Overclocking the PB 600 MB.

Discussion in 'Packard Bell' started by Jerry, Sep 26, 2007.

  1. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Hello,,,,,,

    The following instructions have been found to speed up
    (overcloking????) the PB 600 MB 100MHZ Pentium (Ithink????):

    1. J30 closed
    2. J31 closed
    3. J32 Closed
    4. J28 the two inside pins connected

    Would like to understand the following:

    1. What speed should be expected?
    2. Will this require a cooling fan?

    THANKS!!!!! :) :)

    Jerry

    Jerry, Sep 26, 2007

  2. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Hello,,,,

    OPPPSSS,,,this appears to be my confusion of pin settings for other
    CPU's (????) rather than overclocking (????).

    Jerry

    Jerry, Sep 26, 2007

  3. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Hello,,,, :) :)

    OK,,,now that some general information about overclocking has been
    found it looks like this is the method to do this. So, I have added a
    few more questions:

    1. Has anyone done this to a PB 600 MB (100mhz Intell)?

    2. Is it worth it to overclock the PB 600 Intell 100Mhz CPU and if so
    did the new pin settings provide noticable better performance?

    3. Can it be set to P133?

    Currently it looks like the advise I am seeing on the Internet
    recommends not to do this. And I am leaning in that direction. But, if
    anyone has done this and has had no problems it would be nice to know
    their experience.

    THANKS!!!!

    Jerry

    Jerry, Sep 26, 2007
  4. Hi Jerry !

    Overclocking. Ah, a subject that has been discussed at length. :)

    First off, there isn't a whole lot you can do. Your Socket 5 board has a max
    capability of 133MHz, with "standard" stuff.

    2X66MHz FSB

    Your 100MHz CPU is already running at it's maximum. *IF* you had had a 90MHz
    CPU, running 1.5X60MHz, , you could set it at 66MHz, and get it to run
    100MHz. ( 1.5X66MHz)

    ( Note: I almost always ran a 50 or 60Mhz FSB CPU at 66MHz FSB "back in the
    day". I never had a problem. Now before everyone sharpens their pencils, and
    types that THEY had a problem, please keep in mind that I said *I* never had
    a problem. Intel is pretty conservative with their CPU's, and I have rarely
    seen one that would not run a slightly faster FSB. Note that I haven't typed
    anything about changing the muliplier. I NEVER got that to work
    personally. )

    Your 100MHz CPU will not run at 2X clock multiplier. So you're going to have
    to get a 133MHz CPU to run this board at it's fastest speed. You *can* use a
    150, 166, or 200MHz CPU by the way to do this. Simply clock them at 2X66MHz,
    and they will run 133MHz.

    Now, if you want a Socket 5 board to go faster, you have a couple of
    options. You can get an Intel POD 200MHz Overdrive CPU, simply plug it in
    ( usually), and it will run at 3X66MHz for 200MHz. *Most* of the time, you
    don't need to fiddle with the BIOS, but I believe you have already updated
    yours anyway.

    Another option is to locate an Evergreen 400MHz upgrade CPU. This is
    basically an AMD 400MHz K6-2 CPU on an interposer with voltage regulator,
    allowing a 6X66MHz setting. These occasionally show up on eBay. Not too
    expensive. I have a couple of these running successfully in old PB boards.
    Both are Socket 7 though. I have no doubt however that they would work on a
    Socket 5 board. If you manage to find one, be sure to get one in "kit" form,
    because they come with a Mr. Bios upgrade necessary to recognize this CPU.

    Frankly, the biggest problem is the lack of L2 cache with most PB boards.
    The Platinum series has 256K L2, and they are the ones to get. This really
    speeds things up. I would rather have a board with L2 cache and a slightly
    slower CPU than a faster CPU and no L2.

    Hope that helps.

    bob

    Robert E. Watts, Sep 26, 2007
  5. Jerry

    Ben Myers Guest

    You can install a 133MHz Pentium CPU in the system with no problem. Nominal
    speedup.

    No overclocking possible.

