Overclocked E6600 & P5W DH Deluxe with Incredible Results

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by jmorton, Jul 3, 2007.

  1. jmorton

    jmorton Guest

    Overclocked E6600 & P5W DH Deluxe with Incredible Results

    I just overclocked my new "rig:" E6600 @ 3.2GHz (2.4GHz), P5W DH
    Deluxe, Corsair XMS CL4 RAM: 2 X 1GB DIMMs & 2 X 512MB DIMMs PC2 5700
    (6400) Dual-channel interleaved, etc. (Note: I just use the stock
    HSF and I also mounted the included optional fan on the passive
    radiator fins.)

    What's incredible is how simple the 33% overclock of the E6600 & P5W
    DH Deluxe was.

    I read several posts and here's what I did based upon discussions in
    these newsgroups:

    2.4GHz (stock) - I first ran two instances of a software program I
    have that utilizes each core 100%. (One instance for each core.) It
    took 11 minutes and 10 seconds. The CPU temp went from 24C to 34C and
    held steady.

    3.0GHz - Then I went into BIOS and manually set the FSB frequency to
    333MHz, the DRAM frequency to 667MHz, and the RAM voltage to 2.1V
    (spec'ed) and the timings to 4-4-4-12 (spec'ed) and I guessed for the
    2T parameter. I again ran the two instances of the program with both
    cores at 100%. This time it took 8:58 to complete. The temps went
    from 24C to 38C and held steady.

    3.2GHz - For the next overclock I only raised the FSB clock to 356MHz
    which automatically raised the DRAM frequency to 712MHz. I again ran
    the two instances of the program with both cores at 100%. This time
    it took 8:18 to complete. The temps went from 24C to 42C and held
    steady.

    4.0GHz - The last attempt at overclocking failed when I raised the
    FSB frequency to 400MHz. I tried fiddling around with it. I finally
    did get to the Windows opening screen but it took a vCore of 1.45,
    etc. and still crashed. I figure at these higher voltages I best have
    industrial cooling which I do not intend to get into. And 1.45 vCore
    is well outside of Intel specs. And these higher settings probably
    would shorten the life of my system.

    So I said, "enough."

    But think about this: I did not change anything else. All other
    settings were left at default. And all with air cooling.

    This is testament to what a great buy the Intel E6600 and the Asus P5W
    DH Deluxe are. Just incredible!

    JM
    (AS)

    1. Advertising

  2. "jmorton" <> wrote in message
    > Overclocked E6600 & P5W DH Deluxe with Incredible Results
    >
    > I just overclocked my new "rig:" E6600 @ 3.2GHz (2.4GHz), P5W DH
    > Deluxe, Corsair XMS CL4 RAM: 2 X 1GB DIMMs & 2 X 512MB DIMMs PC2 5700
    > (6400) Dual-channel interleaved, etc. (Note: I just use the stock
    > HSF and I also mounted the included optional fan on the passive
    > radiator fins.)
    >
    > What's incredible is how simple the 33% overclock of the E6600 & P5W
    > DH Deluxe was.
    >
    > I read several posts and here's what I did based upon discussions in
    > these newsgroups:
    >
    > 2.4GHz (stock) - I first ran two instances of a software program I
    > have that utilizes each core 100%. (One instance for each core.) It
    > took 11 minutes and 10 seconds. The CPU temp went from 24C to 34C and
    > held steady.
    >
    > 3.0GHz - Then I went into BIOS and manually set the FSB frequency to
    > 333MHz, the DRAM frequency to 667MHz, and the RAM voltage to 2.1V
    > (spec'ed) and the timings to 4-4-4-12 (spec'ed) and I guessed for the
    > 2T parameter. I again ran the two instances of the program with both
    > cores at 100%. This time it took 8:58 to complete. The temps went
    > from 24C to 38C and held steady.
    >
    > 3.2GHz - For the next overclock I only raised the FSB clock to 356MHz
    > which automatically raised the DRAM frequency to 712MHz. I again ran
    > the two instances of the program with both cores at 100%. This time
    > it took 8:18 to complete. The temps went from 24C to 42C and held
    > steady.
    >
    > 4.0GHz - The last attempt at overclocking failed when I raised the
    > FSB frequency to 400MHz. I tried fiddling around with it. I finally
    > did get to the Windows opening screen but it took a vCore of 1.45,
    > etc. and still crashed. I figure at these higher voltages I best have
    > industrial cooling which I do not intend to get into. And 1.45 vCore
    > is well outside of Intel specs. And these higher settings probably
    > would shorten the life of my system.
    >
    > So I said, "enough."
    >
    > But think about this: I did not change anything else. All other
    > settings were left at default. And all with air cooling.
    >
    > This is testament to what a great buy the Intel E6600 and the Asus P5W
    > DH Deluxe are. Just incredible!
    >
    > JM
    > (AS)

