    its 2D quality is less than my Matrox G400Max. Any suggestions? I'm
    considering the Parhelia but it's a little out of my price range,
    although I'm checking on ebay for a better than retail price. Thanks.
    nubis, Jul 31, 2004

  2. nubis

    Rick Guest

    "nubis" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I was going to buy an ATI 9800Pro for its excellent 3D capabilities,
    > but am having second thoughts given a number of people have reported
    > its 2D quality is less than my Matrox G400Max. Any suggestions? I'm
    > considering the Parhelia but it's a little out of my price range,
    > although I'm checking on ebay for a better than retail price. Thanks.

    If you run at resolutions below 1600x1200 I wouldn't let 2D
    display quality stop me from upgrading. Chances are you
    won't see much (or quite possibly any) difference at these
    lower resolutions.

    Rick
    Rick, Aug 1, 2004

  3. nubis

    Tod Guest

    I'm really happy with the 2D of my ATI 9600 PRO AIW
    I still use my G400 in an older Win98SE system.
    The G400 is about 10% better at 2D then my old Sapphire ATI 9100
    I did notice that my ATI 9600 has a little bit better 2D then my old
    Sapphire ATI 9100.
    So you should be happy with a newer ATI card.

    Tod, Aug 1, 2004
  4. nubis

    skorpion Guest

    nubis wrote:
    > I was going to buy an ATI 9800Pro for its excellent 3D capabilities,
    > but am having second thoughts given a number of people have reported
    > its 2D quality is less than my Matrox G400Max. Any suggestions? I'm
    > considering the Parhelia but it's a little out of my price range,
    > although I'm checking on ebay for a better than retail price. Thanks.

    Hi

    I don't think it's very reasonable to compare graphics processor (9800
    Pro) with a whole graphics card (Matrox). Output signal quality depends
    on a whole card.

    I've read some Sapphire models are good, but I wonder myself.

    It's nasty to discuss this subject in the Matrox group, isn't it ;)
    skorpion, Aug 1, 2004
  5. nubis

    Doug Ramage Guest

    "nubis" <> wrote in message
    > I was going to buy an ATI 9800Pro for its excellent 3D capabilities,
    > but am having second thoughts given a number of people have reported
    > its 2D quality is less than my Matrox G400Max. Any suggestions? I'm
    > considering the Parhelia but it's a little out of my price range,
    > although I'm checking on ebay for a better than retail price. Thanks.

    Same here. I bought a 9800 Pro and sold it last week.

    I am using a G550, but will probably go for a P650. The P750 and Parhelia
    look like over-kill for my requirements.
    --
    Doug Ramage

    [watch spam trap]
    Doug Ramage, Aug 1, 2004
  6. nubis

    J. Clarke Guest

    skorpion wrote:

    > nubis wrote:
    >> I was going to buy an ATI 9800Pro for its excellent 3D capabilities,
    >> but am having second thoughts given a number of people have reported
    >> its 2D quality is less than my Matrox G400Max. Any suggestions? I'm
    >> considering the Parhelia but it's a little out of my price range,
    >> although I'm checking on ebay for a better than retail price. Thanks.

    > Hi
    >
    > I don't think it's very reasonable to compare graphics processor (9800
    > Pro) with a whole graphics card (Matrox).

    Who makes a graphics processor called the "9800 Pro"? The graphics
    processor used on the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro board is the R350 or R360
    depending on how new the board is.

    > Output signal quality depends
    > on a whole card.
    >
    > I've read some Sapphire models are good, but I wonder myself.
    >
    > It's nasty to discuss this subject in the Matrox group, isn't it ;)

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
    J. Clarke, Aug 1, 2004
  7. nubis

    skorpion Guest

    J. Clarke wrote:
    > Who makes a graphics processor called the "9800 Pro"? The graphics
    > processor used on the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro board is the R350 or R360
    > depending on how new the board is.

    Please note I've cancelled that message!
    skorpion, Aug 1, 2004
  8. nubis

    Arthur Hagen Guest

    skorpion <> wrote:
    > J. Clarke wrote:
    >> Who makes a graphics processor called the "9800 Pro"? The graphics
    >> processor used on the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro board is the R350 or R360
    >> depending on how new the board is.

    > Please note I've cancelled that message!

    Many, if not most, news servers do not honour regular cancel messages in
    unmoderated newsgroups anymore -- they're too easy to forge and abuse by
    kiddies cancelling people's posts just for "fun" or spite.
    It may not show up anymore on your news server, but that doesn't mean that
    it won't show up on near every other news server in the world.

