P2B-D POST problems

Discussion in 'Asus' started by nobody@nowhere.com, Nov 9, 2003.

  1. Guest

    I have a Asus P2B-D rev 1.06 D03 that I just picked up on Ebay. I am
    trying to get it to finish POST and I am having problems with it. I
    have it bare on the bench. Right now I have tested good components
    from my bench box in it

    PIII 500
    One Kingston SDRAM
    PCI video card
    Keyboard.
    External speaker
    monetary switch to turn it on
    Good new Enermax 350 watt PS

    With the terminator card in slot 2 it won't post at all, not a beep
    not a video signal..nothing. The board powers up, the CPU fan starts
    up but that is it.

    With the terminator card out the POST starts. The usual one beep from
    the external speaker. Correctly identifies the RAM and the CPU But
    then I get a continuos beeping from the onboard speaker, and a
    keyboard error, with no ability to input keyboard commands. I just end
    up after the < Detecting HDD > screen at

    Keyboard Error or no keyboard present
    CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded

    Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter Setup

    but I have no keyboard response, and my onboard speaker keeps up a
    continuous chirping, which happens whether or not a keyboard is
    plugged in or not.

    I have re seated everything, checked the jumpers, tried three
    different power supplies, pulled the Kingston RAM out and put the RAM
    that came with the board = Hyundai PC 100 ECC Registered in,....
    Pulled the battery and shorted the leads. Same behavior, same problem.

    I am out of ideas???

    , Nov 9, 2003

  2. Guest

    Update

    I tried a USB keyboard. This allows me to use the keyboard, and go the
    BIOS and save setup defaults. It will then POST untill it doesn't find
    a floppy to boot from, which isn't there.

    However, the chirping from the on board speaker never ceases and I
    still can not post with the terminator card in place.

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 20:01:14 -0800, wrote:

    > I have a Asus P2B-D rev 1.06 D03 that I just picked up on Ebay. I am
    >trying to get it to finish POST and I am having problems with it. I
    >have it bare on the bench. Right now I have tested good components
    >from my bench box in it
    >

    >PIII 500
    >One Kingston SDRAM
    >PCI video card
    >Keyboard.
    >External speaker
    >monetary switch to turn it on
    >Good new Enermax 350 watt PS
    >

    >With the terminator card in slot 2 it won't post at all, not a beep
    >not a video signal..nothing. The board powers up, the CPU fan starts
    >up but that is it.
    >

    >With the terminator card out the POST starts. The usual one beep from
    >the external speaker. Correctly identifies the RAM and the CPU But
    >then I get a continuos beeping from the onboard speaker, and a
    >keyboard error, with no ability to input keyboard commands. I just end
    >up after the < Detecting HDD > screen at
    >

    >Keyboard Error or no keyboard present
    >CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded
    >

    >Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter Setup
    >

    >but I have no keyboard response, and my onboard speaker keeps up a
    >continuous chirping, which happens whether or not a keyboard is
    >plugged in or not.
    >

    >I have re seated everything, checked the jumpers, tried three
    >different power supplies, pulled the Kingston RAM out and put the RAM
    >that came with the board = Hyundai PC 100 ECC Registered in,....
    >Pulled the battery and shorted the leads. Same behavior, same problem.
    >

    >I am out of ideas???

    , Nov 9, 2003

  3. P2B Guest

    wrote:
    > Update
    >
    > I tried a USB keyboard. This allows me to use the keyboard, and go the
    > BIOS and save setup defaults. It will then POST untill it doesn't find
    > a floppy to boot from, which isn't there.
    >
    > However, the chirping from the on board speaker never ceases and I
    > still can not post with the terminator card in place.

    I think the terminator card problem is a non-issue - I've never used a
    terminator, these boards will quite happily run a single CPU in either
    slot with the other slot empty... speaking of which, have you tried the
    CPU in the other slot? Any change?

    It's very difficult to diagnose POST problems without a POST diagnostic
    card - borrow one if you can. The Award BIOS post code 0Eh description
    is "test F000h segment shadow to see whether it is R/W-able or not. If
    test fails, keep beeping the speaker". I suspect this is what's
    happening on your board.

    F000h is the memory location where BIOS starts execution. It copies
    itself to RAM (the "shadow") to enable faster execution, and I suspect
    this step is failing resulting in the continuous beeping. I'd suggest
    swapping out the RAM, but you already did that...

    I don't have direct experience of this problem, but the fact it happens
    with two different RAM modules, and you have keyboard detection problems
    as well, makes me suspect a messed-up BIOS. About all I can suggest is:

    - make sure you have a clean BIOS reset: disconnect the power supply
    from the board, remove the battery (check it's voltage while out), and
    short the battery contacts together for 60 seconds.
    - remove the BIOS chip, check the pins are straight and clean, re-insert
    firmly.
    - give the board a careful physical inspection under magnification,
    looking for damaged traces, foreign objects in the slots, bent pins on
    peripheral and I/O connectors etc.
    - try the RAM in another slot?

    HTH, sorry I couldn't be more specific...

    P2B

    P2B, Nov 11, 2003