    The most interesting part is that your temperatures remain so low with the
    stock Intel HSF.
    Unless Intel includes a vastly superior HSF to that supplied with the 6420,
    the results are nothing short of incredible.
    My 6420, overclocked to 2.72 GHz (from 2.13), runs at 42-43C at idle to low
    60's under 100% load on each core.

    1. Advertising

  3. Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'jmorton' wrote, in part:
    | Overclocked E6600 & P5W DH Deluxe with Incredible Results
    |
    | I just overclocked my new "rig:" E6600 @ 3.2GHz (2.4GHz), P5W DH
    | Deluxe, Corsair XMS CL4 RAM: 2 X 1GB DIMMs & 2 X 512MB DIMMs PC2 5700
    | (6400) Dual-channel interleaved, etc. (Note: I just use the stock
    | HSF and I also mounted the included optional fan on the passive
    | radiator fins.)
    _____

    Very good.
    Have you tried 'Orthos' and 'TAT' to check for stability under load, and
    (with 'TAT') for the two individual core temperatures? These two utilities
    could give you a better idea of what is going on.

    You might also try LOWERING the CPU core voltage. My E4300 @ 2.7 GHz runs
    with a core voltage of 1.21 v, more than 0.1 v below the stock setting.
    Even then with the Intel stock retail, boxed heatsink/fan 'TAT' reports CPU
    temperatures in the 60's C when both CPUs are loaded 100%. (room ambient ~
    28 C.) With a LOWER CPU voltage you might get an even higher overclock with
    stock cooling.

    TAT (Intel Thermal Analysis Tool):
    http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/392/mirrors.php

    Orthos:
    http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/beta2.htm

    Phil Weldon

    "jmorton" <> wrote in message
    | Overclocked E6600 & P5W DH Deluxe with Incredible Results
    |
    | I just overclocked my new "rig:" E6600 @ 3.2GHz (2.4GHz), P5W DH
    | Deluxe, Corsair XMS CL4 RAM: 2 X 1GB DIMMs & 2 X 512MB DIMMs PC2 5700
    | (6400) Dual-channel interleaved, etc. (Note: I just use the stock
    | HSF and I also mounted the included optional fan on the passive
    | radiator fins.)
    |
    | What's incredible is how simple the 33% overclock of the E6600 & P5W
    | DH Deluxe was.
    |
    | I read several posts and here's what I did based upon discussions in
    | these newsgroups:
    |
    | 2.4GHz (stock) - I first ran two instances of a software program I
    | have that utilizes each core 100%. (One instance for each core.) It
    | took 11 minutes and 10 seconds. The CPU temp went from 24C to 34C and
    | held steady.
    |
    | 3.0GHz - Then I went into BIOS and manually set the FSB frequency to
    | 333MHz, the DRAM frequency to 667MHz, and the RAM voltage to 2.1V
    | (spec'ed) and the timings to 4-4-4-12 (spec'ed) and I guessed for the
    | 2T parameter. I again ran the two instances of the program with both
    | cores at 100%. This time it took 8:58 to complete. The temps went
    | from 24C to 38C and held steady.
    |
    | 3.2GHz - For the next overclock I only raised the FSB clock to 356MHz
    | which automatically raised the DRAM frequency to 712MHz. I again ran
    | the two instances of the program with both cores at 100%. This time
    | it took 8:18 to complete. The temps went from 24C to 42C and held
    | steady.
    |
    | 4.0GHz - The last attempt at overclocking failed when I raised the
    | FSB frequency to 400MHz. I tried fiddling around with it. I finally
    | did get to the Windows opening screen but it took a vCore of 1.45,
    | etc. and still crashed. I figure at these higher voltages I best have
    | industrial cooling which I do not intend to get into. And 1.45 vCore
    | is well outside of Intel specs. And these higher settings probably
    | would shorten the life of my system.
    |
    | So I said, "enough."
    |
    | But think about this: I did not change anything else. All other
    | settings were left at default. And all with air cooling.
    |
    | This is testament to what a great buy the Intel E6600 and the Asus P5W
    | DH Deluxe are. Just incredible!
    |
    | JM
    | (AS)