    --
    *Art
    Arthur Hagen, Aug 1, 2004
  9. nubis

    skorpion Guest

    Arthur Hagen wrote:
    >>Please note I've cancelled that message!

    > Many, if not most, news servers do not honour regular cancel messages in

    Really? I've read it's never been effective anyway, but thanks :)

    > unmoderated newsgroups anymore -- they're too easy to forge and abuse by
    > kiddies cancelling people's posts just for "fun" or spite.

    How can they do that? Isn't it necessary to cancel through the same
    server and client IP?

    Anyway my message wasn't _that_ bad (or was it). It doesn't really
    matter what is the processor's name. The point is some people just don't
    care about the quality of the board they get. But probably not on this
    group. And there are different manufacturers of '9800 Pro' boards.

    Cheers!
    skorpion, Aug 1, 2004
  10. nubis

    J. Clarke Guest

    skorpion wrote:

    > Arthur Hagen wrote:
    >>>Please note I've cancelled that message!

    >> Many, if not most, news servers do not honour regular cancel messages in

    > Really? I've read it's never been effective anyway, but thanks :)
    >
    >> unmoderated newsgroups anymore -- they're too easy to forge and abuse by
    >> kiddies cancelling people's posts just for "fun" or spite.

    > How can they do that? Isn't it necessary to cancel through the same
    > server and client IP?

    USENET isn't kept on a single server or maintained by any centralized
    authority. While the server to which you post might be able to distinguish
    you from someone else forging your headers, no other server can do that.

    J. Clarke, Aug 1, 2004
  11. nubis

    Arthur Hagen Guest

    skorpion <> wrote:
    > Arthur Hagen wrote:
    >
    >> unmoderated newsgroups anymore -- they're too easy to forge and
    >> abuse by kiddies cancelling people's posts just for "fun" or spite.

    > How can they do that? Isn't it necessary to cancel through the same
    > server and client IP?

    Nope. From the inn.conf(5) manual (inn is the most common news server
    software out there):

    verifycancels
    Set this to true to enable a simplistic check on all
    cancel messages, attempting to verify (by simple
    header comparison) that the cancel message is from the
    same person as the original post. This can't be done
    if the cancel arrives before the article does, and is
    extremely easy to spoof. While this check may once
    have served a purpose, it's now essentially security
    via obscurity, commonly avoided by abusers, and probaƂ
    bly not useful. This is a boolean value, and the
    default is false.

    > Anyway my message wasn't _that_ bad (or was it).

    Not at all -- just wanted to make you aware that sending a cancel isn't as
    useful as one might think.

    Regards,
    --
    *Art
    Arthur Hagen, Aug 1, 2004
  12. nubis

    Jon Rodman Guest

    Hi Doug,
    If you don't mind my asking, what is the difference between the G550 and the
    G650?

    I am getting ready to move up from a G400 but don't know which one to go
    for.

    I have one PC with two monitors. One is a 24" Sun Microsystems, and the
    other is a 19" Envision. I mainly use them for Photoshop and surfing.
    Jon

    Jon Rodman, Aug 3, 2004
  13. nubis

    Doug Ramage Guest

    Not that much, judging from previous posts.

    Have a look at the earlier thread " G550 or P650 in a new PC? Please help
    me decide."

    --
    Doug Ramage

    [watch spam trap]

    Doug Ramage, Aug 3, 2004
  14. nubis

    Fleabus Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 21:49:53 GMT, nubis <> wrote:

    >I was going to buy an ATI 9800Pro for its excellent 3D capabilities,
    >but am having second thoughts given a number of people have reported
    >its 2D quality is less than my Matrox G400Max. Any suggestions? I'm
    >considering the Parhelia but it's a little out of my price range,
    >although I'm checking on ebay for a better than retail price. Thanks.

    Hi:
    I was a long-time Matrox user. I began with the original PCI
    Mystique through the G200, G400Max and Parhelia128.
    The G400Max and was used with A ViewSonic 21" P817 sm as Primary.
    I used this monitor also as Primary with the Parhelia and a 21"
    ViewSonic P225f ag on Secondary.
    I then changed to an ATI Radeon 9700Pro using the same monitors.
    I have now swapped out the P817 for a 21.3" Samsung SyncMaster
    213T TFT as Primary, the P225f as Secondary and run them with an ATI
    Radeon 9800XT.

    These monitors have only been run at 1600x1200 85Hz on all these
    cards (except the TFT which is 1600x1200 60Hz native DVI).

    I was always a well satisfied Matrox user and switched to ATI for
    gaming reasons.
    My eyes see no difference in 2D quality between Matrox and ATI.

    Happy trails,
    Fleabus, Aug 6, 2004