    Any other things I should consider or advice?

    Thanks

    It's Me Again

    RT, Oct 22, 2004

  2. RT

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:36:02 +0000, RT wrote:

    > I am giving this http://tinyurl.com/6o2xz some consideration on this combo
    > to replace my existing Asus and Amd 2100+ with ATI 9800 pro. Apparently
    > this MB supports DDR 266 which is good news as I can using my existing
    > 2-512MB sticks.
    >
    > Is this an good overclockable combination?

    Not no, but hell no.:)

    Besides not being what you want, it's way overpriced at $369. You can get
    the same thing for around $225 wlth a minimum of effort, but don't.

    > Any other things I should consider or advice?

    Socket 754 is a good choice, but you want/need a newer chipset that has a
    PCI lock. And I'd replace the ram too with PC4000. With some smart
    shopping and selling your old ram, you could probably get a 3000+ system
    with new ram for less than that $369, and then you'd be set to overclock
    like crazy.:)

    Wes Newell, Oct 22, 2004

  3. RT

    Top Secret Guest

    >> I am giving this http://tinyurl.com/6o2xz some consideration on this
    >> combo
    >> to replace my existing Asus and Amd 2100+ with ATI 9800 pro. Apparently
    >> this MB supports DDR 266 which is good news as I can using my existing
    >> 2-512MB sticks.
    >>
    >> Is this an good overclockable combination?
    >>

    > Not no, but hell no.:)
    >
    > Besides not being what you want, it's way overpriced at $369. You can get
    > the same thing for around $225 wlth a minimum of effort, but don't.
    >
    >> Any other things I should consider or advice?
    >>

    > Socket 754 is a good choice, but you want/need a newer chipset that has a
    > PCI lock. And I'd replace the ram too with PC4000. With some smart
    > shopping and selling your old ram, you could probably get a 3000+ system
    > with new ram for less than that $369, and then you'd be set to overclock
    > like crazy.:)

    Thanks Wes, I'll have to do a bit of research on PCI lock. Were you quoting
    US Dollars? $369 is my Canadian price.

    Top Secret, Oct 22, 2004
  4. RT

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:19:35 +0000, Top Secret wrote:

    > Thanks Wes, I'll have to do a bit of research on PCI lock. Were you quoting
    > US Dollars? $369 is my Canadian price.

    Yes I was quoting US$. So maybe $369Can isn't so bad. I don't know the
    exchange rate at present time. Still, you need a chipset with a PCI lock
    if you plan on any worthwhile overclock. I think the NF3-250 and the
    K8T800 Pro chipsets have one, but double check. I know the original
    NF3-150 had problems with it, and the original K8T800 didn't have one for
    sure. you might want to consider a Sempron 3100+ for 754. they overclock
    like crazy (2.5GHz easy) from what I've read.

    Wes Newell, Oct 23, 2004
  5. RT

    Peter Guest

    > I am giving this http://tinyurl.com/6o2xz some consideration on this combo
    > to replace my existing Asus and Amd 2100+ with ATI 9800 pro. Apparently
    > this MB supports DDR 266 which is good news as I can using my existing
    > 2-512MB sticks.
    >
    > Is this an good overclockable combination?
    >
    > Any other things I should consider or advice?

    I bough this combination august this year:

    Asus K8V (85 euro's)
    Athlon 64 3000+ boxed (165 euro's)
    Infineon PC3200 2x 512mb (187 euro's)

    I'm happy with it, is stable at 224x10 (CPU-Z: 2239.8 MHz), didn't tweak
    voltages or memory settings. It has got PCI and AGP lock. Don't know how it
    will work with the 266 memory.

    Have a nice weekend, Peter

    Peter, Oct 23, 2004
  6. RT

    batshit Guest

    that's cheap just wonder where link can be, it would be great help!!!!
    thanks

    batshit, Oct 23, 2004
  7. RT

    Peter Guest

    > >> I am giving this http://tinyurl.com/6o2xz some consideration on this
    combo
    > >> to replace my existing Asus and Amd 2100+ with ATI 9800 pro.

    Apparently
    > >> this MB supports DDR 266 which is good news as I can using my existing
    > >> 2-512MB sticks.
    > >> Is this an good overclockable combination?
    > >> Any other things I should consider or advice?

    ***
    > >I bough this combination august this year:
    > >
    > >Asus K8V (85 euro's)
    > >Athlon 64 3000+ boxed (165 euro's)
    > >Infineon PC3200 2x 512mb (187 euro's)
    > >
    > >I'm happy with it, is stable at 224x10 (CPU-Z: 2239.8 MHz), didn't tweak
    > >voltages or memory settings. It has got PCI and AGP lock. Don't know how

    it
    > >will work with the 266 memory.

    ***
    > that's cheap just wonder where link can be, it would be great help!!!!
    > thanks

    ***
    Do you mean where's the link to that shop ?
    (English is not my native language)

    P...

    Peter, Oct 23, 2004