    Any help here?

    Cheers.
    Al.
    Al, Aug 6, 2008

  2. Al

    Ben Myers Guest

    Agree. That is a very nice case. Very possible. Gateway used the same chassis
    for some of its earlier P4 systems.

    You'll need a P4 motherboard, either Socket 478 or LGA 775, a different CPU,
    heat sink/cooling fan, memory, and power supply (with a higher wattage rating
    and an ATX12v 4-pin connector). If you go with LGA 775, you'll usually need a
    PCI-Express graphics card unless the motherboard has integrated video. A Socket
    478 board uses an AGP card instead. I forget the exact dimensions of the power
    supply for sure, but I seem to recall that the power supply is a standard ATX
    form factor... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 6, 2008

  3. On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 20:08:43 +0100, Al wrote:

    > I have an old P3 Gateway PC, and I love the look of it. I'd like to know
    > if it's possible to upgrade the internals to a P4 system by replacing
    > the motherboard, power supply etc.,. Does anyone know if this is a
    > possibility? The case is a 'Performance 800' and is one of those where
    > the hard drives just clip in rather than screw in. The case itself is a
    > work of art, too good to just throw away.
    > Any help here?
    >
    > Cheers.
    > Al.

    * * *
    Al,

    I have made a template to alter the back panel for a regular power supply
    in the performance 500 cases, I have received a good number of these
    cases in the past. Tis, funny the holes are there for the power supply
    screws...

    I feel there is a lots of room in these cases mid-tower cases for the
    proper amount of air movement for the warmer dual core processors, but
    the back plate is another problem for the modern motherboards... I would
    love to have a Bridgeport Horizontal Mill to precisely alter these for a
    modern backplate, but I use a Dremel Tool with a Flex Shaft for this
    modification... I agree I like the style of performance case...

    For my AMD Quad, I have restored a Aopen HX08 Housing, but I am going to
    replace the floppy with a 4 port USB Card... Since my A770M-A
    Motherboard does not have a connector for a floppy. I modified the
    mounting slightly to afix a USB Floppy, but I never use it with my 64-bit
    Mepis7 Linux...

    JR the postman
    JR the Postman, Aug 9, 2008
  4. Al

    Owl Guest

    Yup, it's possible. My Gateway P4 actually came in that case...everything
    clips pretty much, of all the cases I've ever had, that one is my favorite,
    excellent design, never throwing mine away either :)

    Owl, Sep 7, 2008