Overclocking Intel Q6600 stepping B3 on Asus Striker Extreme

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by slipknot, Jan 19, 2008.

  1. slipknot

    slipknot Guest

    Hi,
    I have the folloving setup:
    -Asus Striker Extreme 680i SLI(Rev A2) BIOS 1401(latest)
    -Intel Q6600 2.4GHz stepping B3(i think that the stepping is important for
    subject)
    -XFX GeForce 8800 Ultra
    -2 x 1GB PC-6400 DDR2 800Mhz Patriot
    -Thermaltake Big Typhoon Air Cooler
    -Enermax Liberty EL620AWT 620W power supply
    The problem is following.Everybody talks abaut overclocking Q6600
    especially stepping G0(it overclock much better tham my B3) so I tried to
    overclock my and I failed in every step.
    Asus promotes Striker Extreme as overclocking/gamers MBO but I on it cant
    change any parameter(especially voltages) in BIOS because everything I do
    causes my computer to hang out.And I have to open my case to reset BIOS to
    default values to go my computer working(and lose warranty) .CPU parameter
    recall feature that mobo is supposed to have in my case doesnt work if I
    change voltages and instead of automaticcly reseting BIOS values to default
    I have to do it via jumper on motherboard.My latest unsuccesful attempt of
    overclocking was:
    (changein voltages)
    CPU Vcore=1.3(default) to 1.5
    NB core=1.25 to 1.5
    HT from 1.25 to 1.4
    The other voltages were set to auto
    (the boards really does offer to change voltages of many stuff)
    Bus Speed from 266MHz to 333Mhz
    Core speed from 9x266Mhz=2400MHz to 9x333Mhz=3000Mhz
    Rated FSB from 4x266=1066MHz to 4x333=1333Mhz
    FSB Memory Ratio 1:1
    And after I applied these setup my comuter is just hanging out so I have to
    clear CMOS mannualy.I tried various combinations of parameters for
    overclocking but nothing doesnt seem to work.So I am asking people who know
    much more abaut hardware than I do what went wrong.Am I having faulty
    CPU,or MBO or I am just simply doing something wrong.
    Thanks for answers!

    slipknot, Jan 19, 2008

  2. slipknot schrieb:
    > Hi,

    [snip]
    > So I am asking people who know
    > much more abaut hardware than I do what went wrong.Am I having faulty
    > CPU,or MBO or I am just simply doing something wrong.
    > Thanks for answers!

    That's how you should go about overclocking:
    First, increase the FSB in SMALL steps and see what happens.
    After you considerably increased the FSB (let's say 40-100MHz) you
    should do a CPU-stability test with software like Prime95.
    Watch the temperatures (with software like SpeedFan) while Prime95 runs.
    It should not go above 65°C under maximum load if you want to have a
    stable, safe overclocking system.
    Only when the CPU becomes unstable under load, yet the temperatures are
    okay, you should touch the vcore. The vcore is MUCH more dangerous to
    change than the FSB because it can hurt the CPU. Overclocking the FSB is
    nowadays not dangerous to your CPU.

    So first reset everything to default. Inrease the FSB (and the FSB
    only!) in small steps. See what happens and how far you can go. Watch
    the temperatures and run Prime95 (or other CPU-benchmarks) regularly.
    It's also wise to 'uncouple' the FSB from the RAM clockspeeds so your
    RAM will not be the reason for a failed overclock.

    I myself haven't had much success on my Q6600 G0, either. It didn't went
    anything above 3.0GHz, although it's watercooled and the temps are OK. I
    suspect my low PSU (470W) to be the cause of this, but I haven't found
    the time (nor the need) to test the overclockability with a bigger PSU.

