Overclocking - Whats the worst that can happen

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Mighty, Sep 29, 2006.

  1. Mighty

    Mighty Guest

    Hello All,

    I want to start by saying I am not too computer minded as I just
    upgraded memory by 1 gig to increase speed...

    ...I now know it is the processor speed that increases speed so I would
    like to know what is the worst that can happen if I overclock?

    I have a amd 3000+ venice running at 1.8ghz - I have read I can get it
    up to the late 2ghz so I would like to give this a go... If the worst
    that can happen is the processor breaks I will just get the 3700and san
    diego but if I can save 80quid I will

    Any advice for an idiot will be greatly appreciated (if you can give me
    a link to a step by step walkthrough too I would really appreciate that
    as I have been searching and to be honest I have come up with nothing)

    Thanks for your help

    Mighty, Sep 29, 2006

  2. Mighty

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 06:32:36 -0700, Mighty wrote:

    > Hello All,
    >
    > I want to start by saying I am not too computer minded as I just
    > upgraded memory by 1 gig to increase speed...
    >
    > ..I now know it is the processor speed that increases speed so I would
    > like to know what is the worst that can happen if I overclock?
    >
    > I have a amd 3000+ venice running at 1.8ghz - I have read I can get it
    > up to the late 2ghz so I would like to give this a go... If the worst
    > that can happen is the processor breaks I will just get the 3700and san
    > diego but if I can save 80quid I will
    >
    > Any advice for an idiot will be greatly appreciated (if you can give me
    > a link to a step by step walkthrough too I would really appreciate that
    > as I have been searching and to be honest I have come up with nothing)

    Haven't read it, but looks long enough to cover everything.

    http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=300

    Short form. Lower HT speed. Lower base ram speed, increase system
    frequency, raise cpu voltage as required.

    Wes Newell, Sep 29, 2006

  3. Mighty wrote:

    > Hello All,
    >
    > I want to start by saying I am not too computer minded as I just
    > upgraded memory by 1 gig to increase speed...
    >
    > ..I now know it is the processor speed that increases speed so I would
    > like to know what is the worst that can happen if I overclock?
    >
    > I have a amd 3000+ venice running at 1.8ghz - I have read I can get it
    > up to the late 2ghz so I would like to give this a go... If the worst
    > that can happen is the processor breaks I will just get the 3700and san
    > diego but if I can save 80quid I will
    >
    > Any advice for an idiot will be greatly appreciated (if you can give me
    > a link to a step by step walkthrough too I would really appreciate that
    > as I have been searching and to be honest I have come up with nothing)
    >
    > Thanks for your help

    From my limited experience, the worst thing is that you'll experience a
    series of BSODs, lock-ups and/or memory errors.

    Getting the processor to run at 2.0ghz is pretty much a no brainer.
    That's barely above 10% increase. You may not even see any difference.

    I saw a difference between the 3000 Venice and 3700 San Diego, but it
    wasn't huge.

    Merrill P. L. Worthington, Sep 29, 2006
  4. Mighty

    Dylan C Guest

    Merrill P. L. Worthington wrote:

    > Mighty wrote:
    >
    >> Hello All,
    >>
    >> I want to start by saying I am not too computer minded as I just
    >> upgraded memory by 1 gig to increase speed...
    >>
    >> ..I now know it is the processor speed that increases speed so I would
    >> like to know what is the worst that can happen if I overclock?
    >>
    >> I have a amd 3000+ venice running at 1.8ghz - I have read I can get it
    >> up to the late 2ghz so I would like to give this a go... If the worst
    >> that can happen is the processor breaks I will just get the 3700and san
    >> diego but if I can save 80quid I will
    >>
    >> Any advice for an idiot will be greatly appreciated (if you can give me
    >> a link to a step by step walkthrough too I would really appreciate that
    >> as I have been searching and to be honest I have come up with nothing)
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help
    >>

    > From my limited experience, the worst thing is that you'll experience a
    > series of BSODs, lock-ups and/or memory errors.
    >
    > Getting the processor to run at 2.0ghz is pretty much a no brainer.
    > That's barely above 10% increase. You may not even see any difference.
    >
    > I saw a difference between the 3000 Venice and 3700 San Diego, but it
    > wasn't huge.

    I actually ruined a motherboard doing this. I was playing around with
    an XP-M 2600+ on an Abit NF7. If I recall, I wasn't even
    "overclocking." I was adjusting the FSB and multiplier values to
    acheive stock CPU speeds, but at an different FSB speeds.

    For example, I think the chip ran at 133MHz*15=2000MHz. I was
    benchmarking it at 166*12=2000MHz and 200*10=2000MHz (without any
    voltage changes) when suddenly the machine stopped booting. Did alot of
    troubleshooting and narrowed it down to a dead motherboard. I've never
    heard of this happening to anyone else, so I'm skeptical that it died as
    a result of my "overclocking", especially since the CPU was undamaged
    and continued to work fine.