  4. peter

    peter Guest

    very good OC..........but I am really amazed at your temps.
    On my Gigabyte N650SLI-DS4 running with a FSB 400 and the mem @ 400x2 equals
    a setting of 8x400=3200 on a E6420 with stock cooler........its hot than
    hell here now reached 32celsius today.The computer is in a basement office
    and shows an internal case temp of 30celsius.At Idle both cores show a temp
    of 32 to 35 Celsius using RightMark CPU Clock Utility and when I run Orthos
    it goes up pretty fast and reaches 58-60 after a 1/2 hour running at 100%.At
    that point it remains pretty stable temp wise for the next 1/2 hour and then
    goes up to63- 65celsius at which point I stop the test.
    Ordered myself a Thermalright Heatsink the HR-01 with a 120mm Fan and a Fan
    Duct to connect to the 120mm case fan in the back.
    lets see if that will cool things down a bit.
    i have a temp probe on that massive northbridge heatsink and it normally
    runs at 65 and reaches 73 under full load.Still trying to find a way to cool
    that thing down some.
    peter
    "jmorton" <> wrote in message
    > Overclocked E6600 & P5W DH Deluxe with Incredible Results
    >
    > I just overclocked my new "rig:" E6600 @ 3.2GHz (2.4GHz), P5W DH
    > Deluxe, Corsair XMS CL4 RAM: 2 X 1GB DIMMs & 2 X 512MB DIMMs PC2 5700
    > (6400) Dual-channel interleaved, etc. (Note: I just use the stock
    > HSF and I also mounted the included optional fan on the passive
    > radiator fins.)
    >
    > What's incredible is how simple the 33% overclock of the E6600 & P5W
    > DH Deluxe was.
    >
    > I read several posts and here's what I did based upon discussions in
    > these newsgroups:
    >
    > 2.4GHz (stock) - I first ran two instances of a software program I
    > have that utilizes each core 100%. (One instance for each core.) It
    > took 11 minutes and 10 seconds. The CPU temp went from 24C to 34C and
    > held steady.
    >
    > 3.0GHz - Then I went into BIOS and manually set the FSB frequency to
    > 333MHz, the DRAM frequency to 667MHz, and the RAM voltage to 2.1V
    > (spec'ed) and the timings to 4-4-4-12 (spec'ed) and I guessed for the
    > 2T parameter. I again ran the two instances of the program with both
    > cores at 100%. This time it took 8:58 to complete. The temps went
    > from 24C to 38C and held steady.
    >
    > 3.2GHz - For the next overclock I only raised the FSB clock to 356MHz
    > which automatically raised the DRAM frequency to 712MHz. I again ran
    > the two instances of the program with both cores at 100%. This time
    > it took 8:18 to complete. The temps went from 24C to 42C and held
    > steady.
    >
    > 4.0GHz - The last attempt at overclocking failed when I raised the
    > FSB frequency to 400MHz. I tried fiddling around with it. I finally
    > did get to the Windows opening screen but it took a vCore of 1.45,
    > etc. and still crashed. I figure at these higher voltages I best have
    > industrial cooling which I do not intend to get into. And 1.45 vCore
    > is well outside of Intel specs. And these higher settings probably
    > would shorten the life of my system.
    >
    > So I said, "enough."
    >
    > But think about this: I did not change anything else. All other
    > settings were left at default. And all with air cooling.
    >
    > This is testament to what a great buy the Intel E6600 and the Asus P5W
    > DH Deluxe are. Just incredible!
    >
    > JM
    > (AS)

  5. Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'peter' wrote, in part:
    | very good OC..........but I am really amazed at your temps.
    | On my Gigabyte N650SLI-DS4 running with a FSB 400 and the mem @ 400x2
    equals
    | a setting of 8x400=3200 on a E6420 with stock cooler........its hot than
    | hell here now reached 32celsius today.The computer is in a basement office
    | and shows an internal case temp of 30celsius.At Idle both cores show a
    temp
    | of 32 to 35 Celsius using RightMark CPU Clock Utility and when I run
    Orthos
    | it goes up pretty fast and reaches 58-60 after a 1/2 hour running at 100%.