    Regards,

    Daniel Albuschat

    Daniel Albuschat, Jan 19, 2008

  3. slipknot

    slipknot Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 13:01:17 +0100, Daniel Albuschat wrote:

    > slipknot schrieb:
    >> Hi,

    > [snip]
    >> So I am asking people who know
    >> much more abaut hardware than I do what went wrong.Am I having faulty
    >> CPU,or MBO or I am just simply doing something wrong.
    >> Thanks for answers!

    > That's how you should go about overclocking:
    > First, increase the FSB in SMALL steps and see what happens.
    > After you considerably increased the FSB (let's say 40-100MHz) you
    > should do a CPU-stability test with software like Prime95.
    > Watch the temperatures (with software like SpeedFan) while Prime95 runs.
    > It should not go above 65°C under maximum load if you want to have a
    > stable, safe overclocking system.
    > Only when the CPU becomes unstable under load, yet the temperatures are
    > okay, you should touch the vcore. The vcore is MUCH more dangerous to
    > change than the FSB because it can hurt the CPU. Overclocking the FSB is
    > nowadays not dangerous to your CPU.
    >
    > So first reset everything to default. Inrease the FSB (and the FSB
    > only!) in small steps. See what happens and how far you can go. Watch
    > the temperatures and run Prime95 (or other CPU-benchmarks) regularly.
    > It's also wise to 'uncouple' the FSB from the RAM clockspeeds so your
    > RAM will not be the reason for a failed overclock.
    >
    > I myself haven't had much success on my Q6600 G0, either. It didn't went
    > anything above 3.0GHz, although it's watercooled and the temps are OK. I
    > suspect my low PSU (470W) to be the cause of this, but I haven't found
    > the time (nor the need) to test the overclockability with a bigger PSU.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Daniel Albuschat

    Thanks very much for Your answer!

    slipknot, Jan 19, 2008
  4. slipknot

    Fishface Guest

    slipknot wrote:
    > FSB Memory Ratio 1:1

    I *think* it needs to be 2:1 or leave it on the synced setting,
    or you will be trying to run it twice as fast as you expect, since
    it is "double data rate."

    Fishface, Jan 19, 2008
  5. slipknot

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Fishface" typed:
    > slipknot wrote:
    >> FSB Memory Ratio 1:1

    > I *think* it needs to be 2:1 or leave it on the synced setting,
    > or you will be trying to run it twice as fast as you expect, since
    > it is "double data rate."

    Indeed, I was going to say the same thing. slipknot is trying to run DDR2
    800 at 1333. It's extremely doubtful that it'll do that. My DDR2 800 manages
    900 no problems at SPD timings and 1.8V. (I haven't tried it any faster).
    However. I'd be *extremely* surprised it it ran at 1066 at defualt VDIMM (or
    at all), yet alone 1333.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 23, 2008
  6. slipknot

    Phil Weldon Guest

    '~misfit~' wrote:
    | Indeed, I was going to say the same thing. slipknot is trying to run DDR2
    | 800 at 1333. It's extremely doubtful that it'll do that. My DDR2 800
    manages
    | 900 no problems at SPD timings and 1.8V. (I haven't tried it any faster).
    | However. I'd be *extremely* surprised it it ran at 1066 at defualt VDIMM
    (or
    | at all), yet alone 1333.
    _____

    I agree with you. I have found that my Patriot eXtreme 2 X 1 GByte
    DDR2-1066 (PC8500) on an EVGA 680i motherboard works well at 1200 MHz (1 : 1
    CPU clock : Memory clock ratio) and 2.3 v (the extended SPD 'SLI Ready'
    indicates 2.3 volts as the default for DDR2-1066 operation). It CERTAINLY
    will not do 1333 MHz at 1 :1 (not that 1 : 1 is a whole lot better than 2 :
    1).

    Blame the confusion about DDR2 memory and the CPU Clock : Memory Clock
    ratio on the drive in the first half of 2007 by memory vendors to justify
    the extremely high prices then charged for DDR2-800 and faster memory (I
    paid $100 US per GByte in early April 2007 for my DDR2-1066).

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Jan 23, 2008