    However, it did die, and you asked whats the worst that could happen.
    Its also worth noting that I had owned the CPU for ~2 years and it had
    been overclocked to 2.5GHz for the first 6-12 months, after that time, I
    kept it at 12*166.

    -Dylan C

    Dylan C, Sep 29, 2006
  5. Mighty

    chuck Guest

    "Dylan C" <> wrote in message
    > Merrill P. L. Worthington wrote:
    >>

    >> Mighty wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello All,
    >>>
    >>> I want to start by saying I am not too computer minded as I just
    >>> upgraded memory by 1 gig to increase speed...
    >>>
    >>> ..I now know it is the processor speed that increases speed so I would
    >>> like to know what is the worst that can happen if I overclock?
    >>>
    >>> I have a amd 3000+ venice running at 1.8ghz - I have read I can get it
    >>> up to the late 2ghz so I would like to give this a go... If the worst
    >>> that can happen is the processor breaks I will just get the 3700and san
    >>> diego but if I can save 80quid I will
    >>>
    >>> Any advice for an idiot will be greatly appreciated (if you can give me
    >>> a link to a step by step walkthrough too I would really appreciate that
    >>> as I have been searching and to be honest I have come up with nothing)
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your help
    >>>

    >> From my limited experience, the worst thing is that you'll experience a
    >> series of BSODs, lock-ups and/or memory errors.
    >>
    >> Getting the processor to run at 2.0ghz is pretty much a no brainer.
    >> That's barely above 10% increase. You may not even see any difference.
    >>
    >> I saw a difference between the 3000 Venice and 3700 San Diego, but it
    >> wasn't huge.
    >>

    > I actually ruined a motherboard doing this. I was playing around with an
    > XP-M 2600+ on an Abit NF7. If I recall, I wasn't even "overclocking." I
    > was adjusting the FSB and multiplier values to acheive stock CPU speeds,
    > but at an different FSB speeds.
    >
    > For example, I think the chip ran at 133MHz*15=2000MHz. I was
    > benchmarking it at 166*12=2000MHz and 200*10=2000MHz (without any voltage
    > changes) when suddenly the machine stopped booting. Did alot of
    > troubleshooting and narrowed it down to a dead motherboard. I've never
    > heard of this happening to anyone else, so I'm skeptical that it died as a
    > result of my "overclocking", especially since the CPU was undamaged and
    > continued to work fine.
    >
    > However, it did die, and you asked whats the worst that could happen. Its
    > also worth noting that I had owned the CPU for ~2 years and it had been
    > overclocked to 2.5GHz for the first 6-12 months, after that time, I kept
    > it at 12*166.

    That's simply because you ran the CPU at an FSB that it wasn't designed for.
    I've got an athlon XP 2500+ that has been running as a 2800+ for the past 6
    months by simply changing the multiplier from 11 to 12.5. However, if I try
    getting the same speed at 11*188 it wont boot. some chips are just finicky
    that way.

    chuck, Sep 29, 2006
  6. Mighty

    Dylan C Guest

    chuck wrote:
    > "Dylan C" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Merrill P. L. Worthington wrote:

    >>> From my limited experience, the worst thing is that you'll experience a
    >>>series of BSODs, lock-ups and/or memory errors.
    >>>
    >>>Getting the processor to run at 2.0ghz is pretty much a no brainer.
    >>>That's barely above 10% increase. You may not even see any difference.
    >>>
    >>>I saw a difference between the 3000 Venice and 3700 San Diego, but it
    >>>wasn't huge.
    >>>

    >>I actually ruined a motherboard doing this. I was playing around with an
    >>XP-M 2600+ on an Abit NF7. If I recall, I wasn't even "overclocking." I
    >>was adjusting the FSB and multiplier values to acheive stock CPU speeds,
    >>but at an different FSB speeds.
    >>
    >>For example, I think the chip ran at 133MHz*15=2000MHz. I was
    >>benchmarking it at 166*12=2000MHz and 200*10=2000MHz (without any voltage
    >>changes) when suddenly the machine stopped booting. Did alot of
    >>troubleshooting and narrowed it down to a dead motherboard. I've never
    >>heard of this happening to anyone else, so I'm skeptical that it died as a
    >>result of my "overclocking", especially since the CPU was undamaged and
    >>continued to work fine.
    >>
    >>However, it did die, and you asked whats the worst that could happen. Its
    >>also worth noting that I had owned the CPU for ~2 years and it had been
    >>overclocked to 2.5GHz for the first 6-12 months, after that time, I kept
    >>it at 12*166.
    >>

    > That's simply because you ran the CPU at an FSB that it wasn't designed for.
    > I've got an athlon XP 2500+ that has been running as a 2800+ for the past 6
    > months by simply changing the multiplier from 11 to 12.5. However, if I try
    > getting the same speed at 11*188 it wont boot. some chips are just finicky
    > that way.

    If the CPU had gone bad, that is what I would've thought. Strangely,
    the CPU still ran and overclocked fine. Only the motherboard died.
    Even a different working CPU failed to get the board to post. It was a
    very strange situation indeed, considering the board was never operated
    beyond its limits.

