http://www.aacconnections.com/html/text_to_speech_devices.htm
    http://www.ace-centre.org.uk/vocapages/detail.asp?selectvoca=Spok21

    Mit freundlichen Grüßen

    Frank-Christian Krügel
    Frank-Christian Kruegel, Jan 29, 2007
  10. Tim Wescott

    Tom Lucas Guest

    > This is totally off topic, but you're a smart bunch.
    >
    > My aunt recently had a major stroke. She's coming back to us, but
    > it's affected her severely and she'll probably never regain her
    > speech.
    >
    > My mother was visiting her the other day and noticed that she's quite
    > good at handling a TV remote. This, plus the fact that my aunt seems
    > to be fine at understanding people made her wonder if anyone makes a
    > remote-sized thingie with a button to say "yes" and a button to say
    > "no". Frankly, I think Aunt would vastly amused by a third button to
    > say "You $#%@!".
    >
    > This seems like an obvious thing to have available, yet I cannot find
    > anything. Has anyone run across such a beastie, or have any
    > suggestions on search terms that might make Google or Yahoo cough up a
    > pertinent web site?

    One would think there would be quite a market for such a device, perhaps
    with ten different buttons, for areas other than disability support. For
    a start, when in a foreign land then you could get a lot done with 10
    basic phrases.
    Tom Lucas, Jan 29, 2007
  11. On a sunny day (Sun, 28 Jan 2007 20:31:37 -0800) it happened Tim Wescott
    <> wrote in
    <>:

    >This is totally off topic, but you're a smart bunch.
    >
    >My aunt recently had a major stroke. She's coming back to us, but it's
    >affected her severely and she'll probably never regain her speech.
    >
    >My mother was visiting her the other day and noticed that she's quite
    >good at handling a TV remote. This, plus the fact that my aunt seems to
    >be fine at understanding people made her wonder if anyone makes a
    >remote-sized thingie with a button to say "yes" and a button to say
    >"no". Frankly, I think Aunt would vastly amused by a third button to
    >say "You $#%@!".
    >
    >This seems like an obvious thing to have available, yet I cannot find
    >anything. Has anyone run across such a beastie, or have any suggestions
    >on search terms that might make Google or Yahoo cough up a pertinent web
    >site?
    >
    >Thanks.

    Tim, connecting a keyboard to a voice synthesizer, I have done that,
    it will need a PC, but wireless keyboard perhaps?
    Here is the free voice synthesizer I use:
    http://tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis/mbrola.html
    http://tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis/mbrdico/
    Jan Panteltje, Jan 29, 2007
  12. Tim Wescott

    amdx Guest

    "Winston" <> wrote in message
    > Winston wrote:
    >> Tim Wescott wrote:
    >>
    >>> This is totally off topic, but you're a smart bunch.
    >>>
    >>> My aunt recently had a major stroke. She's coming back to us, but it's
    >>> affected her severely and she'll probably never regain her speech.
    >>>
    >>> My mother was visiting her the other day and noticed that she's quite
    >>> good at handling a TV remote. This, plus the fact that my aunt seems to
    >>> be fine at understanding people made her wonder if anyone makes a
    >>> remote-sized thingie with a button to say "yes" and a button to say
    >>> "no". Frankly, I think Aunt would vastly amused by a third button to
    >>> say "You $#%@!".
    >>>
    >>> This seems like an obvious thing to have available, yet I cannot find
    >>> anything. Has anyone run across such a beastie, or have any suggestions
    >>> on search terms that might make Google or Yahoo cough up a pertinent web
    >>> site?

    >> Until that box is made available, try this on your XP notebook:
    >> Start > Control Panel > Speech > Text to Speech tab >
    >> Type something into the Preview Speech box and click 'Preview Voice'
    >>
    >> It is cool.
    >>
    >> --Winston

    > And:
    > http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php
    > Somewhat cooler.
    >
    > --Winston

    I am impressed with the voice quality at this site, the voices
    don't have that computer voice sound. And that Lauren, ooh! you shouldn't
    hear the things she said to me. ;-)
    Mike
    amdx, Jan 29, 2007
  13. On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 06:13:32 -0600, the renowned "amdx"
    <> wrote:

    >"Winston" <> wrote in message
    >> Winston wrote:

    >>> Until that box is made available, try this on your XP notebook:
    >>> Start > Control Panel > Speech > Text to Speech tab >
    >>> Type something into the Preview Speech box and click 'Preview Voice'
    >>>
    >>> It is cool.
    >>>
    >>> --Winston

    >> And:
    >> http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php
    >> Somewhat cooler.
    >>
    >> --Winston

    > I am impressed with the voice quality at this site, the voices
    >don't have that computer voice sound. And that Lauren, ooh! you shouldn't
    >hear the things she said to me. ;-)
    > Mike

    Audrey is nice too.

