Overclocking sucess XP 2500+ Barton on ASRock K7S8XE V3.0

Discussion in 'ASRock' started by Andreas Scheer, Oct 22, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    just for information:
    AMD XP2500+ Barton (166 MHz fsb) runs here with fsb 200 on the new ASRock
    K7S8XE V3.0 prime95 stable for hours without rising up the vcore: 2,2 GHz
    physical clock. Related to AMDs p-rating it should be around XP3200+. The
    cpu stepping is AQZEA.RAM: MDT PC3200, 512 MB, CL 2,5. The cpu temperature
    under load is 53°C only (room 21°C). The cooler is a Arctic Copper Silent
    pro 2 TC.

    Next days I will try to increase the multi from 11 to 12.

    So far it's a fantastic cpu, I got the last one with this stepping from my
    dealer :)

    Bye
    Andreas (Germany)

    1. Advertising

  2. Cheah TE

    Cheah TE Guest

    | without rising up the vcore

    AMD's default Vcore`s seem always unnecessarily high : my K6III400
    & D750's 2.4 & 1.6v are enough for 460 & 825mhz : waste
    electricity & aircon bill [ii] produce useless & dreadful ( *esp in hot
    climate ) heat for users who don't OC [iii] the excess heat slow cpu &
    n-bridge [iv] reduce maximum ambient tmprtre acceptable*, life of cpu
    & n-bridge, own popularity* & sales.

    1. Advertising

  3. > Next days I will try to increase the multi from 11 to 12.

    Did it yesterday:

    206 MHz fsb, 11x , Vcore at default & +5%, -> didn't boot
    200 MHz fsb, 11,5x, Vcore at default -> hangs during boot
    200 MHz fsb, 11,5x, Vcore +5% -> is running, but not stable in prime95
    200 MHz fsb, 12x, Vcore +5% -> didn't boot
    202 MHz fsb, 11x, Vcore at default -> runs prime stable, and so I will let
    it work. This corresponds to a p-rating of XP 3220+ (regarding Central Brain
    Identifier).

    I could surely try to lower the fsb to get the chance for higher the multi,
    but for me the fsb has first priority to improve the bottleneck between cpu
    & ram.

    The K7S8XE does not supports to adjust the voltage by a certain value, there
    is just only one option in the bios to increase the vcore by 5%.

    Bye
    Andreas

  4. Ed

    Ed Guest

  5. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 08:46:30 +0200, Andreas Scheer wrote:

    > The K7S8XE does not supports to adjust the voltage by a certain value, there
    > is just only one option in the bios to increase the vcore by 5%.

    One piece of wire in the socket will get you 1.85v + 5% (if you want it),
    almost 1.95v.

  6. Wes Newell wrote:

    > One piece of wire in the socket will get you 1.85v + 5% (if you want
    > it), almost 1.95v.

    Thanks for your suggestion, but I decided to live with 200x11 until I really
    need more power. My system is rather fast now and with 53°C acceptable warm,
    in spite of air cooling. I will enjoy it for a while ;-)

    Bye
    Andreas

  7. mark

    mark Guest

    3200rating is nice, I have mine running like that at 1.75vcore. But in
    sandra it compares to a 2700xp TB cpu.