    Your temperatures are much more in line with my experience with an E4300 @
    2.7 GHz / 1.21 v core (28 C ambient / mid-60s C with TAT 100% on both CPUs.)
    Orthos shows a temperature about 5 C lower.

    I put the difference down to the temperature reporting application.

    Phil Weldon

    "peter" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    | > the two instances of the program with both cores at 100%. This time
    | > it took 8:18 to complete. The temps went from 24C to 42C and held
    | > steady.
    | >
    | > 4.0GHz - The last attempt at overclocking failed when I raised the
    | > FSB frequency to 400MHz. I tried fiddling around with it. I finally
    | > did get to the Windows opening screen but it took a vCore of 1.45,
    | > etc. and still crashed. I figure at these higher voltages I best have
    | > industrial cooling which I do not intend to get into. And 1.45 vCore
    | > is well outside of Intel specs. And these higher settings probably
    | > would shorten the life of my system.
    | >
    | > So I said, "enough."
    | >
    | > But think about this: I did not change anything else. All other
    | > settings were left at default. And all with air cooling.
    | >
    | > This is testament to what a great buy the Intel E6600 and the Asus P5W

  6. Don Burnette

    Don Burnette Guest

    "jmorton" <> wrote in message
    <snip>

    > This is testament to what a great buy the Intel E6600 and the Asus P5W
    > DH Deluxe are. Just incredible!
    >
    > JM
    > (AS)

    Yep, I have been running my E6600, at 3.24 ghz, on EVGA 680i mb for about 5
    months now, very happy with it.

    --
    Don

  7. Ed Medlin

    Ed Medlin Guest

    "Phil Weldon" <> wrote in message
    > 'peter' wrote, in part:
    > | very good OC..........but I am really amazed at your temps.
    > | On my Gigabyte N650SLI-DS4 running with a FSB 400 and the mem @
    > 400x2
    > equals
    > | a setting of 8x400=3200 on a E6420 with stock cooler........its hot
    > than
    > | hell here now reached 32celsius today.The computer is in a basement
    > office
    > | and shows an internal case temp of 30celsius.At Idle both cores show
    > temp
    > | of 32 to 35 Celsius using RightMark CPU Clock Utility and when I run
    > Orthos
    > | it goes up pretty fast and reaches 58-60 after a 1/2 hour running at
    > 100%.
    >
    > Your temperatures are much more in line with my experience with an
    > E4300 @
    > 2.7 GHz / 1.21 v core (28 C ambient / mid-60s C with TAT 100% on both
    > CPUs.)
    > Orthos shows a temperature about 5 C lower.
    >
    > I put the difference down to the temperature reporting application.
    >
    > Phil Weldon

    I had to RMA my P5N32-E-SLI because of a SATA controller failure.
    Before I had the problem, my temps (liquid cooling) had dropped
    significantly from 29c/idle and 51c/max running Orthos small ffts to 27c
    and 43-44c max. I was able to get the e6600 up to 3.3 quite easily but
    then the SATA controller just failed to recognize any drives at all.
    Default bios settings showed no difference. MB temps were fine at 41c
    pretty steady after adding a 100mm fan to blow across the MB heat pipes.
    My replacement will be a Striker Extreme due to no P5N32s were available
    Mon except in the 650i version. I am not familiar with the Striker
    board, but will give it a go since it is also a NV 680i board. The
    customer service guy said it is a new, boxed board so I don't think I
    will be worried about it being a refurb.
    I generally have used CoreTemp to monitor my temps on the C2Ds since
    it seems to reflect pretty much the same temps as the bios and I could
    compare with others here that use the same app. Temps have always been
    an issue with folks using different software. The OP's temps were very
    good for that OC and air cooling.

    Ed

  8. "Phil Weldon" <> wrote in message
    > Very good.
    > Have you tried 'Orthos' and 'TAT' to check for stability under load, and
    > (with 'TAT') for the two individual core temperatures? These two
    > utilities
    > could give you a better idea of what is going on.
    >
    > You might also try LOWERING the CPU core voltage. My E4300 @ 2.7 GHz runs
    > with a core voltage of 1.21 v, more than 0.1 v below the stock setting.
    > Even then with the Intel stock retail, boxed heatsink/fan 'TAT' reports
    > CPU
    > temperatures in the 60's C when both CPUs are loaded 100%. (room ambient ~
    > 28 C.) With a LOWER CPU voltage you might get an even higher overclock
    > with
    > stock cooling.