    Best regards,
    Spehro Pefhany
    Spehro Pefhany, Jan 29, 2007
  14. Tim Wescott

    Jim Thompson Guest

    wrote:

    >This is totally off topic, but you're a smart bunch.
    >
    >My aunt recently had a major stroke. She's coming back to us, but it's
    >affected her severely and she'll probably never regain her speech.
    >
    >My mother was visiting her the other day and noticed that she's quite
    >good at handling a TV remote. This, plus the fact that my aunt seems to
    >be fine at understanding people made her wonder if anyone makes a
    >remote-sized thingie with a button to say "yes" and a button to say
    >"no". Frankly, I think Aunt would vastly amused by a third button to
    >say "You $#%@!".
    >
    >This seems like an obvious thing to have available, yet I cannot find
    >anything. Has anyone run across such a beastie, or have any suggestions
    >on search terms that might make Google or Yahoo cough up a pertinent web
    >site?
    >
    >Thanks.

    My autistic grandson has a box with picture "buttons"... touch screen
    that "pages", so there's lots of word capability... touch a "button"
    and it talks.

    I'll inquire as to manufacturer.

    ...Jim Thompson
    --
    | James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
    | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

    Jim Thompson, Jan 29, 2007
  15. Tim Wescott

    MK Guest

    > This is totally off topic, but you're a smart bunch.
    >
    > My aunt recently had a major stroke. She's coming back to us, but it's
    > affected her severely and she'll probably never regain her speech.
    >
    > My mother was visiting her the other day and noticed that she's quite good
    > at handling a TV remote. This, plus the fact that my aunt seems to be
    > fine at understanding people made her wonder if anyone makes a
    > remote-sized thingie with a button to say "yes" and a button to say "no".
    > Frankly, I think Aunt would vastly amused by a third button to say "You
    > $#%@!".
    >
    > This seems like an obvious thing to have available, yet I cannot find
    > anything. Has anyone run across such a beastie, or have any suggestions
    > on search terms that might make Google or Yahoo cough up a pertinent web
    > site?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Tim Wescott
    > Wescott Design Services
    > http://www.wescottdesign.com
    >
    > Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/
    >
    > "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" came out in April.
    > See details at http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html

    Hello Tim,

    Sorry about your Aunt.

    My wife is a speech therapist and she specialises in stroke victims (to an
    extent). The reasons why people lose speech are complex and you really need
    to get a professional involved to help select the best of many devices
    available.
    Because of the cash strapped operation of the NHS I often get asked for
    unofficial help in fixing broken aids.

    Your local NHS should be able to help but they may well not have any money
    to actually buy aids - which is where you can do your bit.

    One of the more popular complex aids (the speech box used by Hawkings) is
    made by Toby Churchill Ltd in Cambridge. Toby Churchill is himslef disabled
    which is how he got involved.

    Michael Kellett
    MK, Jan 29, 2007
  16. Tim Wescott wrote:
    >My aunt recently had a major stroke. She's coming back to us, but it's
    >affected her severely and she'll probably never regain her speech.
    >... wonder if anyone makes a
    >remote-sized thingie with a button to say "yes" and a button to say
    >"no". ...
    >This seems like an obvious thing to have available, yet I cannot find
    >anything.

    Not exactly what you are asking for, but I believe it will do -
    Digital Voice Recorders, like these:

    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony...45822/catOid/-13173/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Olym...61365/catOid/-13173/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

    I have an older model, it could be programmed with up to 99 different
    "files" in three folders.
    With some thinking could be configured in such a way that it will not
    require more than 2 or 3 keys presses to access about a dozen simple
    messages.
    (One key to select a folder, 1 to 3 to skip forward/backward to
    selected message)

    Hope this helps,

    Roberto Waltman

    [ Please reply to the group,
    return address is invalid ]
    Roberto Waltman, Jan 29, 2007
  17. Tim Wescott

    Tim Wescott Guest

    Spehro Pefhany wrote:

    > On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 20:31:37 -0800, the renowned Tim Wescott
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>This is totally off topic, but you're a smart bunch.
    >>
    >>My aunt recently had a major stroke. She's coming back to us, but it's
    >>affected her severely and she'll probably never regain her speech.
    >>
    >>My mother was visiting her the other day and noticed that she's quite
    >>good at handling a TV remote. This, plus the fact that my aunt seems to
    >>be fine at understanding people made her wonder if anyone makes a
    >>remote-sized thingie with a button to say "yes" and a button to say
    >>"no". Frankly, I think Aunt would vastly amused by a third button to
    >>say "You $#%@!".
    >>
    >>This seems like an obvious thing to have available, yet I cannot find
    >>anything. Has anyone run across such a beastie, or have any suggestions
    >>on search terms that might make Google or Yahoo cough up a pertinent web
    >>site?
    >>
    >>Thanks.

