    My Question is then: How can A mere 200 Mhtz increase make such a big
    difference????
    My System Specs: Windows XP, 2 Gigs Ram, Sapphire HD3850 with 512 MB
    SAMF2000, Sep 2, 2008

  2. SAMF2000

    Kent_Diego Guest

    >I was tinkering around my BIOS after listening to a podcast about
    > overclocking and I found where I could Change the FSB of my CPU. It
    > was running at 2.8 ghz and the FSB Was 133. I slowly crept the FSB to
    > 144 with multiplier at 21 as any higher gave me errors in windows .
    > My 2.8 ghz is now running at 3 ghz. Awesome.
    > But whats really amazing is my favorite online game BF2 No longer
    > Defaults to medium settings on everything but on High Settings. My
    > frame rates shot up to 10-15 extra frames per sec too.
    > My Question is then: How can A mere 200 Mhtz increase make such a big
    > difference????
    > My System Specs: Windows XP, 2 Gigs Ram, Sapphire HD3850 with 512 MB

    An 8% overclock is good safe amount. Increasing the FSB also overclocks the
    RAM frequency. That helps the P4's a lot. Be sure to run Memtest86
    overnight just to be safe.
    Kent_Diego, Sep 3, 2008

  3. SAMF2000

    SAMF2000 Guest

    On Sep 2, 9:27 pm, "Kent_Diego" <> wrote:
    > >I was tinkering around my BIOS after listening to a podcast about
    > > overclocking and I found where I could Change the FSB of my CPU. It
    > > was running at 2.8 ghz and the FSB Was 133. I slowly crept the FSB to
    > > 144 with multiplier at 21 as any higher gave me errors in  windows .
    > > My 2.8 ghz is now running at 3 ghz. Awesome.
    > > But whats really amazing is my favorite online game BF2 No longer
    > > Defaults to medium settings on everything but on High Settings. My
    > > frame rates shot up to 10-15 extra frames per sec too.
    > > My Question is then: How can A mere 200 Mhtz increase make such a big
    > > difference????
    > > My System Specs: Windows XP, 2 Gigs Ram, Sapphire HD3850 with 512 MB

    > An 8% overclock is good safe amount. Increasing the FSB also overclocks the
    > RAM frequency. That helps the P4's a lot.  Be sure to run Memtest86
    > overnight just to be safe.

    Yeah I will do that thanks. When I was slowly overclocking, once It
    stopped booting I knew I went too far and had to take battery out and
    reset jumpers.
    All seems okay pretty stable as I ran Folding@Home all day and no
    crashes so far. I also tweaked my ATI HD3850 USING ATI Overdrive
    utility.
    SAMF2000, Sep 3, 2008
  4. SAMF2000

    Ed Medlin Guest

    "SAMF2000" <> wrote in message
    >I was tinkering around my BIOS after listening to a podcast about
    > overclocking and I found where I could Change the FSB of my CPU. It
    > was running at 2.8 ghz and the FSB Was 133. I slowly crept the FSB to
    > 144 with multiplier at 21 as any higher gave me errors in windows .
    > My 2.8 ghz is now running at 3 ghz. Awesome.
    > But whats really amazing is my favorite online game BF2 No longer
    > Defaults to medium settings on everything but on High Settings. My
    > frame rates shot up to 10-15 extra frames per sec too.
    > My Question is then: How can A mere 200 Mhtz increase make such a big
    > difference????
    > My System Specs: Windows XP, 2 Gigs Ram, Sapphire HD3850 with 512 MB

    Check your cpu temps. If they are low you might be able to raise your cpu's
    core voltage a little and get even more out of it. Raise it in one or two
    increments which on most MBs is very little but can increase your cpu's
    stability greatly in some cases. Most of the P4s ran a bit warm to begin
    with, but the rule of thumb is to keep in the 60-65C or under when the cpu
    is stressed to the max using something like Prime95 or Sandra. CoreTemp is a
    good monitoring tool. BF2 is pretty cpu intensive so, yes 200Mhz can make a
    fairly big difference in gameplay. I have a P4 2.8 (probably the same as
    yours) in the other room running at 3.2Ghz very solidly with air cooling. It
    has been running that way for several years without a hitch at all. The old
    P4s just don't compare with the C2Ds and Quads for gaming enthusiasts, but
    can get by fairly well in a lot of cases. My 2.8 didn't really run much
    hotter with a bump up in core voltage than it did at stock voltage. I really
    don't remember what the base voltage was, but I think I only raised it two
    increments on a P5GDC Deluxe Asus board.