    You can also install a 200MHz Pentium OverDrive in the beast, if you can find
    one. Noticeable speedup. I might have one in the rubble of computer parts
    here... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 26, 2007
  6. Jerry

    metronid Guest

    On Sep 26, 5:17 pm, Ben Myers <>
    wrote:
    > You can install a 133MHz Pentium CPU in the system with no problem. Nominal
    > speedup.
    >
    > No overclocking possible.
    >
    > You can also install a 200MHz Pentium OverDrive in the beast, if you can find
    > one. Noticeable speedup. I might have one in the rubble of computer parts
    > here... Ben Myers
    >

    > On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:41:01 GMT, Jerry <> wrote:
    > >Hello,,,, :) :)

    > >OK,,,now that some general information about overclocking has been
    > >found it looks like this is the method to do this. So, I have added a
    > >few more questions:

    > > 1. Has anyone done this to a PB 600 MB (100mhz Intell)?

    > > 2. Is it worth it to overclock the PB 600 Intell 100Mhz CPU and if so
    > > did the new pin settings provide noticable better performance?

    > > 3. Can it be set to P133?

    > >Currently it looks like the advise I am seeing on the Internet
    > >recommends not to do this. And I am leaning in that direction. But, if
    > >anyone has done this and has had no problems it would be nice to know
    > >their experience.

    > >THANKS!!!!

    > >Jerry

    > >On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:14:12 GMT, Jerry <> wrote:

    > >>Hello,,,,

    > >>OPPPSSS,,,this appears to be my confusion of pin settings for other
    > >>CPU's (????) rather than overclocking (????).

    > >>Jerry

    Just for reference
    j32 is the multiplier
    out is 1.5x in is 2.0
    j30 31 sets the bus
    out out is 50mhz
    in out is 60mhz
    in in is 66mhz

    Can anyone guess what out in is

    A 200mhz uses its own multiplier I believe
    probably 66 times 3

    I belive the above to be true
    based only on observation and deduction

    metronid, Sep 27, 2007
  7. Jerry

    metronid Guest

    On Sep 26, 10:26 pm, metronid <> wrote:
    > On Sep 26, 5:17 pm, Ben Myers <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > > You can install a 133MHz Pentium CPU in the system with no problem. Nominal
    > > speedup.

    > > No overclocking possible.

    > > You can also install a 200MHz Pentium OverDrive in the beast, if you can find
    > > one. Noticeable speedup. I might have one in the rubble of computer parts
    > > here... Ben Myers

    > > On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:41:01 GMT, Jerry <> wrote:
    > > >Hello,,,, :) :)

    > > >OK,,,now that some general information about overclocking has been
    > > >found it looks like this is the method to do this. So, I have added a
    > > >few more questions:

    > > > 1. Has anyone done this to a PB 600 MB (100mhz Intell)?

    > > > 2. Is it worth it to overclock the PB 600 Intell 100Mhz CPU and if so
    > > > did the new pin settings provide noticable better performance?

    > > > 3. Can it be set to P133?

    > > >Currently it looks like the advise I am seeing on the Internet
    > > >recommends not to do this. And I am leaning in that direction. But, if
    > > >anyone has done this and has had no problems it would be nice to know
    > > >their experience.

    > > >THANKS!!!!

    > > >Jerry

    > Just for reference
    > j32 is the multiplier
    > out is 1.5x in is 2.0
    > j30 31 sets the bus
    > out out is 50mhz
    > in out is 60mhz
    > in in is 66mhz
    >
    > Can anyone guess what out in is
    >
    > A 200mhz uses its own multiplier I believe
    > probably 66 times 3
    >
    > I belive the above to be true
    > based only on observation and deduction- Hide quoted text -

    Also for some chipsets the multiplication can be changed
    in Windows with certain questionable programs
    I do not believe it works here
    Mainly for AMD processors

    Intel has been known to manufacturer same CPU and just mark it with 2
    different
    Speeds as they did with their PODP

    In any case most any CPU's will withstand a 10% variance

    metronid, Sep 27, 2007
  8. Jerry

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes, but the 200MHz Pentium OverDrive ignores the clock multiplier settings and
    only cares about the bus setting. Intel made this one easy to install, and it
    was perhaps Intel's best effort ever at an OverDrive processor, except that it
    provided not too much bang for the buck when coming from a 100MHz CPU. It also
    works in both Socket 5 and Socket 7. Set the bus speed to 66Mhz, pop in the
    CPU, connect up the fan power, and off you go.