    Here I am again with another question :)
    When I saw your post, I went to check the voltage for my 6420 at 2.72 GHz
    (Auto in the BIOS), and discovered through both Asus Probe and SpeedFan that
    I was running at ~1.42v. That sounded a bit high for "Auto", so I changed it
    to 1.35 in the BIOS with no perceivable result except a welcome 2C reduction
    in operating temperature in normal use.
    I then went to the Intel web site to see what the "normal" or default
    voltage for a 6420 should be. Got mired down in page after page of details,
    but didn't find what I was looking for. Do you, by chance, have a link?

  9. Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Peter van der Goes' wrote:
    | Here I am again with another question :)
    | When I saw your post, I went to check the voltage for my 6420 at 2.72 GHz
    | (Auto in the BIOS), and discovered through both Asus Probe and SpeedFan
    that
    | I was running at ~1.42v. That sounded a bit high for "Auto", so I changed
    it
    | to 1.35 in the BIOS with no perceivable result except a welcome 2C
    reduction
    | in operating temperature in normal use.
    | I then went to the Intel web site to see what the "normal" or default
    | voltage for a 6420 should be. Got mired down in page after page of
    details,
    | but didn't find what I was looking for. Do you, by chance, have a link?
    _____

    When overclocking you should use the lowest possible voltage the give a
    stable overclock. Trade-off among core voltage, CPU speed, and CPU
    temperature for the best stable overclock.

    The CPU core voltage can be different among CPUs of the same type and
    identification - it is set durning testing at the factory.

    "Individual processor VID values may be calibrated during manufacturing such
    that two
    devices at the same core speed may have different default VID settings. This
    is
    reflected by the VID Range values provided in Table 5. Refer to the Intel®
    CoreT2 Duo
    Desktop Processor E6000 and E4000 Sequence and Intel® CoreT2 Extreme
    Processor
    X6800 Specification Update for further details on specific valid core
    frequency and VID
    values of the processor. Note this differs from the VID employed by the
    processor
    during a power management event (Thermal Monitor 2, Enhanced Intel
    SpeedStep®
    Technology, or Extended HALT State)."

    page 14,
    Intel® CoreT2 Extreme Processor
    X6800? and Intel® CoreT2 Duo
    Desktop Processor E6000 and
    E4000? Sequences
    Datasheet
    http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/31327804.pdf

    There is no further core voltage information at this time in

  10. "Phil Weldon" <> wrote in message
    > When overclocking you should use the lowest possible voltage the give a
    > stable overclock. Trade-off among core voltage, CPU speed, and CPU
    > temperature for the best stable overclock.
    >
    > The CPU core voltage can be different among CPUs of the same type and
    > identification - it is set durning testing at the factory.
    >
    > "Individual processor VID values may be calibrated during manufacturing
    > such
    > that two
    > devices at the same core speed may have different default VID settings.
    > This
    > is
    > reflected by the VID Range values provided in Table 5. Refer to the Intel®
    > CoreT2 Duo
    > Desktop Processor E6000 and E4000 Sequence and Intel® CoreT2 Extreme
    > Processor
    > X6800 Specification Update for further details on specific valid core
    > frequency and VID
    > values of the processor. Note this differs from the VID employed by the
    > processor
    > during a power management event (Thermal Monitor 2, Enhanced Intel
    > SpeedStep®
    > Technology, or Extended HALT State)."
    >
    > page 14,
    > Intel® CoreT2 Extreme Processor
    > X6800? and Intel® CoreT2 Duo
    > Desktop Processor E6000 and
    > E4000? Sequences
    > Datasheet
    > http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/31327804.pdf
    >
    > There is no further core voltage information at this time in
    >
    > Intel® CoreT2 Duo
    > Desktop Processor E6000 and E4000 Sequence and Intel® CoreT2 Extreme
    > Processor
    > X6800 Specification Update
    >
    > Phil Weldon

    Thanks very much, Phil.
    I had no idea it was so complicated. I guess the reading from the BIOS Auto
    setting was legit.
    So far 1.35 is working fine (down from 1.42). I'll try a little less the
    next time I restart.