    -Dylan C

    Dylan C, Sep 30, 2006
  7. | If the CPU had gone bad, that is what I would've thought. Strangely,
    | the CPU still ran and overclocked fine. Only the motherboard died.
    | Even a different working CPU failed to get the board to post. It was a
    | very strange situation indeed, considering the board was never operated
    | beyond its limits.

    on higher FSB, the chipsets generates more heat (and needs higher voltage,
    if possible). so it is possible that your northbridge cooler was simple not
    big/good
    enough to cool the chip.

    david schwerbel, Oct 3, 2006
  8. Mighty

    Guest

    Mighty wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I want to start by saying I am not too computer minded as I just
    > upgraded memory by 1 gig to increase speed...
    >
    > ..I now know it is the processor speed that increases speed so I would
    > like to know what is the worst that can happen if I overclock?
    >
    > I have a amd 3000+ venice running at 1.8ghz - I have read I can get it
    > up to the late 2ghz so I would like to give this a go... If the worst
    > that can happen is the processor breaks I will just get the 3700and san
    > diego but if I can save 80quid I will
    >
    > Any advice for an idiot will be greatly appreciated (if you can give me
    > a link to a step by step walkthrough too I would really appreciate that
    > as I have been searching and to be honest I have come up with nothing)
    >
    > Thanks for your help

    Worst case scenario I suspect is that your cause the destruction of the
    universe. There are a number of reasons this could occur, it has been
    studied before (not in relation ot overclocking)
    http://doc.cern.ch/yellowrep/2003/2003-001/p1.pdf

    While our current theories and understand suggest this is unlikely, you
    never know.

    As such if you don't want to be responsible for such a catacalysm I
    suggest you don't overclock. Of course if you do cause it, no one will
    ever know so it won't really matter. And it could happen even if you
    don't overclock although it's logical to assume it's more likely if you
    do overclock (as things get more unpredictable)...

    , Oct 8, 2006
  9. Mighty

    Revanant Guest

    Mighty you scribbled in [alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd]
    on 29 Sep 2006 06:32:36 -0700
    <>
    *
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I want to start by saying I am not too computer minded as I just
    > upgraded memory by 1 gig to increase speed...
    >
    > ..I now know it is the processor speed that increases speed so I would
    > like to know what is the worst that can happen if I overclock?

    Well what happened to me is that the motherboard died, and at this point
    I think also the Graphics card died. I wasn't really overclocking a
    3700 san diego on a Epox 9npa+sli very hard. I think it was at 2200mhz
    or something. When after 3 weeks of no problems the motherboard cracked
    under the strain for some reason. Didn't have the values very high on
    anything. But I do have to warn you not all pieces of equipment will
    overclock well. Sometimes a mobo or graphics card or cpu that is
    supposed to overclock well might just crack by a deformity within
    unknown to you. Even if you just push a little, the causes won't be
    actually known unless you had an expert check the part from the
    manufacturer. So, my best advice is go easy as you increase values
    (after you read up of course), and hope that everything works out.

    Because the way things go, you never know what can't take it.

    I had the mobo replaced but putting back everything the graphics card
    doesn't work. I replaced the graphics card with a pci version to check
    the cpu and it works but I cant install ms winblows because I need a new
    pci express graphics card, or E card version. But I am hoping that
    after I get a new card all is well again. And I won't need a new cpu
    because thats another $100 out of my pocket. (sigh) But it's worth
    getting some more speed because everything just moves faster. :-D

    > I have a amd 3000+ venice running at 1.8ghz - I have read I can get it
    > up to the late 2ghz so I would like to give this a go... If the worst
    > that can happen is the processor breaks I will just get the 3700and san
    > diego but if I can save 80quid I will
    >
    > Any advice for an idiot will be greatly appreciated (if you can give me
    > a link to a step by step walkthrough too I would really appreciate that
    > as I have been searching and to be honest I have come up with nothing)
    >
    > Thanks for your help

    My last piece of advice is rather carefully said. When pushing your
    mobo to the limits you may often want to take care as you can do damage
    without knowing it. Going to fast on the settings will spell doom and
    launch you into the madness of your own private hell. But if you are
    careful and gently push your puter here a little, there a little, you
    will be a happy camper in the end. And thats most of the time. But all
    I can think of is that my computer bit the dust somehow, it maybe I
    pushed it over the edge or it could have possibly been a lightning
    strike! (sigh)

    You just want to be careful and you should be very happy in the end.

    Now, about cooling, if you buy yourself some water cooler that is a good
    idea because that is the best route to cool the cpu. But the cheaper
    route is to buy a well cooled case. I have a coolermaster centurian
    that keeps the temps down to acceptable levels with a quiet cpu cooler.

    Happy o'erclocking,
    Rev

    Revanant, Oct 12, 2006
  10. Mighty

    No one Guest

    Corrupted Data, and that CAN happen, if your data is valuable, boot from
    another drive, I can't believe no one mentioned this. But it CAN and DOES
    happen.

    No one, Oct 25, 2006