    Maybe even more successful was the 100MHz 486 Pentium OverDrive. You felt like
    you were flying if you put it in a motherboard in place of 25MHz 486 or, better
    still, the early 20MHz 486. But that was back in the days where clock
    multipliers really meant something, as in 2x, 3x, and 4x, the latter for an AMD
    133MHz 486 workalike.

    Nowadays with the Pentium 4 systems, there is no too much benefit going from a
    2,0GHz P4 to a 2.6Ghz one, for example... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 27, 2007
  9. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Hello All ,,,,,, :) :)

    THANKS for all the advise.

    And, the more I think about it, I have been satisfied with the PB 600
    MB 100MHz performance, especially after it was upgraded to W98SE and
    memory added to 48MB. The additional memeory made a noticable increase
    in performance!

    Based on this discussion and othrers, overclocking or swithcing to a
    different CPU is not necessary based on the performance being
    experienced. In the beginning of this Subject the idea was to see if
    this could be done for this cpu and what if any noticaable diffenece
    was experienced. If acceptable then learn how to do it. Mostly,
    general suggestions for any cpu was "not to overclock". While others
    have had reported success in overclocking their particular cpu. What
    has been mentioned here as well as other searches related to this
    Subject, the thought for this cpu (Intel Pentium at 100Mhz) is to go
    with more or additional memories if the slots and or space is
    available. It certainly is for 48MB RAM to go to 136.

    I am looking at the specs and board to see if any furhter memories
    can be added or installed. It is certain that more RAM can be
    installed.

    THANKS for your time, help, and advise!!!!

    Jerry

    Jerry, Sep 27, 2007
  10. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Hello Bob,,,,,, :) :)

    OK,,,,,I just dug through my records that I had printed out from this
    Group relating to ~~~600 Upgrades~~~. That was a long time ago and I
    had forgotten I had these. I am surprised I still had them (vintagee
    Group dat 1997-2003). And, I apologize for any inconvience.

    Based on the dicussion here and those other listings along with the
    pin orientaion listed on the specs for the 600MB, I now see the
    default delivery for that board is set for max cpu as you mentioned
    below. Next time I get a look at the MB I will make sure these are the
    same. They should be because it was purchased new "off the shelf".

    The pin orientation for J31 is set default as Host Bus Frequency at
    50/60 Mhz and I doubt that setting it to 66Mhz would show any
    "eye-ball popping" noticable increase in performance.

    Thanks for your help!!!!!! :) :)

    Jerry, Sep 27, 2007
  11. Jerry

    Ben Myers Guest

    If you think the system performed a lot better with 48MB, why not go for the
    full boat of 4x32MB 72-pin SIMMs? It would be nice if you had one of the
    motherboard with cache memory, rather than one without... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 27, 2007
  12. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Hello Ben,,,,, :) :)

    OK and Thanks,,,just tooka look at the specifications and it says the
    followng:

    PB 600 Mother Board:

    CACHE: 16KB L1 (Internal) write-back Cache (integrated in the CPU).
    256KB L2 (External) write-through with write buffers cache soldered
    on the motherboard.

    And, based on the suggestions in this dicussion thread that is the
    plan to add more memory both RAM and others where possible.

    THANKS!!!!!! :) :)

    Jerry

    Jerry, Sep 27, 2007
  13. HI Jerry !

    ( comments below )

    "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Bob,,,,,, :) :)
    >

    > OK,,,,,I just dug through my records that I had printed out from this
    > Group relating to ~~~600 Upgrades~~~. That was a long time ago and I
    > had forgotten I had these. I am surprised I still had them (vintagee
    > Group dat 1997-2003). And, I apologize for any inconvience.
    >
    > Based on the dicussion here and those other listings along with the
    > pin orientaion listed on the specs for the 600MB, I now see the
    > default delivery for that board is set for max cpu as you mentioned
    > below. Next time I get a look at the MB I will make sure these are the
    > same. They should be because it was purchased new "off the shelf".
    >
    > The pin orientation for J31 is set default as Host Bus Frequency at
    > 50/60 Mhz and I doubt that setting it to 66Mhz would show any
    > "eye-ball popping" noticable increase in performance.

