    know.

    Note, I am not using the onboard Intel 810E graphics but instead a 256
    mb NVidia GeForce fx5200.
    poachedeggs, Jan 15, 2009

  2. On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 11:38:34 -0800, poachedeggs wrote:

    > This is a stab in the dark, but I am using Mandriva 2009 with a 1.3 ghz
    > Fujitsu-Siemens Scenic T with D1371 Mainboard. The only area it falls
    > down is playing Flashplayer stuff e.g. via YouTube. I have the maximum
    > RAM installed, and anyway it's only using half that on average. The CPU
    > can be 90% used during these videos online. Can I tweak anything? I
    > know it's old, and I have a newish laptop for the heavy-duty stuff, but
    > if anything can be done to get this machine going as smooth as possible
    > I'd be interested. I don't understand overclocking, have never needed
    > to look into it before, so any replies could you keep them idiot-prood
    > please. Thanks.
    >
    > I've been told elsewhere I couldn't get a faster CPU in this machine
    > (socket 370 apparently), or maybe a 1.4 ghz which probably wouldn't be
    > worth it. If anyone knows it would take 1.6 or 1.8, I'd be pleased to
    > know.
    >
    > Note, I am not using the onboard Intel 810E graphics but instead a 256
    > mb NVidia GeForce fx5200.

    You probably can't overclock this machine. They generally don't put
    overclocking features into mainstream systems, it would be a support
    nightmare for them. Motherboards that are sold to build it yourselfers
    are overclockable.

    The only way to tell for user is to go into the BIOS and see if they gave
    you a means of changing the CPU clock.
    General Schvantzkoph, Jan 15, 2009

  3. poachedeggs

    Augustus Guest

    "poachedeggs" <> wrote in message
    > This is a stab in the dark, but I am using Mandriva 2009 with a 1.3
    > ghz Fujitsu-Siemens Scenic T with D1371 Mainboard. The only area it
    > falls down is playing Flashplayer stuff e.g. via YouTube. I have the
    > maximum RAM installed, and anyway it's only using half that on
    > average. The CPU can be 90% used during these videos online. Can I
    > tweak anything? I know it's old, and I have a newish laptop for the
    > heavy-duty stuff, but if anything can be done to get this machine
    > going as smooth as possible I'd be interested. I don't understand
    > overclocking, have never needed to look into it before, so any replies
    > could you keep them idiot-prood please. Thanks.
    >
    > I've been told elsewhere I couldn't get a faster CPU in this machine
    > (socket 370 apparently), or maybe a 1.4 ghz which probably wouldn't be
    > worth it. If anyone knows it would take 1.6 or 1.8, I'd be pleased to
    > know.
    >
    > Note, I am not using the onboard Intel 810E graphics but instead a 256
    > mb NVidia GeForce fx5200.

    Probably not possible to modify FSB or CPU clock ratio on a proprietary
    system. Max processor for that clock locked mb is 1.4Ghz. You generally will
    not notice a 100Mhz increase in speed, all other things being equal. A
    1.3Ghz PIII Celeron system with 512Mb of DDR should be adequate for web
    browsing an Flash animation. That's a Tualatin Celeron system, but the FSB
    is ramped down to 100Mhz from the standard 133Mhz for PIII Tualatin's and
    the L2 cache is 256Kb instead of 512Kb. Unless your m/b BIOS supports
    non-Celeron Tualatins, sticking a real 1.4Ghz Tualatin PIII in there will
    drop the expected processor speed from 1.4Ghz to 1.05Ghz due to the locked
    FSB while doubling the full speed L2 to 512Kb. Likely a bit slower. If it
    does support the 1.4Ghz PIII Tualatin, it would be worth it in my opinion
    because they're avalable for $10 on eBay and doubling your L2 and bossting
    the speed by 100Mhz should make some small difference. Make sure your system
    will support a 133FSB Tualatin and adjust FSB accordingly when detected or
    it's $10 plush shipping down the drain.
    Augustus, Jan 16, 2009