    > Yes, Tim there is a fair range of such devices for suitable for people
    > who suffer from aphasia. Costs are a bit silly high, but usually it's
    > covered by some kind of insurance or another. Suggest you ask the PT
    > for recommendations.
    >
    > Here's what looks like an exhaustive list if you want to investigate
    > further yourself:
    >
    > http://www.cigna.com/customer_care/...ositioncriteria_speech_generating_devices.pdf

    Thank you Sphero -- this is just what I was looking for.

    Ultimately we'll want to go to the PT for help, but she's covered under
    Kaiser -- sometimes those folks need to be prodded to do the right thing.

    Tim Wescott, Jan 29, 2007
  18. Tim Wescott

    Tim Wescott Guest

    Jerry Avins wrote:

    > Tim Wescott wrote:
    >
    >> This is totally off topic, but you're a smart bunch.
    >>
    >> My aunt recently had a major stroke. She's coming back to us, but
    >> it's affected her severely and she'll probably never regain her speech.
    >>
    >> My mother was visiting her the other day and noticed that she's quite
    >> good at handling a TV remote. This, plus the fact that my aunt seems
    >> to be fine at understanding people made her wonder if anyone makes a
    >> remote-sized thingie with a button to say "yes" and a button to say
    >> "no". Frankly, I think Aunt would vastly amused by a third button to
    >> say "You $#%@!".
    >>
    >> This seems like an obvious thing to have available, yet I cannot find
    >> anything. Has anyone run across such a beastie, or have any
    >> suggestions on search terms that might make Google or Yahoo cough up a
    >> pertinent web site?

    > We are not only a smart bunch, but a capable one. Assuming you find
    > nothing, let's make something. The first pass doesn't need to be
    > remotely operated. A small box, a few AAA cells, three pushbuttons with
    > LED readout and a plug for an optional panel above and behind her.
    > Later, the panel becomes a vocoder chip with a few well chosen words and
    > phrases. When that works, *then* think about an IR interface. I'd likely
    > demean you by offering design help, but I'm game if you need it.

    Jerry, you wouldn't demean me at all by offering design help. I'm good,
    but I have every reason to believe that there are things that you do
    better than me. At any rate I think Sphero's list should have something
    suitable on it, so hopefully the only 'designing' will be in finding
    where to buy the right one.

    Tim Wescott, Jan 29, 2007
  19. Tim Wescott

    Tim Williams Guest

    Go take a vacation to Britain. While there, swipe Steven Hawking's speech
    computer...

    ....Or just buy a suitable unit. No idea what the cost is, though!

    Tim

    --
    Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.

    Tim Williams, Jan 29, 2007
  20. Tim Wescott

    Tim Wescott Guest

    Tim Williams wrote:
    (top posting fixed)
    > "Tim Wescott" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>This is totally off topic, but you're a smart bunch.
    >>
    >>My aunt recently had a major stroke. She's coming back to us, but it's
    >>affected her severely and she'll probably never regain her speech.
    >>
    >>My mother was visiting her the other day and noticed that she's quite
    >>good at handling a TV remote. This, plus the fact that my aunt seems to
    >>be fine at understanding people made her wonder if anyone makes a
    >>remote-sized thingie with a button to say "yes" and a button to say
    >>"no". Frankly, I think Aunt would vastly amused by a third button to
    >>say "You $#%@!".
    >>
    >>This seems like an obvious thing to have available, yet I cannot find
    >>anything. Has anyone run across such a beastie, or have any suggestions
    >>on search terms that might make Google or Yahoo cough up a pertinent web
    >>site?
    >>
    >>Thanks.

    > Go take a vacation to Britain. While there, swipe Steven Hawking's speech
    > computer...
    >
    > ...Or just buy a suitable unit. No idea what the cost is, though!
    >
    > Tim
    >
    > --
    > Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
    > Website: http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms

    She wouldn't have been able to handle _that_ back her brain was
    undamaged. A two-button solution would be more her speed for a start.

    Tim Wescott, Jan 29, 2007