    Actually, when you set the FSB ( front side bus ) speed to 66MHz, as opposed
    to 50 or 60MHz, you are not just increasing the speed of the CPU. Even more
    importantly, you are "speeding" up the motherboard. The I/O access is
    faster, PCI slot ( video too! ) is faster ( max speed of 33Mhz), and memory
    read/write speed is faster. This is a very noticeable increase in speed. And
    66Mhz is not really "overclocking". Almost all components are designed to
    handle this speed.

    Aftermarket clone boards had settings of 75 and 83MHz ( and some had even
    more settings, sometimes in 1MHz increments ). This would REALLY speed
    things up, but sometimes created problems with some components. Certain
    CPU's like the Cyrix were designed to run at 75MHz, but other components (
    cheap ones usually ) had problems with this.

    Then of course the Super Socket 7 boards came along, with speeds of 100Mhz
    and beyond.

    Intel practically never allows "overclocking" on their boards, and since I'm
    not a big overclocker, I never cared. I prefer Intel motherboards ( now )
    over almost everything else. Simply the most stable boards there are ( in my
    opinion ). And PB used a lot of Intel boards.

    I read that you mention your board has 256K of L2 cache. Good for you. This
    is about the best you can do when it comes to a PB board, and it really
    helps. Does your case say "Platinum" on it? My *research* indicates that
    after Socket 4 boards, only the Platinum designated PB computers have L2
    cache. I have yet to see one with 512k.

    bob

    Robert E. Watts, Sep 28, 2007
  14. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Hello Bob,,,, :) :)

    OK,,,,I'll give the J31 a try and set it to 66MHz.

    Based on your comments it must be an "eye-popping" or at least some
    visually noticable difference,,,,,especially in I/O ~~~~(PCI, Video,
    and Memory I/O) .

    This looks like a case of---- "so what,,,,it ain't gonna hurt to set
    it to 66MHz",,,,, and there will probably be some visual notice of
    increased performance,,,If so or If not,,,then so be it!

    Would this include the the I/O for the IDE/ATAPI interface for
    disk,tape, cd, and other related I/O devices (floppy????) ?

    Based on your description I hope I am beginning to see more about
    "What's What" in this PB 600 MB specification for these jumpers.

    It appears the J31 "Host Bus Freqeuncy" is the "Front Side Bus
    Frequency" which affects I/Ocomponens on the MB, etc. on the MB.

    What does the jumper J30 "Host Bus Freqeuncy" affect?

    And, the J32 "Host core freq. Multiplier" looks like it affects the
    speed of the CPU-----(overclocking????).

    Looking up the term "Host Bus Frequency" on the the Internet was too
    many to read but the ones that were read did not help to identiify
    what specifically was affected. I would think that the availablity of
    these type jumpers on a motherboard vary from one MB to another as
    well as what specifcally is provided by these type jumpers which may
    also vary from MB to MB (????).

    Please excuse me if these are stupid questions and statements,,,
    correct me if the statement is incorrect ,,,,the last time I delt wth
    disk I/O and tape I/O, etc. was before the term DMA was on the
    horizon,,,,,

    THANKS,,,,,,

    Jerry

    Jerry, Sep 28, 2007
  15. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Hello Bob,,, :) :)

    OPPPSSS ,,,, Sorry,,,,

    No, it does not say Platinum on the front panel,,,,so, I will run a
    process that I have and it will ID and quantify the stuff on the MB.

    THANKS!!!! :) :)

    Jerry

    Jerry, Sep 28, 2007
  16. Hello Jerry !

    Wait, you said you're running a 100MHz CPU, right ?