  11. Ed Medlin

    Ed Medlin Guest

    > "Phil Weldon" <> wrote in message
    >> Very good.
    >> Have you tried 'Orthos' and 'TAT' to check for stability under load,
    >> and
    >> (with 'TAT') for the two individual core temperatures? These two
    >> utilities
    >> could give you a better idea of what is going on.
    >>
    >> You might also try LOWERING the CPU core voltage. My E4300 @ 2.7 GHz
    >> runs
    >> with a core voltage of 1.21 v, more than 0.1 v below the stock
    >> setting.
    >> Even then with the Intel stock retail, boxed heatsink/fan 'TAT'
    >> reports CPU
    >> temperatures in the 60's C when both CPUs are loaded 100%. (room
    >> ambient ~
    >> 28 C.) With a LOWER CPU voltage you might get an even higher
    >> overclock with
    >> stock cooling.
    >>

    > Here I am again with another question :)
    > When I saw your post, I went to check the voltage for my 6420 at 2.72
    > GHz (Auto in the BIOS), and discovered through both Asus Probe and
    > SpeedFan that I was running at ~1.42v. That sounded a bit high for
    > "Auto", so I changed it to 1.35 in the BIOS with no perceivable result
    > except a welcome 2C reduction in operating temperature in normal use.
    > I then went to the Intel web site to see what the "normal" or default
    > voltage for a 6420 should be. Got mired down in page after page of
    > details, but didn't find what I was looking for. Do you, by chance,
    > have a link?

    The new Intels are kind of different animals. I believe the actual
    default core is something like 1.20-1.25v. I have just recently found
    that when overclocking using 'Auto' for voltage that my 680i board will
    give whatever voltage it thinks should keep it stable to the CPU. At
    3.3ghz, the core voltage for my e6600 was set to 1.45v. I manually set
    the voltage back down to 1.30v and it stayed stable.

    Ed

  12. "Ed Medlin" <> wrote in message

    > The new Intels are kind of different animals. I believe the actual default
    > core is something like 1.20-1.25v. I have just recently found that when
    > overclocking using 'Auto' for voltage that my 680i board will give
    > whatever voltage it thinks should keep it stable to the CPU. At 3.3ghz,
    > the core voltage for my e6600 was set to 1.45v. I manually set the voltage
    > back down to 1.30v and it stayed stable.
    >

    > Ed

    Again, I owe you and Phil a huge THANK YOU for the insights into C2D
    overclocking. With my VCore now reduced to 1.30 in the BIOS, I'm running in
    the low to mid 40's C in normal use at 2.8 GHz, still using the Intel HSF.
    I've run Orthos for over three hours and the CPU never exceeded 61C.

    I'm very pleased with the results, especially as the PC seems 100% stable.

  13. Fishface

    Fishface Guest

    Peter van der Goes wrote:

    > With my VCore now reduced to 1.30 in the BIOS, I'm running in
    > the low to mid 40's C in normal use at 2.8 GHz, still using the Intel HSF.
    > I've run Orthos for over three hours and the CPU never exceeded 61C.
    >
    > I'm very pleased with the results, especially as the PC seems 100% stable.

    The temperature monitoring program CoreTemp will tell you what voltage
    is specified by your processor. It is shown in the field labeled "VID."
    http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
    I'd be interested to know what is your default voltage on the E6420.

  14. "Fishface" <?> wrote in message
    > Peter van der Goes wrote:
    >
    >> With my VCore now reduced to 1.30 in the BIOS, I'm running in
    >> the low to mid 40's C in normal use at 2.8 GHz, still using the Intel
    >> HSF.
    >> I've run Orthos for over three hours and the CPU never exceeded 61C.
    >>
    >> I'm very pleased with the results, especially as the PC seems 100%
    >> stable.

    > The temperature monitoring program CoreTemp will tell you what voltage
    > is specified by your processor. It is shown in the field labeled "VID."
    > http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
    > I'd be interested to know what is your default voltage on the E6420.

    Sorry, but I don't know the default voltage at stock speed, as I left it on
    Auto until I read Phil's and Ed's articles earlier in this thread. After
    reading Ed and Phil, I had a look using SpeedFan and found it to be 1.42v
    when I was over clocked to 2.72 GHz. Phil and Ed agree that these C2D's
    adjust themselves to over clocking by upping the voltage. I set mine to 1.3v
    and suffered no ill effects. The CPU is now at 2.8 GHz and runs measurably
    cooler that it did at 1.42v.

