    Brett

    "Bacon and eggs. A lifetime commitment for a pig, a day's work for a
    chicken"

    123, Dec 5, 2006

  2. 123

    DRS Guest

    "123" <> wrote in message
    news:el3323$648$
    > Hi
    >
    > Is it possible to install a Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card and also
    > use the onboard SoundMAX card as well. I have a Antec 160 case and
    > would like to keep using the front Audio connectors, and the Sound
    > Blaster does not seem to have the correct pins for the front panel.

    It is possible to connect the analogue jacks to the XFi Extreme Music card,
    despite what Creative's support will tell you. See
    http://forums.creative.com:80/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&message.id=53474

    DRS, Dec 5, 2006

  3. 123

    DaveW Guest

    You CANNOT use both the onboard sound and a soundcard at the same time.

    --
    DaveW

    ----------------

    DaveW, Dec 5, 2006
  4. 123

    123 Guest

    Hi

    Installed the X-Fi, and the onboard sound also still works. I use the X-Fi
    for all audio playback. The onboard sound card is used for recording. Works
    like a charm, and there were no tricks involved.

    123, Dec 8, 2006
  5. 123

    tcsenter Guest

    123 wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Is it possible to install a Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card and also use the
    > onboard SoundMAX card as well.

    This is usually possible if the BIOS was not designed to automatically
    disable the onboard audio device when a second audio device is present,
    but that doesn't mean the drivers will always get along well. Some
    motherboard have two options for onboard audio; auto and disabled. The
    'auto' option typically will let the BIOS disable onboard audio when it
    detects another audio device during POST. The enabled option will
    leave the audio enabled no matter what.

    Good luck!

    Regards,

    Tim