Overclocking Asus P5B Deluxe versus abit IP35 Pro

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Ken, Mar 23, 2008.

  1. Ken

    Ken Guest

    I would appreciate a little help on understanding the difference between
    these two boards. I have the abit IP35 Pro/E6750 system slightly over
    clocked - all I did was increase the FSB to 400 and let her rip. I have not
    had even a hint of a problem and the temps seem pretty low with the standard
    Intel cooler. The Asus P5B Deluxe/E6600 system is running at the stock
    settings with a Zalman 9700 cooler. Both systems have 2 Gig of corsair 800
    DDR2 C4 memory running at 4-4-4-12 timings at 2.1 volts. Both systems have
    a Raid0 configuration. I just updated the Asus board to the latest 12.26
    BIOS version. The problem I am having is almost every time I make a change
    to one of the P5B BIOS Advanced settings the system shuts down and reboots
    (sometimes) and comes back with a message saying something to the effect
    that the BIOS settings need to be changed. Sometimes the system just hangs
    on the "auto reboot" and I have to turn the power off and back on again to
    get it to boot to the BIOS. I have had this issue since day one when I had
    to change the voltage and timings for the Corsair Memory. After the reboot
    I go into the BIOS and change nothing and the system boots up and runs
    normally with the new settings. Is this just the way ASUS P5B acts or is
    something wrong. I was never really concerned about this strange behavior
    until I got the abit IP35 Pro board and had zero "problems." The Asus
    system is over a year old and has never crashed or blue screened so it is
    very solid. I am just getting greedy and want it to run a little faster via
    over clocking.

    Ken, Mar 23, 2008

  2. Ken

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Ken' wrote, in part:
    >I would appreciate a little help on understanding the difference between
    >these two boards. I have the abit IP35 Pro/E6750 system slightly over
    >clocked - all I did was increase the FSB to 400 and let her rip. I have
    >not had even a hint of a problem and the temps seem pretty low with the
    >standard Intel cooler. The Asus P5B Deluxe/E6600 system is running at the
    >stock settings with a Zalman 9700 cooler.

    ..
    ..
    > The problem I am having is almost every time I make a change to one of the
    > P5B BIOS Advanced settings the system shuts down and reboots (sometimes)
    > and comes back with a message saying something to the effect that the BIOS
    > settings need to be changed. Sometimes the system just hangs on the "auto
    > reboot" and I have to turn the power off and back on again to get it to
    > boot to the BIOS.

    _____

    So far you haven't described a real problem. It may be you have an option
    in the BIOS you should change to avoid the hang.

    To actually overclock the CPU you may need to increase the CPU voltage.
    Since you can change the memory clock frequency : CPU clock frequency
    ratio, it is not necessary to overclock your DDR2 memory to overclock a 1333
    MHZ FSB Intel CPU. Why don't you try overclocking your ASUS motherboard
    system and post the results? You should easily get a 30% or greater
    overclock.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Mar 23, 2008

  3. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Well, I created a real problem - during the OCing session and all the bad
    things the MB was doing the #$%*ing Raid 0 Array became corrupted and I had
    to restore the system from scratch - not a good sign. Good thing I have
    little faith in Asus boards and keep many Acronis True Image backups on the
    network! Anyway, the only settings I was changing was the CPU Frequency -
    266 to 325, DRAM Frequency - Auto to DDR800 (all though Asus changes this
    value base on the CPU Frequency), PCI Express - Auto to 100, PCI Clock -
    Auto to 33.33, Spread Spectrum - Auto to Disabled and of course the Memory
    Voltage - SPD to 2.1 volts and the timings changed to 4-4-4-12. The Memory
    voltage and timings have been set to those values since day one without any
    problems. That is it. I was following the "Over clocking and Tweaking
    Guide -The Tech Repository Forums." It seems like when ever the DRAM
    frequency gets over 900 the system will not go beyond the boot screen that
    tells me to fix the Over clocking problem. I have built many computers but
    for some reason this MB does not like to have anything changed in the BIOS.

    Ken, Mar 23, 2008
  4. Ken

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Ken' wrote:
    > Well, I created a real problem - during the OCing session and all the bad
    > things the MB was doing the #$%*ing Raid 0 Array became corrupted and I
    > had to restore the system from scratch - not a good sign. Good thing I
    > have little faith in Asus boards and keep many Acronis True Image backups
    > on the network! Anyway, the only settings I was changing was the CPU
    > Frequency - 266 to 325, DRAM Frequency - Auto to DDR800 (all though Asus
    > changes this value base on the CPU Frequency), PCI Express - Auto to 100,
    > PCI Clock - Auto to 33.33, Spread Spectrum - Auto to Disabled and of
    > course the Memory Voltage - SPD to 2.1 volts and the timings changed to
    > 4-4-4-12. The Memory voltage and timings have been set to those values
    > since day one without any problems. That is it. I was following the
    > "Over clocking and Tweaking Guide -The Tech Repository Forums." It seems
    > like when ever the DRAM frequency gets over 900 the system will not go
    > beyond the boot screen that tells me to fix the Over clocking problem. I
    > have built many computers but for some reason this MB does not like to
    > have anything changed in the BIOS.