  15. Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Peter van der Goes' wrote:
    | Sorry, but I don't know the default voltage at stock speed, as I left it
    on
    | Auto until I read Phil's and Ed's articles earlier in this thread. After
    | reading Ed and Phil, I had a look using SpeedFan and found it to be 1.42v
    | when I was over clocked to 2.72 GHz. Phil and Ed agree that these C2D's
    | adjust themselves to over clocking by upping the voltage. I set mine to
    1.3v
    | and suffered no ill effects. The CPU is now at 2.8 GHz and runs measurably
    | cooler that it did at 1.42v.
    _____

    'Core Temp 0.95 reads the factory set default core voltage on the CPU (the
    voltage setting code that appears on the VID pins of the CPU that the
    motherboard uses to set the voltage regulator output.) Just download and
    run the applet to get the factory default voltage setting.

    Some motherboards have automatic overclocking features that will override
    the VID and change the CPU voltage unless this automatic CPU voltage feature
    is disabled in the BIOS. That is the case with the nVidia 680i motherboards
    that 'Ed Medlin' and I use. For example, the factory set core voltage for
    my E4300 is 1.3250 volts. I've found that the best setting for overclocking
    is 1.2500 volts. The various monitoring programs that work for my
    motherboard report an actual core voltage reading of 1.21 volts when I set
    it manually in the BIOS to 1.2500 v.

    I still have not found ANY monitoring programs that correctly report all of
    the voltages, temperatures, and fan speeds for my EVGA 680i motherboard.
    Even monitoring programs that recognize the Winbond W83627DHG do not report
    all the voltages correctly or all the temperatures correctly or all the fan
    speeds correctly. One problem with the voltages (and, I suppose, with the
    temperatures) is the particular divider resistors the motherboard
    manufacturer uses - the temperature conversion software software must not
    only know about the particular monitoring chip used, but also the resistor
    divider ratios.

    | "Fishface" <?> wrote in message
    | > Peter van der Goes wrote:
    | >
    | >> With my VCore now reduced to 1.30 in the BIOS, I'm running in
    | >> the low to mid 40's C in normal use at 2.8 GHz, still using the Intel
    | >> HSF.
    | >> I've run Orthos for over three hours and the CPU never exceeded 61C.
    | >>
    | >> I'm very pleased with the results, especially as the PC seems 100%
    | >> stable.
    | >
    | > The temperature monitoring program CoreTemp will tell you what voltage
    | > is specified by your processor. It is shown in the field labeled "VID."
    | > http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
    | > I'd be interested to know what is your default voltage on the E6420.
    | >
    | Sorry, but I don't know the default voltage at stock speed, as I left it
    on
    | Auto until I read Phil's and Ed's articles earlier in this thread. After
    | reading Ed and Phil, I had a look using SpeedFan and found it to be 1.42v
    | when I was over clocked to 2.72 GHz. Phil and Ed agree that these C2D's
    | adjust themselves to over clocking by upping the voltage. I set mine to
    1.3v
    | and suffered no ill effects. The CPU is now at 2.8 GHz and runs measurably
    | cooler that it did at 1.42v.

  16. peter

    peter Guest

    So today I installed the HR-01 775.....I also installed some newer fans into
    my Antec P160 case.
    in the back a 120mm Vantec Stealth about 53cfm....in the front a 120mm
    S-Flex 1200rpm 49cfm.
    The HR-01 fitted in nicely and I attached a 120mm S-Flex 1600rpm 63cfm fan
    to it instead of using the fanduct.
    the fan blows thru the HR-01 towards the rear exhaust case fan.
    case temps dropped to 29/30
    CPU temps dropped to 30/32 ............BUT northbridge heatsink temp rose by
    17 to 83 ???????????
    After letting machine run on idle for 2 hours I ran Orthos small ffts for 2
    hours and used Rightmark CPU clock utility to monitor temps
    in the 1st hr temps went to 57 and never moved any higher.The case temp
    increased by 1 and the northbridge stayed at 83.
    after 2 hours nothing had changed..........this is about 7 degrees less with
    what I used to get after one hour.
    I should also mention that the room temp was up about 8degrees from previous
    testings....it was a scorching 38 Celsius today.
    peter