Overheating Toshiba A45 series

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Mike S., Jan 25, 2012.

  1. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    After replacing my wife's old Toshiba A45-S120, I am now at leisure to
    explore why it kept slowing down and displaying a Toshiba driver-generated
    warning about cooling system failure. From Googling these words one can
    guess that it's a common issue.

    The popular wisdom is that the CPU's heat sink assembly is encrusted with
    dust, preventing air flow. Fortunately the whole shebang is under 2 easily
    removed doors on the underside. Surprisingly though I saw very little dust
    in the aluminum vanes of the heat sink, but nevertheless cleaned it out
    thoroughly and reseated the whole assembly on the CPU atop a brand new
    coating of thermal compound. Same problem.

    Tooling around the back of the laptop I find that there is a tiny second
    fan near the USB ports. It turns freely if I blow air inside, and doesn't
    really seem to be a dust collection point. However, with the machine
    powered on, I see it stuttering and struggling to turn a few degrees at a
    time. Unfortunately there is no door from which to reach this one easily
    (I see it behind the rear grating) and it seems to spin on its own. This
    suggests to me that it's an electrical problem with the
    fan/controller/sensor which is probably not economical to even attempt on
    a dinosaur of this age.

    Service manuals for this series don't seem to exist; others have looked.
    Mike S., Jan 25, 2012