    Has anyone here overclocked the Q6700 using the C2sbx what setting did you
    use?

    Thank you.
    master Lee, Jul 14, 2009

  2. master Lee

    Paul Guest

    master Lee wrote:
    > Hello All
    > I have a Supermicro C2SBX X38 motherboard and a Q6700 and arctic coooler
    > freezer 7 pro.
    > Has anyone here overclocked the Q6700 using the C2sbx what setting did you
    > use?
    >
    > Thank you.

    The BIOS has nothing of value in it. The board doesn't
    appear to be intended for overclocking.

    http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/X38/MNL-0943.pdf

    There are a couple potential ways to overclock

    1) BSEL and Vcore boost mods. These would be hardware mods.
    BSEL is a set of contacts on the bottom of the processor.
    It allows the processor, to tell the clock generator, what
    speed to use. Your processor is FSB1066 (266MHz). By
    changing the BSEL signals (fooling the clock generator),
    you could jump to FSB1333 (333MHz). Your core speed becomes
    (1333/1066) * 2.66GHz = 3.33GHz core speed.

    Depending on how large a jump is involved, a processor may
    need more Vcore. On my motherboard, I did a BSEL mod, but
    I also boosted my Vcore. I have a resistor on the board, that
    sets the Vcore boost. I experimented with an extra 0.1V over
    the normal Vcore value.

    These are hardware intensive techniques. I had to take the
    motherboard out of the case a couple times, used my soldering
    iron and so on. This is OK if you're an engineer or technologist,
    who has done something like this before. Or if you've been
    overclocking for a lot of years, and can solder OK.

    2) Overclocking in Windows. This depends on a utility and its
    ability to operate the clock generator chip. Only a limited
    number of clock generator chip types are supported. The
    clockgen program from cpuid.com used to be the tool to use,
    but I think this one is still being updated. You have to look on
    the motherboard, spot the clockgen chip, and read the part
    number from the top (not always easy to do).

    http://www13.plala.or.jp/setfsb/

    If you're serious about overclocking, get another motherboard :)
    You'll soon grow tired of the above style of hacking. A real
    enthusiast motherboard, provides all the tools you need in
    the BIOS screens. By overclocking via the BIOS, the benefits
    can be seen no matter what OS you use.

    Good luck,
    Paul
    Paul, Jul 14, 2009