    to auto. Any advice or experience to indicate I should lock this at 100 MHz?

    Or, did I blow it by not just getting the 90W version of the 4600+?

    TIA!
    Peter van der Goes, Mar 25, 2007

  2. Peter van der Goes

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 11:34:33 -0500, Peter van der Goes wrote:

    > I have the subject combo with 4 gig DDR2 800. Runs fine at stock speeds.
    >
    > I have tried lowering the HTT to 4, lowering the RAM to DDR2 667, increasing
    > the RAM voltage from default 1.8v to 1.95v.
    > The best I can get out of FSB is 220 (10% overclock). I've read the default
    > CPU voltage is 1.20 - 1.25? Any idea where I can set this (limit)?

    That would normally be a function in the MB bios. If your bios doesn't let
    you adjust the CPU voltage, then you'll have to look into changing the
    default some other way (via the cpu pins). But I'd really be surprised if
    there wasn't a cpu voltage setting in the bios. Hint, Jumperfree
    Configuration -> Advanced Voltage Control. RTFM.:)

    > There is one other setting that may influence, the PCI-E speed is still
    > set to auto. Any advice or experience to indicate I should lock this at
    > 100 MHz?

    Won't hurt to lock it, but I've gone over 220 with mine at auto. Different
    MB and no PCIe devices.:)

    Wes Newell, Mar 25, 2007

  3. "Wes Newell" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 11:34:33 -0500, Peter van der Goes wrote:
    >
    >> I have the subject combo with 4 gig DDR2 800. Runs fine at stock speeds.
    >>
    >> I have tried lowering the HTT to 4, lowering the RAM to DDR2 667,
    >> increasing
    >> the RAM voltage from default 1.8v to 1.95v.
    >> The best I can get out of FSB is 220 (10% overclock). I've read the
    >> default
    >> CPU voltage is 1.20 - 1.25? Any idea where I can set this (limit)?
    >>

    > That would normally be a function in the MB bios. If your bios doesn't let
    > you adjust the CPU voltage, then you'll have to look into changing the
    > default some other way (via the cpu pins). But I'd really be surprised if
    > there wasn't a cpu voltage setting in the bios. Hint, Jumperfree
    > Configuration -> Advanced Voltage Control. RTFM.:)

    I must have been unclear. I can adjust the voltage, but I'm a bit unclear on
    how much is "safe".
    The specs I found indicate the voltage is "1.20 - 1.25v", a bit vague in
    itself.
    I was thinking 1.30 - 1.35v should be as high as I should go?

    >> There is one other setting that may influence, the PCI-E speed is still
    >> set to auto. Any advice or experience to indicate I should lock this at
    >> 100 MHz?
    >>

    > Won't hurt to lock it, but I've gone over 220 with mine at auto. Different
    > MB and no PCIe devices.:)

    OK, thanks for that. I'll try locking it and see if I can go up to 230.

    I appreciate your input, Wes. I know this is all trial and error in the
    main, so I'm going to try and err a biy more before settling for 220.
    Peter van der Goes, Mar 25, 2007
  4. Peter van der Goes

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 17:40:03 -0500, Peter van der Goes wrote:

    > I must have been unclear. I can adjust the voltage, but I'm a bit unclear on
    > how much is "safe".
    > The specs I found indicate the voltage is "1.20 - 1.25v", a bit vague in
    > itself.
    > I was thinking 1.30 - 1.35v should be as high as I should go?

    The specs don't mean anything as far as the voltage goes. that's the
    default voltage of that CPU to be classified as a XX watt cpu. The voltage
    on the same cpu rated at 89W is 1.40v. You will be safe all the way to
    1.55v and even beyond if you could go any higher. I've run my 89W X2 3800+
    at 1.55v and 2600MHz. Not a problem.

    > I appreciate your input, Wes. I know this is all trial and error in the
    > main, so I'm going to try and err a biy more before settling for 220.

    I never change it less than 33Mhz on the first try. Actually while 233Mhz
    gave me problems on some boards, they worked fine at 234Mhz. Less than
    33MHz FSB change isn't even worth the trouble IMO.

    Wes Newell, Mar 26, 2007
  5. Re: Overclocking Asus M2N-E/X2 4600+ (65W) ?4 Wes

    "Wes Newell" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 11:34:33 -0500, Peter van der Goes wrote:
    >
    >> I have the subject combo with 4 gig DDR2 800. Runs fine at stock speeds.
    >>
    >> I have tried lowering the HTT to 4, lowering the RAM to DDR2 667,
    >> increasing
    >> the RAM voltage from default 1.8v to 1.95v.
    >> The best I can get out of FSB is 220 (10% overclock). I've read the
    >> default
    >> CPU voltage is 1.20 - 1.25? Any idea where I can set this (limit)?
    >>

    > That would normally be a function in the MB bios. If your bios doesn't let
    > you adjust the CPU voltage, then you'll have to look into changing the
    > default some other way (via the cpu pins). But I'd really be surprised if
    > there wasn't a cpu voltage setting in the bios. Hint, Jumperfree
    > Configuration -> Advanced Voltage Control. RTFM.:)
    >
    >> There is one other setting that may influence, the PCI-E speed is still
    >> set to auto. Any advice or experience to indicate I should lock this at
    >> 100 MHz?
    >>

    > Won't hurt to lock it, but I've gone over 220 with mine at auto. Different
    > MB and no PCIe devices.:)
    >
    > --
    > Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
    > http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
    > My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
    > HD Tivo S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm

    Hi Wes:

    Is there any advantage to OC the PCIe bus? I always locked mine at 100 MHz
    and never messed with it, because the performance/stability
    trade-off seemed a bit sketchy. My primary interest is in number crunching
    not gaming.

    TIA,

    Pete
    Pete Harrington, Apr 28, 2007
  6. Peter van der Goes

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 12:19:26 -0400, Pete Harrington wrote:

    > Is there any advantage to OC the PCIe bus? I always locked mine at 100 MHz
    > and never messed with it, because the performance/stability
    > trade-off seemed a bit sketchy. My primary interest is in number crunching
    > not gaming.

    If you had a PCIe device that support faster speeds there might be an
    advantage to overclock it, but I really doubt it would be much.

    Wes Newell, Apr 28, 2007