    Anybody know where to find the diagram for APC's RBC33 battery pack?
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Jun 5, 2006

  2. (PeteCresswell)

    Mistoffolees Guest

    (PeteCresswell) wrote:

    > Stupidly, I pulled the two batteries apart without noting the connections -
    > unaware that I could purchase batteries separately and re-use the wires.
    >
    > Anybody know where to find the diagram for APC's RBC33 battery pack?

    It should be possible to download the manual from APC's website
    at http://www.apcc.com/.
    Mistoffolees, Jun 6, 2006

  3. Per Mistoffolees:
    >It should be possible to download the manual from APC's website
    >at http://www.apcc.com/.

    That was my first thought - but I haven't been able to find it yet.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Jun 6, 2006
  4. "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote in message
    > Per Mistoffolees:
    >>It should be possible to download the manual from APC's website
    >>at http://www.apcc.com/.

    > That was my first thought - but I haven't been able to find it yet.

    The manual for my two APC units, does not show the internal battery
    wiring, _but_ when you undo the cover, and hinge it out of the way, etched
    into the metal plate, is a small wiring diagram. Look very carefully
    around the parts that open to let you reach the batteries. Your unit may
    have a diagram here.

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett, Jun 6, 2006
  6. (PeteCresswell)

    Wayne Guest

    In article <>, lid says...

    >Stupidly, I pulled the two batteries apart without noting the connections -
    >unaware that I could purchase batteries separately and re-use the wires.
    >
    >Anybody know where to find the diagram for APC's RBC33 battery pack?

    Try here for the manual:
    http://www.apc.com/tools/mytools/index.cfm?action=search&category=user

    My APC SU700NET UPS has two 12V batteries in series for 24V operation.

    Red wire to Positive of one, Black wire to Negative of the other, plus a
    short jumper wire connecting the remaining two pins.
    Wayne, Jun 6, 2006
  7. On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 15:22:56 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <>
    wrote:

    >Stupidly, I pulled the two batteries apart without noting the connections -
    >unaware that I could purchase batteries separately and re-use the wires.
    >
    >Anybody know where to find the diagram for APC's RBC33 battery pack?

    Pete,

    Based on the cells in my units....
    If the question is just how the two batteries are connected to each
    other, they are in series, not parallel. ie, each cell produces 6 v so
    wire the two so that the pair produces 12 v, the (-) terminal of the
    first cell to the (-) connection in the unit, the (+) terminal of the
    first cell to the (-) terminal of the second, and the (+) terminal of
    the second cell to the (+) connection in the unit.

    You should be able to see if yours are the same based on the lettering
    on the cells. If they are 6 v cells, then the above should apply.
    Charlie Hoffpauir
    Message board:
    http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=rw&p=surnames.hoffpauir
    Mail list:
    http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/surname/h/hoffpauir.html
    DNA project:
    <http://www.familytreedna.com/(153dme45ewxtrs45rzxk5z2x)/public/Hoffpauir/index.aspx>
    Charlie Hoffpauir, Jun 6, 2006
  8. Batteries should NEVER be wired directly in parallel, so they must be in
    series, e.g. positive to negative. Although I've seen stupid examples
    of parallel batteries in small consumer devices, USP' are high-powered
    applications and would never be designed that way.

    [Any two batteries will never have EXACTLY the same voltage, so if you
    have two batteries, one might be 6.127 volts and the other 6.125 volts.
    If they are wired in parallel, the voltage difference, however small,
    will cause current to flow between the two batteries, which is highly
    detrimental to everything and which can in some cases be large enough to
    cause catastrophic, potentially explosive battery destruction.]

    Barry Watzman, Jun 6, 2006
  9. Per Barry Watzman:
    > If they are wired in parallel, the voltage difference, however small,
    >will cause current to flow between the two batteries, which is highly
    >detrimental to everything and which can in some cases be large enough to
    >cause catastrophic, potentially explosive battery destruction.]

    I guess that answers my unspoken question: Whether the UPS looks at 12 or 24v.

    It also matches up with the wires I have laying on the floor: 3 wires.... one
    jumper and two to the UPS.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Jun 6, 2006
  10. (PeteCresswell)

    RobBob

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Texas
    Care to elaborate on that?

    Batteries are often wired parallel to each other, particularly in backup situations. Case in point, the BR1500 UPS from APC has a power receptacle for a supplemental 24V battery pack BR24BP. It is not wired in series (1st battery wouldn't work alone otherwise). Additionally, APC offers some server UPS solutions that can take up to 10 extra battery packs, all daisy chained together. These are also in parallel.

    My understanding is that as long as the batteries are matched at the nominal value, the rectifier circuit neuters any stray currents due to small potential differences across the cells' anodes and cathodes.

    Please let me know where I'm wrong...
    RobBob, Dec 30, 2007
  11. (PeteCresswell)

    zeyyxe

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    I went to APC.com for my answer

    I was so confused after reading this string, I went to APC.com and used "live chat" to get find out how to hook batteries up for an APC SU1000NET. The first person escalated me up to a technician that told me the jumper with the fuse goes in series from negative to positive, with the connectors that run back in the unit going negative to negative and positive to positive.
    zeyyxe, Jun 22, 2010
  12. (PeteCresswell)

    Carl Wagner

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Sorry but I think I need to raise the BS flag.

    I have a APC Smart-UPS 3000. It has 8 batteries, in 2 groups of 4.
    Of each group of 4, it has 2 batteries in series and the sets are parallel.
    Output of each group is 24VDC

    The groups of 4 are in series to produce nominal 48VDC.
    (this surprised me as I thought all APC UPS's used 24VDC, but I am used to consumer grade UPSes).

    This is not some cheap consumer UPS. And it comes from the factory with 8 batteries.

    Yes the batteries may not have the same voltage. So what? Nominal voltage for a fully charged 12 VDC battery is a little greater than 12 VDC. For a car battery, with the car running (assuming everything is working correctly), the voltage will be around 14.2. Gel cells like in an APC UPS run a little less voltage while charging. So the battery that started with a lower voltage will charge at a higher current rate than the higher voltage one until it has reached its storage capacity. NOTE I am not saying you can mix different voltage batteries like put a 6V in parallel with a 12V.

    A telephone central office will have tens if not hundreds of batteries in parallel.

    If you had two 12VDC batteries in parallel, not on a charger, one that was half discharged and one fully charged, you would charge the partially discharged one from the fully charged one until they reach equilibration (if they have the same capacity, both would end up with about a 75% charge).

    Just do a Google search on parallel batteries.

    But none of this matters, as the UPS in question uses series batteries.

    Carl.

    Carl Wagner, Sep 3, 2010