    Paul
    le singe est dans l'arbre
    http://www.paulwatt.info

    Paul Watt, Oct 13, 2006

  2. Paul Watt

    Paul Watt Guest

    "Paul Watt" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    > I've got a athlon2100 xp and I was wondering whether to track down a
    > 3000XP+ or overclock my 2100? I've got 900mb of ram so memorys not a
    > problem. I've just ordered a 600 W psu as my old one is starting to wobble
    > a bit (so much i've had to underclock my cpu!). Money is a BIG factor, so
    > any ideas?

    Forgot to metion that I've got a MSI k75a mobo that will only handle a
    3000xp+ chip

    --
    Cheers

    Paul
    le singe est dans l'arbre
    http://www.paulwatt.info

    Paul Watt, Oct 13, 2006

  3. Paul Watt

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 17:00:21 +0100, Paul Watt wrote:

    > "Paul Watt" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I've got a athlon2100 xp and I was wondering whether to track down a
    >> 3000XP+ or overclock my 2100? I've got 900mb of ram so memorys not a
    >> problem. I've just ordered a 600 W psu as my old one is starting to wobble
    >> a bit (so much i've had to underclock my cpu!). Money is a BIG factor, so
    >> any ideas?
    >>

    > Forgot to metion that I've got a MSI k75a mobo that will only handle a
    > 3000xp+ chip

    Socket A has been discontinuedd for some time. CPu prices for them are now
    higher than newer much faster cpu's. Don't waste any more money on it. if
    you need something faster, either overclock or buy newer MB/cpu.

    Wes Newell, Oct 13, 2006
  4. Paul Watt

    Bill Guest

    In article <rMQXg.16$3C6.3@trnddc04>,
    says...
    > On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 17:00:21 +0100, Paul Watt wrote:
    >

    > > "Paul Watt" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hi,
    > >> I've got a athlon2100 xp and I was wondering whether to track down a
    > >> 3000XP+ or overclock my 2100? I've got 900mb of ram so memorys not a
    > >> problem. I've just ordered a 600 W psu as my old one is starting to wobble
    > >> a bit (so much i've had to underclock my cpu!). Money is a BIG factor, so
    > >> any ideas?
    > >>

    > > Forgot to metion that I've got a MSI k75a mobo that will only handle a
    > > 3000xp+ chip

    > Socket A has been discontinuedd for some time. CPu prices for them are now
    > higher than newer much faster cpu's. Don't waste any more money on it. if
    > you need something faster, either overclock or buy newer MB/cpu.

    http://promotions.newegg.com/AMD/AMD_motherboard/index.html

    Might be one way to go.

    Bill
    --
    Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

    Bill, Oct 13, 2006
  5. Paul Watt wrote:

    > "Paul Watt" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>I've got a athlon2100 xp and I was wondering whether to track down a
    >>3000XP+ or overclock my 2100? I've got 900mb of ram so memorys not a
    >>problem. I've just ordered a 600 W psu as my old one is starting to wobble
    >>a bit (so much i've had to underclock my cpu!). Money is a BIG factor, so
    >>any ideas?
    >>

    > Forgot to metion that I've got a MSI k75a mobo that will only handle a
    > 3000xp+ chip

    I don't know how much cost os a factor. But something to consider is
    that an Athlon 64 3000 is down to around $55. A motherboard with decent
    vdeo performance (maybe not full gaming, but pretty good) will set you
    back another $70 to $80. i don't know what kind of memory you've got
    but this combo will probably need DDR400. That might be another factor
    to consider.

    Probably the other components in your system would "work" but might end
    up being a bottleneck in performance. Hard drive performance is a big
    issue if you want to use your old one.

    Merrill P. L. Worthington, Oct 14, 2006
  6. Paul Watt

    syzer Guest

    > Socket A has been discontinuedd for some time. CPu prices for them are now
    > higher than newer much faster cpu's. Don't waste any more money on it. if
    > you need something faster, either overclock or buy newer MB/cpu.

    u r 100% right.

    syzer, Oct 14, 2006
  7. Paul Watt

    syzer Guest

    what are speeds of your rams???
    400mhz?? ddr??
    what heatsink do u have?
    what mainboard do u have?? is agp/pci clocks are fixed??
    what is a current speed of a CPU?? (xp thing is for shit)

    syzer, Oct 14, 2006
  8. Paul Watt

    Dylan C Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > In article <rMQXg.16$3C6.3@trnddc04>,
    > says...
    >
    >>On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 17:00:21 +0100, Paul Watt wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Paul Watt" <> wrote in message

    >>>Forgot to metion that I've got a MSI k75a mobo that will only handle a
    >>>3000xp+ chip

    >>Socket A has been discontinuedd for some time. CPu prices for them are now
    >>higher than newer much faster cpu's. Don't waste any more money on it. if
    >>you need something faster, either overclock or buy newer MB/cpu.
    >>

    > http://promotions.newegg.com/AMD/AMD_motherboard/index.html
    >
    > Might be one way to go.
    >
    > Bill

    These are both great deals, but socket 939 doesn't have alot of life
    left in it either. That means that your NEXT upgrade will be a complete
    system upgrade. I'd say if overclocking your 2100 improves performance
    to acceptable levels, do it. THe best part is its free (unless you fry
    it). If the 2100 still won't cut it, those newegg deals are pretty good
    but you'll need a PCI Express video card. That'll add another $35.

    -Dylan C

    Dylan C, Oct 17, 2006
  9. Paul Watt

    Bill Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Bill wrote:
    > > In article <rMQXg.16$3C6.3@trnddc04>,
    > > says...

    > >>Socket A has been discontinuedd for some time. CPu prices for them are now
    > >>higher than newer much faster cpu's. Don't waste any more money on it. if
    > >>you need something faster, either overclock or buy newer MB/cpu.
    > >>

    > > http://promotions.newegg.com/AMD/AMD_motherboard/index.html
    > >
    > > Might be one way to go.
    > >
    > > Bill

    > These are both great deals, but socket 939 doesn't have alot of life
    > left in it either. That means that your NEXT upgrade will be a complete
    > system upgrade. I'd say if overclocking your 2100 improves performance
    > to acceptable levels, do it. THe best part is its free (unless you fry
    > it). If the 2100 still won't cut it, those newegg deals are pretty good
    > but you'll need a PCI Express video card. That'll add another $35.

    Actually, the Biostar board is compatable with "some" agp cards.

    > -Dylan C

    Bill
    --
    Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

    Bill, Oct 17, 2006
  10. Paul Watt

    VanShania Guest

    Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 is an AGP board and it will use your memory too.
    Hopefully it is PC3200 but if its not it will still work. Just make sure you
    create a raid disk using nvidias raid drivers or don't install the ide
    driver from the motherboard disk. If you flash the bios you can then use a
    dual core cpu. 939 may be short on legs but it is still fast and won't be a
    whole lot slower for a while.
    --
    Love and Teach, Not Yell and Beat
    Stop Violence and Child Abuse.

    A64 3500+, Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939,AIW 9800 128mb
    MSI 550 Pro, X-Fi, Pioneer 110D, 111D
    Antec 550 watt,Thermaltake Lanfire,2 Gb Dual Channel OCZ
    2XSATA 320gb Raid Edition, PATA 120Gb
    XP MCE2005, 19in Viewsonic,BenchMark 2001 SE- 19074
    Games I'm Playing- Falcon 4, winSPWW2, winSPMBT

    VanShania, Oct 17, 2006