    That means you are already at 66MHz FSB. 1.5X66MHz= 100MHz

    And no, the difference is not at all eyepopping, just better. 8=)

    I haven't studied your jumpers, the description is easy to find on the
    internet. In any event, the only ones you can play with are the frequency
    jumpers ( whichever that is. )

    Don't bother changing the multiplier. That CPU will run slower, but it won't
    run at 2X. You will need a 133, 150, 166, or 200 CPU for that. See my

    bob

    Robert E. Watts, Sep 28, 2007
  17. Jerry

    mdp Guest

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Yes, but the 200MHz Pentium OverDrive ignores the clock multiplier
    > settings and only cares about the bus setting. Intel made this one
    > easy to install, and it was perhaps Intel's best effort ever at an
    > OverDrive processor, except that it provided not too much bang for
    > the buck when coming from a 100MHz CPU. It also works in both
    > Socket 5 and Socket 7. Set the bus speed to 66Mhz, pop in the CPU,
    > connect up the fan power, and off you go.
    >
    > Maybe even more successful was the 100MHz 486 Pentium OverDrive. You
    > felt like you were flying if you put it in a motherboard in place of
    > 25MHz 486 or, better still, the early 20MHz 486. But that was back
    > in the days where clock multipliers really meant something, as in 2x,
    > 3x, and 4x, the latter for an AMD 133MHz 486 workalike.
    >
    > Nowadays with the Pentium 4 systems, there is no too much benefit
    > going from a 2,0GHz P4 to a 2.6Ghz one, for example... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:26:02 -0700, metronid <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Sep 26, 5:17 pm, Ben Myers <>
    >> wrote:
    >>> You can install a 133MHz Pentium CPU in the system with no problem.
    >>> Nominal speedup.
    >>>
    >>> No overclocking possible.
    >>>
    >>> You can also install a 200MHz Pentium OverDrive in the beast, if
    >>> you can find one. Noticeable speedup. I might have one in the
    >>> rubble of computer parts here... Ben Myers

    >> Just for reference
    >> j32 is the multiplier
    >> out is 1.5x in is 2.0
    >> j30 31 sets the bus
    >> out out is 50mhz
    >> in out is 60mhz
    >> in in is 66mhz
    >>
    >> Can anyone guess what out in is
    >>
    >> A 200mhz uses its own multiplier I believe
    >> probably 66 times 3
    >>

    >> I belive the above to be true
    >> based only on observation and deduction

    I noticed a significant boost from 100MHz to the OD 200MHz, a lot of it due
    to the MMX.

    mdp, Sep 29, 2007
  18. Jerry

    mdp Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > Hello,,,,,,
    >
    > The following instructions have been found to speed up
    > (overcloking????) the PB 600 MB 100MHZ Pentium (Ithink????):
    >
    > 1. J30 closed
    > 2. J31 closed
    > 3. J32 Closed
    > 4. J28 the two inside pins connected
    >

    > Would like to understand the following:
    >
    > 1. What speed should be expected?
    > 2. Will this require a cooling fan?
    >
    > THANKS!!!!! :) :)
    >
    > Jerry

    You might consider a Powerleap adapter and a K6-2 400MHz CPU (if a K6-3
    works the difference will be dramatic). Some other upgrade stories here:

    http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/lakes/8774/upstory/pb600.html

    Other general info here:

    http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/8774/pb600.html

    http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/8774/cpu.html

    mdp, Sep 29, 2007
  19. Jerry

    Ben Myers Guest

    The OP would have to make sure that the Powerleap kit includes the necessary
    BIOS modifications to allow the BIOS to recognize the non-Intel CPU... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 29, 2007
  20. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Hello Bob,,,,

    OK,,,, and based on the Jumper settings in the specs as default with
    the astric (*) mark these are the following:

    J30 Host Bus Frequency * In 60/66 MHz
    Out 50 MHz

    J31 Host Bus Frequency In 66 MHz
    * Out 50/60 MHz

    J32 Host Core Freq. Multiplier * In 2 X
    Out 1.5X

    As far as overclocking or speeding up this CPU, it apears it came that
    way from the factory.......

    However, I do not know what the J31 jumper controls?

    And, I had made the last entries at the bottom in this Newsgroup
    THREAD before I found this one from you.

    THANKS for your time, help, and advice!!!! :) :)

    Jerry

    Jerry, Oct 1, 2007