    _____

    You don't WANT the DRAM operating frequency above DDR2-800 UNTIL you
    otherwise have a stable CPU and motherboard overclock. Many motherboard
    manuals seem to be written in one language, proofed in a second language,
    edited in a third, then translated back a forth until the meanings are
    thoroughly confused. It may not be that your ASUS 965 chipset motherboard
    "does not like to have anything changed in the BIOS"; it may be that you are
    changing a parameter based on your reading of unclear instructions.

    Have you looked at the bottom of page 2-14 in your ASUS P5B Deluxe manual?
    The statement "Due to chipset limitation, DDR2-800 with CL=4 will be
    downgraded to run at DDR2-667 by default setting. If you want to operate
    with lower latency, adjust the memory timing manually."

    You have a peach in one hand (the Intel P35 chipset motherboard) and a moldy
    peach in the other (the Intel 965 chipset motherboard.) The statement above
    from the P5B Deluxe motherboard manual indicates some limitations of the
    much older Intel 965 chipset. You must unlink the memory clock speed from
    the FSB and set it to operate at DDR2-800 or lower, no matter what the FSB
    speed is.
    Did you jump to 325 to 266 directly? With no intervening steps? That's a
    22% jump, too much as an initial overclock attempt. Incremental steps
    closer to 5% are better. The CPU voltage may also need to be changed.
    Certainly a E6600 with a nominal 2.4 GHz speed should have no problem at 2.9
    GHz (most nominal 1.8 GHz E4300 CPUs have no problem with 2.9 GHz.) Memory
    and other BIOS settings are likely to be your problem, that and the 22%
    initial jump.

    I would also recommend NOT using RAID 0 when overclocking. It stands to
    reason that if you overclock a CPU and motherboard by giving up operating
    margins for speed, you should be especially careful not to do the same with
    your hard drive system... RAID 1 makes a lot more sense in such a case.

    Perhaps someone who actualy is overclocking an ASUS P5B Deluxe motherboard
    with an Intel E6600 will reply to your questions. If you look for posts by
    'Ed Medlin' you can read about his success running an Intel E6600 at 3.6
    GHz... but that was with a much more modern chipset than the Intel 965
    (nVidia 680i SLI).

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Mar 23, 2008
  5. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Yes, I did increment gradually and yes it did run "ok" with some minor
    increases but the board still "short circuited" every time I made a change
    and gave me the BIOS over clocking error. I don't understand why there are
    so many happy P5B Deluxe overclockers out there that have settings much
    higher than the ones I was playing with. I really think I have a defective
    board - every time I get near the BIOS it has to be rebooted twice or
    powered down and then restarted. Since I only want to do some moderate over
    clocking and trying to get a good replacement board out of Asus is a
    exercise in futility - been there done that with a P5P800 board - you pushed
    me over the edge - I'll buy another abit IP35 Pro and quite screwing around
    with the Asus board. It will be retired to running an old 3.2 Prescott
    heater. However, I sure would like hear from someone with this board to let
    me know what the heck I'm doing wrong. I'll try posting on the Asus site
    and see if I can get some action. Thanks for the help.

    Ken, Mar 24, 2008
  6. Ken

    Fishface Guest

    Ken wrote:
    > Anyway, the only settings I was changing was the CPU Frequency - 266 to 325, DRAM Frequency - Auto to DDR800 (all
    > though Asus
    > changes this value base on the CPU Frequency) < ... >

    Exactly what you don't want to do. By setting your memory to run
    at its rated speed from the start, you are removing all the overclocking
    headroom for which you bought the faster RAM. With your RAM set
    at DDR2-800 in the bios, increasing the CPU Frequency to 333 MHz
    results in trying to run your DDR2-800 at DDR2-1000 speed.

    Instead, if you set the memory to run at DDR2-533, at a CPU Frequency
    of 333 MHz, the RAM will then be running at DDR2-667, which is within
    it's capability.

    This must somehow makes sense to Chinese people, but the rest of us
    would be happier with a setting called "FSB:DRAM Ratio," which we
    could just set to 1:1.

    Fishface, Mar 27, 2008