Overclocking . . . .

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by David Windisch, May 31, 2007.

  1. Hi, all concerned:

    I give up . .

    .. . on running FSX-SP1 past 13 fr/sec on either an over-everything-ed Asus
    N7N8X or a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro, 2 gigs of PC3200, 7600GS vidcrd.

    What I'd prefer is not having to set up profiles, shut down programs, and
    all that stuff.

    I'm old, tired, somewhat indolent, and want to make the problems go away,
    partly by throwing money at them.

    I think I got a good start at least in throwing money by winning an Asus
    2xAMD mobo on epay (sic) last week.

    Decided to go Intel after listening to a local or two.

    The consensus is:

    D7975XBX2 mobo, DDR2-800, bigSATA, 8800 GTS 640MB

    E6600 proc

    Don't care to fiddle with ratios and stuff any more.

    This is the last one. Really ;o) It ought to outlast any burning desire
    for obscene frspd, right?

    Kind regards,

    Dave Windisch
    Cincinnati

    Oh, yeh . . any one want the castaways? Be reasonable <BG>

    David Windisch, May 31, 2007

  2. David Windisch

    Fishface Guest

    David Windisch wrote:

    > I give up . .
    >
    > . . on running FSX-SP1 past 13 fr/sec on either an over-everything-ed Asus
    > N7N8X or a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro, 2 gigs of PC3200, 7600GS vidcrd.

    There's charts here:
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html
    ....which show frame rates for various video cards. Although they don't show
    the other relevant system specs (?!), it appears that it may be CPU limited.
    Interesting discussion here:
    http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t27683.html
    It would probably be worthwhile to discover at which point the 8800GTS
    *would* become the limit.

    <...>

    > Decided to go Intel after listening to a local or two.
    >
    > The consensus is:
    >
    > D7975XBX2 mobo, DDR2-800, bigSATA, 8800 GTS 640MB
    >
    > E6600 proc

    The E6600 overclocked to 3.2 or so sounds like a reasonable choice.
    The guys in the forum believe the game not to be multithreaded.

    > Don't care to fiddle with ratios and stuff any more.

    Ratios?

    Fishface, May 31, 2007

  3. David Windisch

    Ed Medlin Guest

    "Fishface" <?> wrote in message
    > David Windisch wrote:
    >
    >> I give up . .
    >>
    >> . . on running FSX-SP1 past 13 fr/sec on either an over-everything-ed
    >> Asus
    >> N7N8X or a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro, 2 gigs of PC3200, 7600GS vidcrd.

    > There's charts here:
    > http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html
    > ...which show frame rates for various video cards. Although they don't
    > show
    > the other relevant system specs (?!), it appears that it may be CPU
    > limited.
    > Interesting discussion here:
    > http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t27683.html
    > It would probably be worthwhile to discover at which point the 8800GTS
    > *would* become the limit.
    >
    > <...>
    >
    >> Decided to go Intel after listening to a local or two.
    >>
    >> The consensus is:
    >>
    >> D7975XBX2 mobo, DDR2-800, bigSATA, 8800 GTS 640MB
    >>
    >> E6600 proc

    > The E6600 overclocked to 3.2 or so sounds like a reasonable choice.
    > The guys in the forum believe the game not to be multithreaded.
    >
    >> Don't care to fiddle with ratios and stuff any more.

    > Ratios?

    FSX SP1 improved multi-core usage for the program. It now seems to
    operate with dual core Intels much better.
    I think he means memory ratios to CPU. I am not familiar with the bios
    on that particular MB so I am not sure what OC options he may have.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, May 31, 2007
  4. David Windisch

    R. J. Salvi Guest

    "David Windisch" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, all concerned:
    >
    > I give up . .
    >
    > . . on running FSX-SP1 past 13 fr/sec on either an over-everything-ed Asus
    > N7N8X or a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro, 2 gigs of PC3200, 7600GS vidcrd.
    >
    > What I'd prefer is not having to set up profiles, shut down programs, and
    > all that stuff.
    >
    > I'm old, tired, somewhat indolent, and want to make the problems go away,
    > partly by throwing money at them.
    >
    > I think I got a good start at least in throwing money by winning an Asus
    > 2xAMD mobo on epay (sic) last week.
    >
    > Decided to go Intel after listening to a local or two.
    >
    > The consensus is:
    >
    > D7975XBX2 mobo, DDR2-800, bigSATA, 8800 GTS 640MB
    >
    > E6600 proc
    >
    > Don't care to fiddle with ratios and stuff any more.
    >
    > This is the last one. Really ;o) It ought to outlast any burning desire
    > for obscene frspd, right?

    Could be a very nice system. Here's mine:

    QX6700
    DDR2-800 (3GB)
    D7975XBX2 (latest BIOS - 5/23/07)
    eVGA 8800GTS (640 MB)
    Fusion HDTV Express
    150GB Raptor
    Vista Biz x86

    The extent of my overclocking was to simply raise the multiplier to 12 (from
    10) and lower vCore to 1.2875 (from 1.35). The CPU runs at 3.19GHz and is
    stable as a rock. I had previously experimented setting it up with a CPU
    multiplier of 8 and the FSB set to 1333 (RAM set to DDR2-667 with a final
    freq. of 832MHz). At 1333 x 8, the CPU was still at 2.66GHz with only a
    marginal boost in performance, but the RAM benchmarks jumped noticeably due
    to the higher FSB. I mention this FSB tweak because afaik, the E6600 doesn't
    allow a multiplier change. I've since settled with just a multiplier-based
    overclocking scheme.

    I'm not a gamer so I can't shed any light on fps, but the machine performs
    nicely. I don't think you'll regret your choice(s).

    But, if $$$ were no object, you could go this route:

    Supermicro X7DAL-E+
    http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon1333/5000X/X7DAL-E .cfm
    (2) XEON X5355 quad-core

    ....though you wouldn't be able to overclock it. I know, who cares. :)
    --
    RJ

    R. J. Salvi, May 31, 2007
  5. David Windisch

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    If you can wait a few days, you might wish to consider a motherboard based
    on the new Intel P35 chipset. (Some online vendors claim stock now, but some
    like www.newegg.com do not - maybe Newegg is waiting for the official
    announcement, which I believe is expected on 4 June.)

    The performance of the new boards is supposed to be only slightly better
    than the 975X (with DDR2 memory), but you may want to investigate further.

    Return address scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

    Bob Knowlden, Jun 1, 2007
  6. Tks to all the reply-ers. I can wait, and thanks again.
    Regards Dave

    "Bob Knowlden" <> wrote in message
    > If you can wait a few days, you might wish to consider a motherboard based
    > on the new Intel P35 chipset. (Some online vendors claim stock now, but
    > some like www.newegg.com do not - maybe Newegg is waiting for the official
    > announcement, which I believe is expected on 4 June.)
    >
    > The performance of the new boards is supposed to be only slightly better
    > than the 975X (with DDR2 memory), but you may want to investigate further.

    SNIP

    David Windisch, Jun 1, 2007
  7. David Windisch

    don't look Guest

    How do you raise a locked multiplier??

    don't look, Jun 1, 2007
  8. David Windisch

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'don't look' wrote:
    | How do you raise a locked multiplier??
    _____

    The Extreme versions of Core 2 have unlocked multipliers. The QX6700 and
    X6800 have unlocked multipliers and cost just less than $1000 US.

    For other Core 2 Duo CPUs the multiplier can be set to stock or lower, but
    not above.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Jun 2, 2007
  9. David Windisch