    Ed
    Ed Medlin, Sep 3, 2008
  5. SAMF2000

    SAMF2000 Guest

    On Sep 3, 8:07 am, "Ed Medlin" <ed@ edmedlin.com> wrote:
    > "SAMF2000" <> wrote in message

    > >I was tinkering around my BIOS after listening to a podcast about
    > > overclocking and I found where I could Change the FSB of my CPU. It
    > > was running at 2.8 ghz and the FSB Was 133. I slowly crept the FSB to
    > > 144 with multiplier at 21 as any higher gave me errors in  windows .
    > > My 2.8 ghz is now running at 3 ghz. Awesome.
    > > But whats really amazing is my favorite online game BF2 No longer
    > > Defaults to medium settings on everything but on High Settings. My
    > > frame rates shot up to 10-15 extra frames per sec too.
    > > My Question is then: How can A mere 200 Mhtz increase make such a big
    > > difference????
    > > My System Specs: Windows XP, 2 Gigs Ram, Sapphire HD3850 with 512 MB

    > Check your cpu temps. If they are low you might be able to raise your cpu's
    > core voltage a little and get even more out of it. Raise it in one or two
    > increments which on most MBs is very little but can increase your cpu's
    > stability greatly in some cases. Most of the P4s ran a bit warm to begin
    > with, but the rule of thumb is to keep in the 60-65C or under when the cpu
    > is stressed to the max using something like Prime95 or Sandra. CoreTemp is a
    > good monitoring tool. BF2 is pretty cpu intensive so, yes 200Mhz can makea
    > fairly big difference in gameplay. I have a P4 2.8 (probably the same as
    > yours) in the other room running at 3.2Ghz very solidly with air cooling.It
    > has been running that way for several years without a hitch at all. The old
    > P4s just don't compare with the C2Ds and Quads for gaming enthusiasts, but
    > can get by fairly well in a lot of cases. My 2.8 didn't really run much
    > hotter with a bump up in core voltage than it did at stock voltage. I really
    > don't remember what the base voltage was, but I think I only raised it two
    > increments on a P5GDC Deluxe Asus board.
    >
    > Ed

    I checked temps on both my CPU and GPU After running both with SETI
    cpu client and folding@home gpu client and both ran around 60 degrees
    c so I think I'm fine. I figured my CPU Was holding back my video
    card.
    SAMF2000, Sep 3, 2008
  6. SAMF2000

    Ed Medlin Guest

    > Check your cpu temps. If they are low you might be able to raise your
    > cpu's
    > core voltage a little and get even more out of it. Raise it in one or two
    > increments which on most MBs is very little but can increase your cpu's
    > stability greatly in some cases. Most of the P4s ran a bit warm to begin
    > with, but the rule of thumb is to keep in the 60-65C or under when the cpu
    > is stressed to the max using something like Prime95 or Sandra. CoreTemp is
    > good monitoring tool. BF2 is pretty cpu intensive so, yes 200Mhz can make
    > fairly big difference in gameplay. I have a P4 2.8 (probably the same as
    > yours) in the other room running at 3.2Ghz very solidly with air cooling.
    > It
    > has been running that way for several years without a hitch at all. The
    > old
    > P4s just don't compare with the C2Ds and Quads for gaming enthusiasts, but
    > can get by fairly well in a lot of cases. My 2.8 didn't really run much
    > hotter with a bump up in core voltage than it did at stock voltage. I
    > really
    > don't remember what the base voltage was, but I think I only raised it two
    > increments on a P5GDC Deluxe Asus board.
    >
    > Ed

    I checked temps on both my CPU and GPU After running both with SETI
    cpu client and folding@home gpu client and both ran around 60 degrees
    c so I think I'm fine. I figured my CPU Was holding back my video
    card.

    You are fine. You might even be able to bump up the Vcore a bit and get a
    little more out of that P4. If the temps raise above 65C very much I
    wouldn't go a lot further. The CPU will throttle back when it gets up to
    75-80C to keep it from frying, so you can't burn up the processor with heat.
    An extremely high increase (usually more than 30%, but I try and not go
    above 15%) in Vcore can hurt a CPU, but conservative increases don't hurt it
    at all. All cpus are different, even in the same batch/steppings when it
    comes down to how far they will overclock. You could get up to 3.1-3.2Ghz
    out of it which is pretty good for a P4.

    Ed
    Ed Medlin, Sep 4, 2008